Why is film music largely a guy's interest more than a girl's?

Kevin

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's a causative factor. It's more likely that the lack of female film composers and the lack of female film score fans are both caused by another set of factors. What those are...I'm really not sure. But I've met my fair share of female film score fans, I suppose. I'd say the gender gap is greatly exaggerated in JWfan's membership demographics.

It's because women have more important things to do...

Like cooking.

I keed, I keed!

But seriously, it does seem to be guys who usually geek out and become fanatics of certain things - film scores included (although that doesn't explain why girls freak out for boy bands).

Basically, I got nothing.

I've said it before, there may not be a lot of hardcore female score fans but you would be suprised at the amount of women who have 4 or 5 film scores in their CD collections.

I've said it before, there may not be a lot of hardcore female score fans but you would be suprised at the amount of women who have 4 or 5 film scores in their CD collections.

Yeah - and I bet you five bucks that the score to 'Titanic' is one of them.

Hey it can make the discussion about your passion for film scores alot easier.

Hey it can make the discussion about your passion for film scores alot easier.

Hmmmm, never really thought about it that way MO - and I guess that after you get to 'know them', THEN you could start to ridicule them for their tastes.

Brilliant!

-No big female composer names out there.

Very few anyway. Don't discredit Shirley Walker.

Rachel Portman, on the other hand... ;)

She can't say no to female period films.

There's the score to Steven Spielberg's Taken by this Laura Karpman. I must say I am impressed by this one

And probably Twilight now

There's the score to Steven Spielberg's Taken by this Laura Karpman. I must say I am impressed by this one

And probably Twilight now

And Pirates of the Carribean or Lord of the Rings...

My theory is that, people become interested in film scores after they have seen movies with exceptional scores such as Star Wars, Schindler's List, etc (not favoring williams in particular) and those kinds of movies don't appeal to women as much they do to men. So that leads to less women being interested in film score than men (me being an exception to that)

My theory is that, people become interested in film scores after they have seen movies with exceptional scores such as Star Wars, Schindler's List, etc (not favoring williams in particular) and those kinds of movies don't appeal to women as much they do to men. So that leads to less women being interested in film score than men (me being an exception to that)

That's a good point. If you consider the genres of films that the majority of the female audiences are fond of (romantic comedies, musicals, anything with cute animals, etc) that makes sense since the music in those films are usually based mostly on popular songs, rather than original scores.

I'd say musicals are probably the equivalent for the general female audiences.

-No big female composer names out there.

Any other ideas?

That's about the most sexist statement I've read on here in a while.

Bad news, my wife loves film scores as much as I do. Just cause she doesn't blog about it doesn't mean she isn't passionate about them. For example - it was 5 months before I got my Memoirs of a Geisha CD back from her.

And she can't stand Titanic

Sexism would be saying that women shouldn't like or write film scores, not simply observing that there are fewer women than men who do so.

Yes. This is a legitimate query.

Williamsfan does bring up another valid point though. Women don't have the time nor probably enjoy arguing with people online.

Well, some obviously do.

I'm sure a lot of them do. Probably just not about film music.

I will again bring up the musicals thing. From my experience, most women I know are as enthusiastic about musicals as us here at jwfan are about film scores in general. I don't think I've met a girl as interested in film music as I am. Musicals though.. that's what most of the women I know are a big fan of.

I do know a lot of women who get really into musicals, and will occasionally partake of a film score or two - I'm just the opposite.

Same here. The ones that are into film scores that I know have stuff like Gladiator, LOTR, POTC and one or two of the Potter scores in their collection. No more than that though.

And I feel the same about musicals. For some reason I just hate most of them.

Let's see. Girls that I know are into...

Edward Scissorhands

Forrest Gump

Castaway

Titanic

well-known themes e.g. Raiders March

movie musicals like Chicago and Disney films

I don't know anybody who buys song/"music inspired by" albums.

Let's see. Girls that I know are into...

movie musicals like Chicago and Disney films

Oh yeah, I know what you are talking about.But one of my friends made me angry when I tried to listen to Danny Elfman's "Chicago" pieces on her iPod, only to discover that she did not put them on there because they were not songs! Women....

Oh, wait, do not forget "Across the Universe"! Girls seem to find that one to be irresistable.

Well what shall I say, since my daddy is a huge OST Collector I grew up with filmmusic, Star Wars especially, Girls are interested in filmmusic of course. But you don't see much female nerds.

I mean I am, but then again I am not a typical girl. but in the end, it doesn't matter.

A good girlfriend of mine has following CDs at home:

Swept from the Sea, Zorro, What lies beneath, SAaving Private Ryan, Episode I; JP 2 The Lost World, Armageddon, Gladiator, Titantic, Shakespeare in Love, Lord of the Rings etc.. I think it is a very good mix and naothing what some male apes would say "Yeaah, thats typical CD collection for a girl!"

being a symphonic composer is a masculine dominated profession, the chilchee would say that, women don't have the logical, mathematical analysis aproach, like man which you need for being a composer. well at least they don't have the same admiration for such things.

Then again, my friend shake their hads when I listen to "Battle in the Snow" and they say it isn'Ät female what I do, so I reply: "It isn't female to have a good musical taste?" I told it before i know ;)

Of the female listeners of film music I've known, they've preferred James Horner, Howard Shore and John Barry. The bombast of JW didn't really appeal, even though there was an appreciation of his legacy.

Sexism would be saying that women shouldn't like or write film scores, not simply observing that there are fewer women than men who do so.

No, what's sexist about that statement is to say that women don't listen to film scores because they're are very few, if any, female score writers.

By that definition, women shouldn't like music period because it is a very male dominated.

But, this is "TheListener" topic, so......yeah......

Oh, wait, do not forget "Across the Universe"! Girls seem to find that one to be irresistable.

My girlfriend made me sit through Mamma Mia! the movie a few days ago. You know, I used to like Abba songs. Now I'm too scared to listen to them and have terrible nightmares where Pierce Brosnan is under my bed singing SOS.

:thumbup:

My girlfriend made me sit through Mamma Mia! the movie a few days ago. You know, I used to like Abba songs. Now I'm too scared to listen to them and have terrible nightmares where Pierce Brosnan is under my bed singing SOS.

:thumbup:

You better have gotten some nooky for that!

It doesn't help that whenever a new female member joins a message board half the male population goes into their own version of Pon Farr.

It doesn't help that whenever a new female member joins a message board half the male population goes into their own version of Pon Farr.

(Upon seeing what that meant): You know, what was really funny was that I was listening to "Wreckage and Rape" from "Alien 3" when I read your post.

But that only happens on every seventh post

:happybday:

If anything drives the ladies away on these boards, it must be all the Trek talk that occurs quite frequently.