1978 Raiders Story Conference Transcript

Smeagol

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really awesome. I won't be able to read this until about two months from now but oh man, I'm looking forward to it. Looks like it'll be a pretty interesting read.

Can I change the title of the topic? It should read 78 instead of 87. But you guys probably know that already ;)

It's a shame there are 2 pages missing. Although remarkable that only 2 are missing out of all of them. I wonder if we will ever see what the two missing pages contain.

The search for the holy grail continues! :(

It is quite interesting. I find that most of the bad unused ideas come from Spielberg, who seems to want a lot of non-serious gags, cliches and comedy, with Lucas pulling for a more serious tone. It was almost as if Spielberg wanted to do it as a light hearted send-up of classic movies, while Lucas wanted it gritty and real. We also should remember how it was Spielberg who wanted to lighten up Doom, and that the most jokey one of all was Spielberg's baby, Crusade. All this makes me think that Spielberg is to blame for KotCS's lack of suspense and seriousness. I have to say, it is good Lucas got his way 9 times out of 10 with Raiders. He probably let Spielberg have more freedom on the others. Spielberg used to often say that Raiders was not his film, and he was just a hired gun. I now see why.

That said, Spielberg did come up with some great moments. But without Lucas' veto power, it would have been a comedy. Spielberg's previous film was 1941.

Also, Kasdan did a good job of putting Lucas' vision into script form, but he really can't be credited for the brilliance of the first movie after reading this.

I could not help but smile when I read Spielberg's side comments when Lucas kept talking and talking. And Spielberg's father/son/family issues seem to be a psychological trauma that goes way back. He wanted yet again to insert a father figure/mentor into the picture which was done in one way with Denholm Elliot though not to such degree Spielberg might have wanted. But I guess in TLC he did get his wish.

And I am just on page 20 here so a few pages to go yet :P

Ok, so what's with Lucas and this fascination he has with....how can I put this mildly...."young love"?

Marion and Indy were going to have an affair when she was going to be ELEVEN!!!!!? And then they changed it to 14 or 15?! And you have the same idea in TPM.

I did not need to know that. I was very happy with when Marion said "I was a child! It was wrong and you knew it." She meant she was like, 17 or 18.

I think I'm scarred now.

Ok, so what's with Lucas and this fascination he has with....how can I put this mildly...."young love"?

Marion and Indy were going to have an affair when she was going to be ELEVEN!!!!!? And then they changed it to 14 or 15?! And you have the same idea in TPM.

I did not need to know that. I was very happy with when Marion said "I was a child! It was wrong and you knew it." She meant she was like, 17 or 18.

I think I'm scarred now.

marion has been 10 years younger than indy... always.

I think I'm scarred now.

Scary! :eek: Lucas raped your adulthood in the strangest way possible. His arm has grown long indeed. By saying something in 1978 he ruined the innocence in 2009. Like a ghost rising from the past! [insert spooky theremin music]

Scary! :eek: Lucas raped your adulthood in the strangest way possible. His arm has grown long indeed. By saying something in 1978 he ruined the innocence in 2009. Like a ghost rising from the past! [insert spooky theremin music]

I hope this is sarcasm... If so, it is some good sarcasm :)

I just started reading this today. Fascinating stuff. Parts of it are a bit disillusioning, like hearing that Spielberg and Lucas didn't have some secret process for these ideas...but hearing how one idea transforms within a couple of sentences into something pretty close or identical to the one we know and love is pretty thrilling. The ideas on display, and the true contribution that each of the people made is wonderful to here.