What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I've read that before. It's dumb because the movie parodied TV sci-fi like Star Trek with its legions of deranged fans. Now it's going to become what it's making fun of.

Though if I don't understand a movie, there's a little thing called Wikipedia that makes it all better.

If a film has a wobbly plot and can't stand on its own feet without having to read the story "walkthrough" on Wikipedia, then there's something wrong with it.

Serenity is like reading a news article where the journalist or editor writes an awkward series of tenuously related paragraphs that don't flow together to make for a cohesive narrative.

The script is too ambitious for its own good. It needed a script doctor to simplify it.

The thing is Serenity would never have made me watch the TV show. The story didn't hook me, I found it too convoluted, the point of some of the characters. I'm still not a fan of the film, though it has some good bits.

It's only because my brother insisted I should give Firefly a try, is why I ultimately watched it. And the pilot didn't convince me either to stick with it, it was 3-4 episodes in that it started to click.

So yeah Firefly is better than Serenity, but the film is a nice way of wrapping up things for the fans that wanted more I suppose.

But you're the only one who thinks it's "too ambiguous". We all agree that one needs to be a fan of the Firefly series in order to connect with it, but no one has problems understanding it. The movie is some kind of closure to the series. We finally get to see River kick some ass. The movie is made for the fans, not for someone who is a stranger to Firefly.

Alex

The thing is Serenity would never have made me watch the TV show. The story didn't hook me, I found it too convoluted, the point of some of the characters. I'm still not a fan of the film, though it has some good bits.

It's only because my brother insisted I should give Firefly a try, is why I ultimately watched it. And the pilot didn't convince me either to stick with it, it was 3-4 episodes in that it started to click.

So yeah Firefly is better than Serenity, but the film is a nice way of wrapping up things for the fans that wanted more I suppose.

I honestly don't understand people saying the pilot wasn't really engaging. I thought it was a fine episode. Maybe people are thinking of The Train Job instead of Serenity (not the movie, the original pilot episode)?

You did watch the episodes in production order, not in airing order, right?

And the pilot didn't convince me either to stick with it, it was 3-4 episodes in that it started to click.

Not that unusual for a series. The Wire is said to be one of the best TV series ever but it took me a while before it clicked with me. Getting the known the characters (which is what it's really all about in Firefly) can take some time.

Alex

Yeah, the pilot of Seinfeld was pretty much entirely rubbish, and most of the networks agreed (it almost very nearly didn't get picked up).

Curb Your Enthusiasm on the other and started out great right from S01E01 Pants Tent.

You did watch the episodes in production order, not in airing order, right?

As they appear on the blu-rays. Is that how they were meant to be seen?

Pilot episodes aren't generally great episodes. They're just here to introduce the characters and the story, so they rarely have memorable moments.

But they should... pilots are meant to attract the largest audience possible. Introduce and amaze.

Like how the pilot of Breaking Bad or the miniseries of BSG were already mindblowingly good. And the series just improved after those.

Well, in that respect, I wouldn't have continued watching The Simpsons at the time. It only genuinely clicked with me when I became familiar with the characters. The more I knew the characters, the funnier or the more endearing it became. Some series you got to give some time. And from what I remember, not every one was sold to BB after just one episode.

Alex

I didn't fully buy into Breaking Bad until the spectacular and devastating basement strangulation scene.

That was brilliantly set-up and executed. The scene where Walt assembled the broken plate is fantastic in its tension.

Buffy had an awesome pilot.

It did. Better then the rest of season 1.

I think the first season is better than it's given credit for. It had me hooked all the way through.

Yeah, the pilot of Seinfeld was pretty much entirely rubbish, and most of the networks agreed (it almost very nearly didn't get picked up).

I like the "Seinfeld Chronicles". There's something about the rawness of those early eps that engages me more than the more unlikely stories that followed.

I'm currently watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and BoJack Horseman on Netflix. Two of the funniest series I've ever seen :)

Also watched a couple of older episodes of The Apprentice on YouTube, and one thing really pissed me off - one team won by a very small financial margin, and strategically, there was virtually no difference between the two teams.... yet someone still has to be fired. I don't normally take reality shows seriously, but for a show that is at least trying to highlight business competences, that's a terrible example to set. You can't judge any business or its people based on its day one profits.

It's Always Sunny dipped around Seasons 5 and 6 but there are some truly hilarious moments in 7-9. I haven't seen Season 10 yet but I hear it's a return to form. The problem with it and many other shows, like the U.S. version of The Office, is that they go on for way too long. They introduced some nice ideas to actually develop the characters and change it up but they would always erase it all at the end of the episode. Biggest dropped opportunities being Charlie finding a woman that loves him and Dee not caring about being made fun of anymore. Instead they decided to recycle stuff from the early seasons.

Looking at the episode list on wiki, there's memorable episodes in every season :)

The Night Man episodes were the best

Wha? Season 1 was perfectly fine without him!

But yes, he joined the show out of nowhere and completely fit in with the rest of the cast like he was always there. Rare for that to happen!

Season 1 is great, but I mean that he literally saved the show from cancellation. FX told them that that they needed to bring in a big name or else they would get the boot.

Frank is my favorite character on the show.