Best orchestra/conductor combos?

Joe Brausam

I have to say that the Cleveland orchestra under George Szell is my my favorite orchestra of all time, and must certainly be a contender for best!

Conducting William Walton's Partita for Orchestra

Listen to the articulations, the separations between the notes. He has them performing so cleanly and accurately, every piece I've heard under him has an energy and excitement that I feel is unique to him and this orchestra. I love it!

How do you guys feel?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not into particular orchestras or particular conductors at all. I only care for the performance, but I have never paid very close attention to any particular conductor's career. Though there are certain recordings I like, I would never go out and buy something for who the conductor or the orchestra was. While I can tell the difference between a great and terrible performance, most orchestral recordings are good enough for what the composer had in mind.

I guess there's no love for Keith Lockhart with the Pops?

None here either. ;)

I can't stand Lockhart. There's something about the look on his face that just makes me want to kick his a$$. His too smug.

I guess there's no love for Keith Lockhart with the Pops?

None here either. ;)

I can't stand Lockhart. There's something about the look on his face that just makes me want to kick his a$$. His too smug.

LOL!!

Mine are Leonard Slatkin and the St. Louis Symphony, Charles Dutoit and the Montreal Symphony (some amazing recordings) Sir George Solti with the Chicago SO. I've always thought Leonard Bernstein was always a bit melodramatic with the New York Philharmonic.

Of film composer/orchestra relationships the only ones worth mentioning to me are Williams/LSO and Goldsmith/National Philharmonic (Yeah, I know it's a pick-up orchestra but they made some fabulous recordings together).

Bernstein/NY Philharmonic

Boulez/Vienna Philharmonic

Chailly/Concertgebouw Orch

Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orch

Dutoit/Montreal Symphony

Eschenbach/Houston Symphony

Ormandy/Philadelphia Orch

Rattle/CBSO

Robertson/St. Louis Symphony

Salonen/LA Philharmonic

Slatkin/St. Louis Symphony

Spano/Atlanta Symphony

Williams/LSO and McNeely/RSNO too 8O

Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic did some great things... though Karajan/Vienna Philharmonic were fine too and he did a great Meistersinger with Dresden (but that wasn't a regular combo)

Celibidache/Münchner Philharmoniker weren't great for everything, but they did at least two of the best Bruckner recordings

Wand/Berlin Philharmonic did great Bruckner, too (although Wand's Bruckner with other orchestras is excellent as well)

Rattle/CBSO, best Sacre I know

Kempe/Staatskapelle Dresden have done some terrific Strauss

Oh, and Gerhardt/NPO for the best re-recordings of (usually suites of) classic film scores.

Bernstein/NY Philharmonic

Boulez/Vienna Philharmonic

Chailly/Concertgebouw Orch

Dohnanyi/Cleveland Orch

Dutoit/Montreal Symphony

Eschenbach/Houston Symphony

Ormandy/Philadelphia Orch

Rattle/CBSO

Robertson/St. Louis Symphony

Salonen/LA Philharmonic

Slatkin/St. Louis Symphony

Spano/Atlanta Symphony