What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Yes, Quint. It is all true. But Lost is a B movie (or B series, rather). It's not as artful and subtle in its storytelling as Breaking Bad or other shows like that. As I said, it's network television. But, as such, probably one of the better ones out there.

Karol

See that's where you and I split. While LOST's storytelling is simple, its themes and motifs and symbolism run deep. It's ultimately a mythological tale of good vs evil, with the finale reaching Shakespearean heights, but the character writing is so precise and complexly woven that I can't help but marvel at it.

You should have stuck around. Smoke monsters, donkey wheels, Egyptian temples, submarines exploding... ;)

He's more into the surprise murders of nobility,

OMFG they just KILLED them! THEM!

Yes, Quint. It is all true. But Lost is a B movie (or B series, rather). It's not as artful and subtle in its storytelling as Breaking Bad or other shows like that. As I said, it's network television. But, as such, probably one of the better ones out there.

Karol

See that's where you and I split. While LOST's storytelling is simple, its themes and motifs and symbolism run deep. It's ultimately a mythological tale of good vs evil, with the finale reaching Shakespearean heights, but the character writing is so precise and complexly woven that I can't help but marvel at it.

The weekly Koray blows minds moment. It's Friday as well, you left it late. Almost felt like... a cliffhanger!

Hang on it's only Thursday. I'm tired.

Most of the people in LOST die. Maybe Lee would enjoy watching their demises?

You should have stuck around. Smoke monsters, donkey wheels, Egyptian temples, submarines exploding... ;)

He's more into the surprise murders of nobility,

OMFG they just KILLED them! THEM!

Karol

The weekly Koray blows minds moment. It's Friday as well, you left it late. Almost felt like... a cliffhanger!

Hang on it's only Thursday. I'm tired.

Says the guy who didn't even watch long enough to see the characters change, let alone see the majority of the characters introduced. It's hard to even discuss the show with you cause you have no fucking clue what it's about. Your incorrect belief that they made it up as they went along and just threw out random red herrings to keep viewers watching says it all.

Do you miss excitedly debating it with your friends and colleagues each week then I take it? In between doing other trendy things, I mean.

But just for you, note to self: MUST NEVER DARE PRESUME TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A TV SHOW EVER AGAIN WITHOUT WATCHING EVERY SINGLE EPISODE OF IT BEFOREHAND.

I have probably missed a few episodes of each Star Trek series to date, but still consider myself a faithful detail oriented Trek obsessed nerd. I think you don't have to watch every episode of Lost to carry an opinion of it.

But if it's only about the cliffhanger, well, that's also how you can describe 24. You only need to watch the first and last five minutes of each episode to stay afloat.

But then it turns out

they all live somehow

so it won't work. I'm sure Quint would be calling bullshit on that one.

But then it turns out

they all live somehow

But then again

they don't. It really depends on how you interpret it. It can be either religious, s-f or just metaphorical/symbolic. It works on all these levels.

Karol

Do you miss excitedly debating it with your friends and colleagues each week then I take it? In between doing other trendy things, I mean.

But just for you, note to self: MUST NEVER DARE PRESUME TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A TV SHOW EVER AGAIN WITHOUT WATCHING EVERY SINGLE EPISODE OF IT BEFOREHAND.

I was a freshman in high school when it started. I discussed it with a couple friends and a teacher. No one else watched it as religiously as I did. Thanks for thinking I was actually trendy in those days! Others would disagree.

I have probably missed a few episodes of each Star Trek series to date, but still consider myself a faithful detail oriented Trek obsessed nerd. I think you don't have to watch every episode of Lost to carry an opinion of it.

But if it's only about the cliffhanger, well, that's also how you can describe 24. You only need to watch the first and last five minutes of each episode to stay afloat.

I never said you had to watch every episode of it, but if you want to talk plot and character writing, it helps to actually know what the show is about.

But then it turns out

they all live somehow

No that's not how it turns out. But yeah, Lee would go ape shit over that. I would watch a show about him watching the show.

Oh Koray, I don't look down on the show in any way, just see it in a different category. But then again, we also tend to disagree on what it all means as well. And for that, I actually love it.

Karol

But then it turns out

they all live somehow

But then again

they don't. It really depends on how you interpret it. It can be either religious, s-f or just metaphorical/symbolic. It works on all these levels.

I interpreted it religiously and literally. Which is what it looked like, with the church and all. I didn't like it much. I felt like it robbed from the awesome final scene. And the sudden Sayid/Shannon thing?

But yeah, Lee would go ape shit over that. I would watch a show about him watching the show.

+1

Oh Koray, I don't look down on the show in any way, just see it in a different category. But then again, we also tend to disagree on what it all means as well. And for that, I actually love it.

Karol

I don't recall how our viewpoints differed. Care to dig it up again ;)

But then it turns out

they all live somehow

But then again

I interpreted it religiously and literally. Which is what it looked like, with the church and all. I didn't like it much. I felt like it robbed from the awesome final scene. And the sudden Sayid/Shannon thing?

I interpeted it in a spiritual and symbolic way. I don't necessarily see the sideways timeline as something that physically happened more than that it's a way to show how integral these people were to each other. The awesome final scene is still awesome to me. Though I do agree that Sayid's character wasn't concluded as well as it could have been.

Karol

I don't recall how our viewpoints differed. Care to dig it up again ;)

I can't remember now, but we had our discussions on several occasions.

It'd be called Lost on Me.

The show addresses that too, Quinto. They thought of your every response!

Karol

Lee, you seem very wary of water-cooler type stuff. You can't be bothered with discussing things that people like or something. I don't really get it. But I don't think LOST was as undyingly popular as you think. After Season 1 it never won or got nominated for anything and it never reached as many views again until the series finale. Lots of people don't like it, and I imagine those who enjoyed it and were in it for the fun and mystery have mostly forgotten it by now. Me, I'm getting ready for a rewatch soon.

The awesome final scene is still awesome to me.

At least we agree on the awesomeness of that.

Ah, such a frustrating show. Normally well shot, well scored (the music even attracted attention to itself positively at times, even if it was a really humble score), great set of characters with good perfomances, a nice set of ideas, adventure and fantasy... but it felt so poof to some of us.

I've rewatched the pilot on occasion. It's a "fuck yeah" moment of television for me. Yet poof in the end.

Ah, such a frustrating show. Normally well shot, well scored (the music even attracted attention to itself positively at times, even if it was a really humble score), great set of characters with good perfomances, a nice set of ideas, adventure and fantasy... but it felt so poof to some of us.

I've rewatched the pilot on occasion. It's a "fuck yeah" moment of television for me. Yet poof in the end.

The Pilot is the best pilot I've ever seen. Why is it poof in the end? Giacchino's score for the show is his magnum opus. One of my favorite musical works ever.

Terry O'Quinn as Locke/MIB is one of the best performances I've ever seen. This show is so chock full of perfection it's staggering.

Nah I talked about BB and The Sopranos all the time. But my point was one about plot gimmicks, and how everyone caught up in the Lost phenomenon (which it most certainly was, at least initially) were gleefully suckered into its weekly Dan Brown style 'keep 'em hooked' chapters. The structure of that show was shrewdly orchestrated to appeal to the broad mainstream carrot-dangling mentality which is absolutely rife now, but some of us early adopters cottoned onto it pretty quick and moved on. Everyone else was made believe (by a very clever marketing campaign) that Lost was essential tv and that if you didn't watch it along with your work pals you weren't trendy. Hipstersville. That's how I see it.

The Pilot is the best pilot I've ever seen. Why is it poof in the end?

No the pilot isn't poof. The pilot is among my favourites.

Nah I talked about BB and The Sopranos all the time. But my point was one about plot gimmicks, and how everyone caught up in the Lost phenomenon (which it most certainly was, at least initially) were gleefully suckered into its weekly Dan Brown style 'keep 'em hooked' chapters. The structure of that show was shrewdly orchestrated to appeal to the broad mainstream carrot-dangling mentality which is absolutely rife now, but some of us early adopters cottoned onto it pretty quick and moved on. That's how I see it.

I don't know, maybe my emotional attachment to the show has me seeing it differently. I always felt that it was so hugely popular in the beginning because of how different it was. Nothing like it had been done before, with its blend of science fiction, fantasy, and drama. So when something as strange as a polar bear on a tropical island shows up, people want to know more, and more about this, and this, etc. The show did form itself around cliffhangers but I never saw them as gimmicks. Also not every episode ended with one, there were plenty sentimental endings as well. LOST is very broad in its detail and stories and subplots, but eventually you get enough of the puzzle pieces to make out the final picture. Like Karol said before, it's network television. The team had to balance between what they wanted to do and what ABC execs wanted to. ABC wanted to drag it out as long as possible, but when they stretched it too thin and they reached a point of just treading water, the writers were able to set up an endgame. It's a shame you won't go back to it, as Seasons 4-6 are stunning.

Nah I talked about BB and The Sopranos all the time. But my point was one about plot gimmicks, and how everyone caught up in the Lost phenomenon (which it most certainly was, at least initially) were gleefully suckered into its weekly Dan Brown style 'keep 'em hooked' chapters. The structure of that show was shrewdly orchestrated to appeal to the broad mainstream carrot-dangling mentality which is absolutely rife now, but some of us early adopters cottoned onto it pretty quick and moved on. Everyone else was made believe (by a very clever marketing campaign) that Lost was essential tv and that if you didn't watch it along with your work pals you weren't trendy. Hipstersville. That's how I see it.

It's a pity and it has been perceived as such by different people. But when all is said and done, it does have some things to offer.

I've actually had a chance to rewatch some of the early episodes years after it all ended and it was gratifying to see how it made a full circle.

Karol

Agreed. I initially bought into lost because of the mysteries and the cliffhangers. After a few seasons it started to feel too much like a formula and that things could go one like this forever. I got tired of seeing the same trick over and over again. The moment you start to fall asleep with a show is the moment you know you have lost your interest. I had a good time with the first 2 or 3 seasons but the show has no special place in my heart.

Alex

Flashes Before Your Eyes, The Man From Tallahassee, The Shape of Things to Come, Confirmed Dead, The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham, Tricia Tanaka Is Dead. 316, even Expose... all great episodes.

And also they had great titles - Some Like It Hoth being my favourite.

Karol

Flashes Before Your Eyes, The Man From Tallahassee, The Shape of Things to Come, Confirmed Dead, The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham, Tricia Tanaka Is Dead. 316, even Expose... all great episodes.

And also they had great titles - Some Like It Hoth being my favourite.

Karol

Indeed, to this day I still remember them.

The problem with LOST was that for 2 1/2 seasons, they advanced the plot slowly because they didn't know how long the show was going to go on for, and the opening of Season 3 was so bad many people gave up. From the second half of Season 3, and then especially Season 4 onward, the show became great, but so many people gave up by then and never saw it. And what's worse is that they assume they know what the rest of the show is like, even though seasons 4-6 are pretty radically different from seasons 1-3.

I don't remember these episodes.

The Constant, Desmond-centric, on the boat

The Brig, Sawyer-centric, ending in the Black Rock is amazing

The Man Behind The Curtain, Jacob's cabin episode

The Incident, Season 5 finale

Donkey wheel scene, Locke's vision, the Jacob theme, entrance to the temple, season 6 opening, the submarine sequence in The Candidate, Juliet's theme at the end of one episode, and Heart of the Island theme as well are some of my favourite musical moments in the series.

Giacchino never grabbed me the same way with his film works as he did with these. It's quite a unique scoring and only Lost has this sound.

Karol