What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Season 1 is great, but I mean that he literally saved the show from cancellation. FX told them that that they needed to bring in a big name or else they would get the boot.

Frank is my favorite character on the show.

I've watched some random episodes from different series. And it was quite good. I love its non-apologetic, often brutal, humour. Feels almost British in that sense. Well, kind of.

Karol

Its similar to Seinfeld in some respects - its about 4 friends who are all self-centered and the awkward situations they get themselves into. But the jokes and writing style doesn't really mimic Seinfeld, and the show is far, far darker than Seinfeld (or any network comedy) could ever dare to be

it's like Seinfeld, but better!

I hate Seinfeld. Watched a few episodes, and I don't find it funny at all. Horribly dated too.

It's Always Sunny... is actually funny. Give me Kaitlin Olsen and Danny DeVito over Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Jason Alexander any day of the week.

Agreed. We slogged through the entire season 1 and it was utter rubbish by about halfway through. The pilot showed promise but it very quickly went completely off the rails.

Joey is literally the only person I know that watches it.

The book is great, and I encourage you all to read it. The didn't watch the show, but I recall the TV series getting good to great reviews in its first season. Then I heard the season 1 finale was a bit bad. Never seemed to recover for people.

BTW, Jay, Gillian in your current avatar looks utterly amazing. I imagine that's from Hannibal. Yowzers.

BTW, Jay, Gillian in your current avatar looks utterly amazing. I imagine that's from Hannibal. Yowzers.

That gif creeps me out, like the one Jay put on before.

Like she's in an endless loop of slowly falling asleep. Unsettling.

Yea its from the final episode of Hannibal. Gorgeous!

Here's some more animated GIFs of the same scene for you:

http://thetvmouse.tumblr.com/post/127788001564/stellagibson-cause-of-death-bedelias-dress

That gif creeps me out, like the one Jay put on before.

Like she's in an endless loop of slowly falling asleep. Unsettling.

She is likely either drugged or in a state of shock in the scene in question.

EDIT: OK, here's a nice page that compiles some of her looks from Season 3 alone of Hannibal

http://thetvmouse.tumblr.com/post/127788029424/stellagibson-bedelia-du-maurier-wardrobe-in

Stunning!

Couldn't get past the first 3 episodes...

In my case, it was 3 minutes.

I went as far as I did, for Hank's sake. But one can only tolerate so much...

Started Community season 2. The first season started off stellar but quickly dropped off in quality after 10 episodes or so. It could just possibly due to the fact that I blitzed through the season that caused a burnout, so here I am giving season 2 a shot. Well 3 episodes in and while it's decent I can't say its something unmissable. Then again its watchable and lasts just 20 minutes an ep so that's a good thing and I'll continue with it in between epidoes of Silicon Valley season 2.

Started Community season 2. The first season started off stellar but quickly dropped off in quality after 10 episodes or so. It could just possibly due to the fact that I blitzed through the season that caused a burnout, so here I am giving season 2 a shot. Well 3 episodes in and while it's decent I can't say its something unmissable. Then again its watchable and lasts just 20 minutes an ep so that's a good thing and I'll continue with it in between epidoes of Silicon Valley season 2.

Report back after you've seen episodes 6-11.

Completed a second viewing of Firefly and Serenity and thoroughly enjoyed it. I read someone here saying 'Heart of Gold' was their worst episode but I quite like it and don't really see the issue, it's no sillier than any of the other ones and the nod to the Alamo in what is a front and centre Westerns inspired series felt rightly placed. There's certainly a single poor episode among the fourteen but I'd go with the one before which had the "dead" soldier stowaway recalling old loyalties (and more poorly realised war flashbacks) and ended in a funeral scene which falls entirely flat given that we generally didn't give two hoots about the character.

Tying up the loose ends with Serenity the movie is a real respectably budgeted treat, it's aged brilliantly well - the special effects and overall aesthetic are top notch and very slick over a decade later and are in no way shown up by Whedon's later Avengers efforts. It's no classic but it makes me wonder if a better and more fitting movie finale to a show exists.

Well how many shows actually used a movie to end their storytelling?

I'm not talking about Star Trek, where they used movies to expand and extend the franchise. I suppose Nemesis could be the swansong of The Next Generation, except it was the fourth movie in that series, and All Good Things was the perfect finale to the show.

Stargate SG-1 got two made for TV movies to end its story arcs, but I don't consider them in the same league as Serenity. Coincidentally, Stargate reflects the opposite situation from Firefly, where a movie spawns the TV series.

I don't think you can top Serenity in Quintus' final thought there.

Tying up the loose ends with Serenity the movie is a real respectably budgeted treat, it's aged brilliantly well - the special effects and overall aesthetic are top notch and very slick over a decade later and are in no way shown up by Whedon's later Avengers efforts. It's no classic but it makes me wonder if a better and more fitting movie finale to a show exists.

I agree! That film looks a LOT better visually then his two Avengers films, which were much much more expensive.

The scene where River finally unleashes is especially impressive, if brief.

I've seen the show but when I watch the movie I keep catching myself asking what is happening and why is it happening?

And when it's over, I can't remember what I just watched.

Maybe it's just David Newman's score that keeps me coming back.