What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Tearing my way through The Thick of It now, the fly-on-the-wall political satire that blurs the lines between sharp observation and all-out farce so brilliantly that I'm annoyed with myself for not bothering with it during its original run years ago on BBC2. Expletive extraordinaire and force of nature Peter Capaldi's spin doctor destroys every single scene he's in, it makes sense to me now why his role gathered a bit of a cult following here. Doctor Who fans shouldn't worry about his casting too much: he's going to be fantastic, maybe even better than the last couple.

Anybody watch the Emmys last night? I didn't, but here are the major winners

DRAMA:

— Series: "Breaking Bad," AMC.
— Actor: Jeff Daniels, "The Newsroom," HBO.
— Actress: Claire Danes, "Homeland," Showtime.
— Supporting Actor: Bobby Cannavale, "Boardwalk Empire," HBO.
— Supporting Actress: Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad," AMC.
— Guest Actor: Dan Bucatinsky, "Scandal," ABC.
— Guest Actress: Carrie Preston, "The Good Wife," CBS.
— Casting: Laray Mayfield and Julie Schubert, "House Of Cards," Netflix.
— Directing: David Fincher, "House of Cards: Chapter 1," Netflix.
— Writing: Henry Bromell, "Homeland: Q&A," Showtime.
— Editing: Kelley Dixon, "Breaking Bad: Gliding Over All," AMC.
— Score: John Lunn, "Downton Abbey: Episode 6," PBS.
COMEDY:
— Series: "Modern Family," ABC.
— Actor: Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS.
— Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep," HBO.
— Supporting Actor: Tony Hale, "Veep," HBO.
— Supporting Actress: Merritt Wever, "Nurse Jackie," Showtime.

— Guest Actor: Bob Newhart, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS.
— Guest Actress: Melissa Leo, "Louie," FX.

— Casting: Jannifer McNamara-Shroff, Katja Blichfield, and Jessica Daniels, "30 Rock," NBC.
— Directing: Gail Mancuso, "Modern Family: Arrested," ABC.
— Writing: Tina Fey, Tracey Wigfield, "30 Rock: Last Lunch," NBC.

— Editing (Single-Camera): David Rogers and Claire Scanlon, "The Office: Finale," NBC.

— Editing (Multi-Camera): Sue Federman, "How I Met Your Mother: P.S. I Love You," CBS

MINI-SERIES OR MOVIE:

— Miniseries or Movie: "Behind the Candelabra," HBO.

— Actor: Michael Douglas, "Behind the Candelabra," HBO.
— Actress: Laura Linney, "The Big C: Hereafter," Showtime.
— Supporting Actor: James Cromwell, "American Horror Story: Asylum," FX.
— Supporting Actress: Ellen Burstyn, "Political Animals," USA.
— Casting: Carmen Cuba, "Behind The Candelabra," HBO.
— Directing: Steven Soderbergh, "Behind the Candelabra," HBO.
— Writing: Abi Morgan, "The Hour," BBC America.
— Editing: Mary Ann Bernard, "Behind The Candelabra," HBO.

— Art Direction: Howard Cummings, Patrick M. Sullivan Jr., and Barbara Munch Cameron, "Behind The Candelabra," HBO.

— Cinematography: Adam Arkapaw, "Top of the Lake: Part 1," Sundance.
— Costumes: Ellen Mirojnick and Robert Q. Mathews, "Behind The Candelabra," HBO.

— Dramatic Score: Mychael Danna, "World Without End," Reelz.

VARIETY SERIES:

— Variety Series: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central.
— Writing: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central.
— Directing: Don Roy King, "Saturday Night Live," NBC.

ETC:

— Animated Program: "South Park: Raising The Bar," Comedy Central.

— Reality Program: "Undercover Boss," CBS.

— Reality-Competition Program: "The Voice," NBC.

— Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program: Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, "Project Runway," Lifetime.

— Choreography: Derek Hough, "Dancing With the Stars," ABC.

— Main Title Design: Paul McDonel, Hugo Moss, Nathan McKenna, and Tamsin McGee, "Da Vinci’s Demons," Starz.

— Original Main Title Theme Music: Bear McCreary, "Da Vinci’s Demons," Starz.

Cranston won best actor in a drama series for Breaking Bad seasons 1, 2, and 3.

For season 4 he lost to Damian Lewis for Homeland Season 1, which I can get behind, though Cranston was brilliant in Season 4 (that's the season with the maniacal laughter in the crawlspace). Damian Lewis was also really, really good though, especially in the first and final episodes.

For season 5A he lost to Jeff Daniels for The Newsroom Season 1, which was a huge upset and unexpected to just about everyone. I've never seen The Newsroom myself, but I can't imagine his performance is terribly different from the usual Aaron Sorkin role of quickly spouting large monologues week after week? I really enjoyed Cranston's performance in Breaking Bad 5A and Lewis's in Homeland Season 2 and would have been happy if either of them won again.

However, who I thought was going to win was Kevin Spacey for House of Cards season 1. I thought he was really good, and deserving of the award.

For anyone who stuck with it, Dexter was finally put out of its misery. The show, not necessarily the character.

For season 5A he lost to Jeff Daniels for The Newsroom Season 1

Can Cranston get nominated again next year for the same season? it was split, but it's still season 5.

Yes.

And I hope he does, because he's been BRILLIANT in Season 5B. Of course, most of what else will be nominated by then hasn't even been filmed yet, so who knows how it will stack up to what airs between now and July.

The Neighbors 2x01 Family Conference

Funny stuff. I enjoyed the Jerry Springer bit and the general plot of the episode. I love they they are delving more into self-aware jokes about being a television show, what with their reference to the Friday night death slow, being followed by Shark Tank, and the setup of the season's overarcing plot thread. Good stuff. Sad that Shatner and Takei weren't in the premiere after being in in the season finale last year.

Using my sixth sense I can tell it's dyed.

BB means Breaking Bad: AKA The Greatest Ever (after The Wire)

Fixed! :P

Karol

You're whimsical claims aren't grounded in reality!

oZJeWoW.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2013/09/16/why-breaking-bad-is-the-best-show-ever-and-why-that-matters/

:znaika:

Using my sixth sense I can tell it's dyed.

BB means Breaking Bad: AKA The Greatest Ever (after The Wire)

Fixed! :P

Karol

You're whimsical claims aren't grounded in reality!

oZJeWoW.jpg

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2013/09/16/why-breaking-bad-is-the-best-show-ever-and-why-that-matters/

:znaika:

It doesn't say "ever" ;)

Anyway, Quinto. To be perfectly honest, it's pointless. Because these things are nothing alike - everything about them is different. One thing they have in common is that it's damn best things television has to offer.

I hope one day you'll check it out yourself.

I've read this article before, by the way. And while its points are valid and make BB great, this type of storytelling isn't necessarily the only one.

Karol

Indeed Croc, indeed. I'm just arseing about wit ya, you should know by now :lsvader:

Edit: but the Forbes link/article DOES say "EVER"! And in all seriousness I was most impressed and enlightened by the crucial point it made. And yes, I watched every single episode of The Sopranos - a show up until very recently my THE greatest ever (even according to the WGA).

As I said a few weeks ago; they should have held out a bit longer before publishing the results :P

I'm thinking of starting Deadwood, another supposed unfinished masterpiece.

Karol

Another on my list as recommend by my TV expert friend called Jay. A bum with time to kill but pretty good taste in American tv.

Apparently Deadwood is "the shit".

I thought Deadwood was just OK. It's been surpassed by other great shows that have come on the air since then. I suppose at the time it stood out more cause there was less competition

Carnivale is the best show HBO ever produced.

EDIT: Woah, Karol and I just recommend the same show at the same time

Speaking of unfinished, you need to watch HBO's Carnivale as well. It might not be quite up there with the best, but it's really good as well.

Karol

I remembered and made a mental note of it after the last time you mentioned it here, which I believe was right after you watched it. Metacritic backed you up. Twin Peaksesque etc.

My list is increasingly insurmountable, but fuck me/it it's great to have the choice.

I think you and Alex recommended it to me.

And yes, there are some parallels with Twin Peaks. The show isn't the same, but the way story unfolds, the way you meet so many characters and how it almost creates an American mythology of sorts... there are some similarities there. Not to mention the little fella, who is in both things.

Karol

Speaking of unfinished, you need to watch HBO's Carnivale as well. It might not be quite up there with the best, but it's really good as well.

Karol

I remembered and made a mental note of it after the last time you mentioned it here, which I believe was right after you watched it. Metacritic backed you up. Twin Peaksesque etc.

My list is increasingly insurmountable, but fuck me/it it's great to have the choice.

Carnivale is just spectacular. Ronald D. Moore (BSG remake) was the show runner for the first season. I wish Daniel Knauf would create another show!

I think you and Alex recommended it to me.

Awesome, glad you liked it!

And yes, there are some parallels with Twin Peaks. The show isn't the same, but the way story unfolds, the way you meet so many characters and how it almost creates an American mythology of sorts... there are some similarities there. Not to mention the little fella, who is in both things.

Karol

Sod it, I'm downloading the pilot now.

But Karol, when it gets cut short by nervous and trigger happy producers, I'd better still be fully satisfied (in the way I was after Twin Peaks' awesome abruptness/gleeful revelation).

I can't be bothered with arc robbery or sudden story kaput.

Works for me. It has this "end of book one" kind of ending.

Again, I can't say it is my favourite thing ever, but it's a curious and generally under-appreciated gems.

Which reminds me, I've not seen a single episode of The Sopranos yet.

Karol

Small words, from a small being trying to attack what it doesnt understand!

Lol, look at yer - trying to get involved! You don't even watch 10% of what's being discussed here. Stick to your Doctor Who!

Which reminds me, I've not seen a single episode of The Sopranos yet.

Pull your flippin' finger out then.

Star Trek is quality TV!

Truthfully though Stefan, it's a shame you apparently don't deviate much from the formulas and genres you are apparently naturally drawn to most, because you're definitely someone I would enjoy debating and cross-referencing with on something other than sci-fi and high fantasy, but never mind.

I would love to debate sci-fi in television, but alas...

Twin Peaks looks cool.

I still haven't started the second season of Breaking Bad. I'm not sure it'll sit well with me given my current mental state.

I've seen the first episode of Frozen Planet and I liked it.

You already said that Steef... last year.

I still haven't started the second season of Breaking Bad. I'm not sure it'll sit well with me given my current mental state.

Event Horizon video logs...