What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Art made for teens and children can be just as mature and interesting as art made for adults from a formal point-of-view.  Meaning if the "literary" aspects of the show/movie (themes, characters, etc.) are simplified, the formal aspects (mise-en-scene, editing, performance, etc.) can be as interesting as a Kubrick film.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, absolutely.

If you said yes then you must have watched. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Art made for teens and children can be just as mature and interesting as art made for adults from a formal point-of-view.  Meaning if the "literary" aspects of the show/movie (themes, characters, etc.) are simplified, the formal aspects (mise-en-scene, editing, performance, etc.) can be as interesting as a Kubrick film.

Count this also as my delayed reaction to the Paddington 2 talk from weeks back.  That is for sure one of the best, most artfully made movies of the year (for America where it's a 2018 movie).

3 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

If you said yes then you must have watched. 

Enough to know it wasn't for me. Maybe if I was 14 it would have been a different story.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Enough to know it wasn't for me. Maybe if I was 14 it would have been a different story.

I saw a few episodes and its from that guy who did that new show firefly on friday nights that was on for years.

He makes shows for people other than me

No I found it very average but Joss Whedon's 2nd Avengers is an almost terrible film and the least of the 3.

Btw did anyone see Eli Roth's History of Horror? I think it was 7 episodes. 

His interview with Stephen King regardering the Shining was compelling. For all his problems with the film he felt Kubrick was more interested in making an Art film than a horror film which can shift the way you view the film. I was surprised how open the talk was but I think WB's gag order has expired.

Great film adaptations stand on their own legs because the filmmaker gets to add their own voice to the source material. Why replicate the novel to the tee?

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Great film adaptations stand on their own legs because the filmmaker gets to add their own voice to the source material. Why replicate the novel to the tee?

The rarest feat is when the filmmaker's and the author's voices both come through equally clearly.

My main example of this will always be Scorsese's The Age of Innocence, one of his masterpieces!

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Uh-oh, did I speak to soon? Larry David has left the show and the first episode of S7 was rubbish! It's probably just season return jitters - it's difficult to remember sometimes that a whole year has passed for this production from one season to the next, and sometimes sitcom shows in particular can feel awkward at the beginning of a new one.

Larry David was the show runner for the entirety of the first 7 seasons. It's only seasons 8 and 9 that they did without him, though he continued to voice Steinbrenner and also wrote the finale.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Every director knows that straight novel adaptations usually don't work. Apparently, Jaws as the book is very boring. 

Jaws as a book is a very fun read but it is pulp fiction and seeing Hooper boning Ms Brody would add nothing to the film. And the ending is much more realistic. The shark dies from exhaustion and Quint drowns and Hooper gets eaten as he almost did in the film.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Larry David was the show runner for the entirety of the first 7 seasons. It's only seasons 8 and 9 that they did without him, though he continued to voice Steinbrenner and also wrote the finale.

Jesus, this is the second time I've read bad info on REDDIT then! Thanks for the correction.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Because some people want it. Silence is a perfect example of Stu's comment. Great film, great book, a fairly literal adaptation. Fans are very happy.

MV5BMjUzNDU1MDM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM5

Like a bit more somber Curb. Nice to watch Douglas and Arkin in something like this. Talk about grizzled (second time in a row i switched to english in disgust at a really bad german dub). 

3 hours ago, KK said:

It's not really about voices or adding some personal flavor. Most directors can only dream of having a distinctive and unique voice. Really, it's about film being a different medium than literature. Each medium should play out its own unique properties, qualities that are only made possible due to the nature of the medium. With other words, film should be inherently film, not a stage play or a book entrusted to celluloid. It's not because something works in a novel that it will also work in a film. Directors should be loyal to their film, not to a book. 

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

(second time in a row i switched to english in disgust at a really bad german dub). 

Good, you're changing.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Jesus, this is the second time I've read bad info on REDDIT then! Thanks for the correction.

Scratch that - you'll not be surprised when I tell you it's me who is mistaken. We're up to season 8 already, not 7. So the other day when I mentioned that I thought seasons 5 and 6 were the best so far, I actually meant 6 and 7. Do'h! I suppose this is a possible outcome of binge watching many, many episodes of a sitcom in such a short space of time. They eventually sort of meld into each other in these big 20+ epi seasons.

The second episode of S8 was much better again btw. It felt like regular Seinfeld (although I do miss the stand-up comedy club intros).

26 minutes ago, publicist said:

MV5BMjUzNDU1MDM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM5

Like a bit more somber Curb. Nice to watch Douglas and Arkin in something like this. Talk about grizzled (second time in a row i switched to english in disgust at a really bad german dub). 

They should team up with Clint and Jack for Space Cowboys 2: Back in the Saddle

We watched three episodes of it tonight. The one where Kramer falls for Jerry's latest girlfriend (he's had around 500 of 'em), the one where Kramer accidentally walks into a job and Elaine gets in with the alternative friends circle (where their Kramer alt BRINGS the food to their Seinfeld's apartment), and then the one where George gets a girl interested by acting like a bad boy (and Elaine reveals her dance moves).

Absolutely fucking hilarious. I'm talking tears streaming down our faces. 

Larry who?

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

We watched three episodes of it tonight. The one where Kramer falls for Jerry's latest girlfriend (he's had around 500 of 'em), the one where Kramer accidentally walks into a job and Elaine gets in with the alternative friends circle (where their Kramer alt BRINGS the food to their Seinfeld's apartment), and then the one where George gets a girl interested by acting like a bad boy (and Elaine reveals her dance moves).

Absolutely fucking hilarious. I'm talking tears streaming down our faces. 

Larry who?

Before I learned to recognize Larry's humor I couldn't have told you when he left the show.  No change in quality if you ask me, just a slightly different flavor.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lame, but she was an awful character. I read that Jason Alexander said he struggled to find a comedy vibe with her.

There is talk she was a poor comedic actress by the cast and crew

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lame, but she was an awful character. I read that Jason Alexander said he struggled to find a comedy vibe with her.

I remember that plot. There was a bit of a minor controversy about George's callous reaction to her death at the time, iirc.

Made sense though. Its very George 

I liked the Kramer from the first couple of seasons more than the one from the later seasons when he became too caricatural and self-conscious. Maybe this is true for the whole show, I don't remember.

6 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

The problem with the later episodes is that you can sort of feel their late 90s-ness. Seinfeld is an early/mid 90s show at its peak.

I feel it's the other way around.

Daredevil season 3. After some dreadful work on The Defenders and other of those shows, there's finally a good Netflix/Marvel season. Not amazing, not brilliant. But with some focus and genuinely interesting character work. This one is more of a drama rather than superhero action thing. But I appreciate its low-key storytelling. Of all of these shows, DD was always the best one and this trend continues here.

Karol

All of them have the same formula. A choreographed fight or two per episode, while everything else is the characters explaining all their thoughts and actions to each other with completely uninteresting dialog.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Well it’s cancelled now!

Probably to sabotage Disney's plan to reclaim the Marvel shows for their upcoming streaming service. 

Yeah the writing is bit stodgy but still better than all the others. But I have a soft spot for budget Catholic Batman.

It did feel like an ending, this season. I was actually thinking that when the credits started rolling. No reason to make more.

Karol

That's not why the shows have been cancelled. Netflix cancelled them (they were about to lose them anyway) but Disney might continue the shows. They gonna need content for their streaming service.

Yeah, Jessica Jones and The Punisher will probably be next on the chopping board (probably right after their new seasons air) and then that's it.

Hopefully we'll get a final Defenders to wrap things up, but I doubt it.