What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

It only has two main characters (the Gilmore girls) and a handful of major secondary characters, but there's a strong focus on portraying the small town community of Stars Hollow in all its weirdness and eccentricity, and that includes a big number of regularly recurring minor characters. That part reminds me a lot of Twin Peaks.

Stars Hollow is in fact nothing more than a Warner back lot. Which I think in a way explains why all characters, regardless of their characters (which are all very clearly worked out over the years), constantly reference and quotes Hollywood films and series from all ages.

Isn't it a chick show, or am I quite wrong? I remember by brother used to say he watched it and we'd take the piss out of him (just for a laugh). "Gilmore Girls" sounds like a chick show, no?

It's the sort of "chick show" that shows that a good film or series is beyond these labels. I'd rather watch a good chick flick than a lame... dick flick (according to Google, that seems to be the established term).

I was surprised when I first started watching it... I expected it to be a run of the mill (i.e. not particularly good or notable in any way) chick show, but lots of male friends watched it.

It's a chick show in the same way that Love Actually is a chick flick. If you dislike that for the same reason, so be it.

Watched the pilot of Firefly a second time, this time with the gf (she hates sci-fi, but Firefly isn't really sci-fi). I always remember thinking that the feature length pilot was hard going and easily the weakest part of the series, but sitting through it again has changed my mind a lot about that now, because I really enjoyed it. Maybe knowing the characters helps, but there's loads of good moments from start to finish really.

The Firefly pilot really went all out on the "Western in Space" concept, starting off with a science-fiction battle and having the episode's main antagonist show up on horseback by the end of the episode. If you're new to the series, I can see how that can be a little hard to swallow.

There's great stuff in there, though.

IMO, Heart of Gold is easily the show's weakest episode. Although it still has some good Mal/Inara bits, that episode just didn't work.

Watched the pilot of Firefly a second time, this time with the gf (she hates sci-fi, but Firefly isn't really sci-fi). I always remember thinking that the feature length pilot was hard going and easily the weakest part of the series, but sitting through it again has changed my mind a lot about that now, because I really enjoyed it. Maybe knowing the characters helps, but there's loads of good moments from start to finish really.

The Firefly pilot really went all out on the "Western in Space" concept, starting off with a science-fiction battle and having the episode's main antagonist show up on horseback by the end of the episode. If you're new to the series, I can see how that can be a little hard to swallow.

I watched the pilot years ago, and still haven't mustered the motivation to look into the rest.

My gf just told me it's one of her favourite shows. She said it is indeed a "chick show", but that there's "more to it than that".

So yeah.

It's one of my gf's favorites as well. I saw a good portion of it as she was going through the series recently and actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's weird seeing Alexis Bledel as this little girl though since I only knew her as the whore in Sin City at the time.

Maybe I'll give it a go sometime, since she has the dvd's.

I was bored by the Pilot but the show gets better as it moves on. Then comes the movie, which has an incomprehensible plot.

Really? You couldn't follow it even after seeing the show?

I can't wait to get to the movie again, I think it's brilliant (for a TV show movie)!

Mr. Robot S1E1

A show of much acclaim this summer, so I decided to check it out. It's pretty good, at least for a start. An interesting premise, with a promising visual style (I like some of the framing) and some cheeky writing. Let's hope the narrator's anti-capitalist tirades don't get too cumbersome, and that we don't end up with a generic hacker show with cookie-cutter characters.

I knew who was who but I couldn't follow the plot. I've seen it several times and I still have no idea what's going on.

You know how they say we only use 10% of our brain? I'm starting to think you only use 5% of yours!

We're talking about Firefly and Serenity, right? You think Serenity is hard to follow? And muddled?

Are you serious?

I had a similar feeling with Serenity, it didn't hook me at all, basically because I saw the film years before Firefly (which on my first try I gave up after the pilot). The second try was more succesful and I had a blast. Then Serenity made a lot more sense. Knowing the characters and how they interacted with each other made all the difference.

It's like watching Return of the Jedi years before The Phantom Menace, it doesn't make sense either. :P

Huh. I only saw Serenity one time (in the theater, after I saw the show) and don't recall being even slightly confused once, nor have I ever heard anyone else have that complaint about the movie. Were you on drugs, Drax?

I watched the show, then the movie. I got the characters - that was no problem. But I couldn't understand why the bad guys want River, what they're hiding on that planet with all the dead people, how the hell does the Serenity crew even find out about that planet? What's happening and why does it matter?

Whedon usually knocks out some taut and easy to follow scripts, but the narrative of Serenity is a maze of convoluted plot elements and half-explanations that severely impede whatever it's trying to communicate.

Watching Serenity is like talking to one of those eggheads at industry conferences who talk your ears out about whatever they're expert at, you don't understand a word they're talking about but you just smile and nod politely.

I knew who was who but I couldn't follow the plot. I've seen it several times and I still have no idea what's going on.

You know how they say we only use 10% of our brain? I'm starting to think you only use 5% of yours!

Don't encourage belief in this common misinformation!

Mr. Robot S1E1

A show of much acclaim this summer, so I decided to check it out. It's pretty good, at least for a start. An interesting premise, with a promising visual style (I like some of the framing) and some cheeky writing. Let's hope the narrator's anti-capitalist tirades don't get too cumbersome, and that we don't end up with a generic hacker show with cookie-cutter characters.

The commercials make it look absolutely dreadful! One of those embarrassment-by-proxy things.

I watched the show, then the movie. I got the characters - that was no problem. But I couldn't understand why the bad guys want River, what they're hiding on that planet with all the dead people, how the hell does the Serenity crew even find out about that planet? What's happening and why does it matter?

Whedon usually knocks out some taut and easy to follow scripts, but the narrative of Serenity is a maze of convoluted plot elements and half-explanations that severely impede whatever it's trying to communicate.

Watching Serenity is like talking to one of those eggheads at industry conferences who talk your ears out about whatever they're expert at, you don't understand a word they're talking about but you just smile and nod politely.

I really do understand why you watch The Bold & The Beautiful now Drax. I really do.

Huh. I only saw Serenity one time (in the theater, after I saw the show) and don't recall being even slightly confused once, nor have I ever heard anyone else have that complaint about the movie. Were you on drugs, Drax?

I don't remember being confused but I didn't really like it. Watching it again after the series made the difference. Serenity, the movie, is a fan affair.

Alex

Yea, I can't imagine I would have liked the movie at all if I had never seen the show before

Mr. Robot S1E1

The commercials make it look absolutely dreadful! One of those embarrassment-by-proxy things.

Yeah, the commercial made it seem terribly amateurish. But I liked the pilot, not sure how long that'll last though.

Does Cremers Jr. take after you in taste?

I'm not sure if you'll like it Alex. From the pilot, it's fairly derivative and not as "revolutionary" as the people have praised it to be. But it's engaging and entertaining.

Can he be trusted? I have my doubts.

He likes Twin Peaks so ... he's not that much different from you guys.

Does Cremers Jr. take after you in taste?

I'm not sure if you'll like it Alex. From the pilot, it's fairly derivative and not as "revolutionary" as the people have praised it to be. But it's engaging and entertaining.

Well, he sorta leaves me no choice. According to him, I really need to watch it.

He also likes The Walking Dead.

We were both disappointed with Mad Max: Fury Road.

I liked Ex Machina more than he did.

My gf just told me it's one of her favourite shows. She said it is indeed a "chick show", but that there's "more to it than that".

So yeah.

It's one of my gf's favorites as well. I saw a good portion of it as she was going through the series recently and actually enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It's weird seeing Alexis Bledel as this little girl though since I only knew her as the whore in Sin City at the time.

GG was still running when Sin City came out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who automatically imagined Lauren Graham at the other end of the line when Bledel talked to her mother on the phone.

Yea, I can't imagine I would have liked the movie at all if I had never seen the show before

I [stupidly] watched it before the series and thought it was mehsome and just an oddity.

So yeah.

GG was still running when Sin City came out. I'm sure I'm not the only one who automatically imagined Lauren Graham at the other end of the line when Bledel talked to her mother on the phone.

What I meant was I didn't know of Gilmore Girls when Sin City came out. When I walked into my girlfriend's place a few months ago and saw her on the screen I just knew her from Sin City.

What I meant was I didn't know of Gilmore Girls when Sin City came out. When I walked into my girlfriend's place a few months ago and saw her on the screen I just knew her from Sin City.

I know, I was just commenting that for me (and probably many others) it was amusing the other way round.

I watched Serenity once, after having watched the show, and though it's been a little over two years, I don't remember not understanding it.

Though if I don't understand a movie, there's a little thing called Wikipedia that makes it all better.