How do you 'use' soundtrack music in your lives?

charlesk

I wonder: how do you guys 'use' soundtrack music in your lives? Where and how do you listen to it?

I'll give some of my 'uses', describing a typical day:

In the car, while commuting from home to office - I live in an apartment, so I can't listen to soundtracks as loud as it should be, but my car is MY domain. Soundtrack music makes every trip an adventure. The cue "Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park is perfect to begin any trip, and is particularly motivating for that first drive to the office on Monday mornings. In a lucky day, the wonderful majestic Jurassic Park theme comes just in sync with my entering the highway. Glorious moment.

In the car wash - This I discovered by chance. I was in a touchless carwash machine, the ones where the car is stopped and the machine moves around. I was listening to Goldenthal's score for Final Fantasy. The track was Adagio And Transfiguration. The slow part accompanied the soaking of the car. When the dryer machine started and began moving over the car, the track exploded into the Transfiguration part. The dryer machine noise, which produces a low bass sound that makes the whole car vibrate, sound like a big bass drum that fit perfectly with the Transfiguration, creating a thrilling moment. Try to sync your car wash machine with this cue to experience it yourselves!

At the Gym:

- In the stationary bicycle: I use tracks like ET's "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye". Just when you begin to feel tired, the fabulous bicycle theme will give you the kick of energy you need to got you pedaling like crazy. When the take of part comes, people looking at you will think you're trying to make the stationary bike to fly. And the Saying goodby will allow to complete the excercise with a big, stupid smile.

- In the stepping machine: I used tracks like Lost World's "The hunt", "Sara's Rescue", "Visitor in San Diego" as well as Arnold's "Ladder Fight" from The Musketeer and other action cues. They are usually long and variated, so you don't get bored and it makes you forget the silliness of steping in a machine to get nowhere.

So, how about you?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning:

I get up and go in the bathroom and listen to John Williams Music.

In School:

When we have music lesson everybody wants that I play something on the Piano. (John Williams Music Again)

Evening:

I listen to JWM and try to conduct pieces like the Maestro himself :)

In bed:

After I turned out all lights I listen to Jw Music again (with headphones)

I can say that I don`t listen to Movie Music often.....

.....Moviemusic is my Live.

I don't bring c.d's in my car not to damage them,but have a buch of Wiliams minidisks I recorded.The car is a great place to listen to music loud without beeing tied down to headphones.

today was a good example for a typical "soundtrack" day. And soundtrack days usually appear 7 days a week :biglaugh: :

after school I bought "Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets" and rushed home. At home I turned on my PC (because I do NOT own a stereo) , insert the CD (pfff... lucky me... no copy protection) and convert the tracks into MP3 data. I rip all CDs I buy, so that they don' t get scratched by my drive. And my "Soundtracks" folder is very well tagged, categorized and HUGE (for someone who is a soundtrack fan since March 2001).

Now the "Repeat all" mode is activated an I start to listen to this beautiful soundtrack. After listening to the soundtrack for about 3 or 4 time I put in the new soundtrack I got from ebay (normally I buy around 3 CDs a week at Ebay, because it's so damn cheap). As long as I am home there is always a soundtrack playing in the background. Ok, NEARLY always... Except when we got visitors...

oh... and when I am with my friends (who mainly listen to Linkin Park and this kind of music) I always try to put in filmmusic.

But they only accept "The Rock" by Hans Zimmer and "Launch" from the score of "Armageddon" because these are action cues.

In short: I listen to soundtracks whenever there is a possibility.

Every time I drive, and every morning on my way to school in particular, I listen to film music . Sometimes I wish I lived farther away so I could have time for more music! My morning is not complete without this.

After school at the YMCA I listen to some action or exciting tracks on the treadmill.

At night on the computer if I'm not watching TV.

As I read and go to sleep in bed.

Ray Barnsbury-thankful beyond belief for having discoovered the joys of movie music!

Ray Barnsbury-thankful beyond belief for having discoovered the joys of movie music!

AMEN! me, i listen to film music a whole lot. i have about a fifteen minute commute in the morning as well as in the afternoon on the way back in which i listen to it and whenever i am on the computer or getting some work done i usually have something on. the only cd i listen to under certain circumstances The Lost World on a rainy day. i've always thought of it as a rainy-day score.

Ted, who listens to A LOT of John Williams music

I'm pretty conservative and dare I say it 'anal' about when I listen to my soundtracks. Ever since I got my new stereo system about half way through this year (just in time for Attack of the Clones :devil: ) I won't listen to them on anything but that. I don't have a car, I don't go to the gym, hell I don't even own a portable, personal CD player, let alone headphones which tend to break whenever I'm around. Just like a lot of electronic, overtly technological equipment really. I'm telling you it's my unique electro-magnetic field...

Anyway, I try to listen to my soundtracks when they're appropriate with my mood and my environment (which is fairly static and controlled in my room). I will almost always only listen to CDs like A.I. and Kundun and The Thin Red Line at night, preferrably just before sleeping because they are so evocative and soothing. CDs like The Patriot, Dances with Wolves, Amistad and The Virgin Suicides work best during daylight hours, preferably the afternoon, when it's nice and sunny. And the Star Wars soundtracks are just so excellent that they can be played anytime of course :)

CYPHER

I used a combination between Summon the Heroes and Olympic Fanfare at the ceremony of my wedding :devil: It sounded great in the church !

Well, that is THE most original use I've heard so far. Williams would be flattered to use his music instead of the traditional Mendelssohn/Wagner marches. You forgot the Throne Room from Star Wars. Maybe in my wedding...

When I got married this past August we had planned to use Williams as well but my wife and I and most of the wedding party couldn't keep a straight face when the Throne Room was played so we ditched it in favor of traditional music.

We did use For Always for our first dance.

I remember when I was in high school, when I was in my gym class (we were doing a thing called "Acrogym", which is in fact fast rythmical dance in group, with very difficults combination of mouvements, with positions to do such as pyramids and other stuff...), I once brought my TESB CD and we used to practise and to warm ourselves on the imperial march and the Batlle in the snow... great memories there I tell ya.. :sigh:

I normally spend 2 hours each day standing in front of the stereo, doing nothing else besides listening to John Williams' music. Every day I do this and I never sit down.

I may also listen to it when studying or making a project of some sort, but I love just to listen to the music, standing and doing nothing more.