What's your favorite jazz score?

Hlao-roo

I guess there's some room for interpretation here. Consider any score in which the vernacular of jazz is deeply ingrained in its foundation. Obviously, North's seminal A Streetcar Named Desire would be included -- and it'd probably be my favorite after Bernstein's The Man with the Golden Arm. '60s Mancini is pretty irresistible, although I know many jazz critics weren't too fond of his stuff. You can debate whether or not Catch Me If You Can is really a "jazz score" or not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love The Taking of Pelham 1, 2,3

It's not traditional jazz but it's awesome.

Cool. I just ordered that score, and I'm pretty excited about it. I know Shire cites that as a score he's particularly proud of.

Chinatown

Wow, I forgot about that one. Definitely another classic.

I do love Jazz Autographs from The Terminal. It's amazing.

also Dave Grusin's Fabulous Baker Boys is a solid score. Pat Metheny's Falcon and the Snowman has some nice jazz fusion although the choral opening hymn (written by Lyle Mays) is beautiful in a Baroque sense.

I don't know if DIRTY HARRY would count, but if so, that's mine.

Totally counts and Magnum Force is another one worth mentioning. Schifrin's jazz/funk scores of the '60s and '70s are legendary.

Schifrin's jazz/funk scores of the '60s and '70s are legendary.

If only there were directors besides Brett Ratner that remembered that he's still around...

If only there were directors besides Brett Ratner that remembered that he's still around...

His son remembered.

The Man with the Golden Arm, a Streecar Named Desire, Catch Me if You Can and Chinatown would probably be my favorite Jazz scores, but this is coming from someone who doesn't really understand Jazz

Well if funk counts too, then I like Isaac Hayes' Theme from Shaft. I don't have any of the scores, though.

That was playing in HEB when I was there today. :)

I definitely like Goldsmith's Chinatown and Russia House, Williams' Cinderella Libery and The Eiger Sanction, Michał Lorenc's Exit in Red and Psy 2, Barry's Bond scores (early ones could be considered jazzy)... Herrmann's Taxi Driver is really good too.

I must listen to some of the stuff that keeps being mentioned above, mostly L. Shiffrin and E. Bernstein. And finally to some Tomasz Stańko's works, not only for cinema.

I love The Taking of Pelham 1, 2,3

It's not traditional jazz but it's awesome.

Probably my favorite. The Man with the Golden Arm is a close second, followed by Streetcar.

:P

Lalo Schifrin is one of my favourite film composers, along with John Williams of course. Although it's from a TV series rather than a film, Schifrin's Mannix is great, my favourite tracks being Warning: Live Blueberries and The Girl Who Came In With The Tide. If any of you like Schifrin's jazz / funk scores of the early 1970s, I would also thoroughly recommend some of Roy Budd's scores; my particular favourites are The Stone Killer and The Marseille Contract, although things like The Black Windmill and Fear Is The Key (check out the music for the car chase) are brilliant too.

Other jazz scores (or at least with strong jazz elements) that I like include:

In The Heat of the Night, The Italian Job (Quincy Jones)

The Night Strangler (Robert Cobert)

The Thomas Crown Affair (Michel Legrand)

I was reading the Terence Blanchard contribution in the Hollywood Reporter feature -- I can't believe I forgot about Duke Ellington's Anatomy of a Murder. Great score, great film.

I was reading the Terence Blanchard contribution in the Hollywood Reporter feature -- I can't believe I forgot about Duke Ellington's Anatomy of a Murder. Great score[.]

Interesting you should write that, I was reading that article an hour ago (admittedly for the Elfman bit, though), and I thought that exact thing (I never saw the film, though).

I was reading the Terence Blanchard contribution in the Hollywood Reporter feature -- I can't believe I forgot about Duke Ellington's Anatomy of a Murder. Great score[.]

Interesting you should write that, I was reading that article an hour ago (admittedly for the Elfman bit, though), and I thought that exact thing (I never saw the film, though).

If you like courtroom dramas, it's pretty darn entertaining. James Stewart and George C. Scott are in fine form.

1) Sabrina

2) The Terminal

3) The Eiger Sanction

Wow, those are coincidentally all by the same composer! How about that!

:(

If you like courtroom dramas, it's pretty darn entertaining. James Stewart and George C. Scott are in fine form.

1) Sabrina

2) The Terminal

3) The Eiger Sanction

Wow, those are coincidentally all by the same composer! How about that!

:lol:

There are other composers? :o

So many GREAT ones listed already, ones I need to revisit.

The Fabulous Baker Boys is a huge fav of mine - as far as the similar movie idea (band has auditions, forms, gets successful, has personal problems) - also check the movies/soundtracks for The Committments and Swing. Two very good UK films with great musical perfomances!!

I don't think Mo' Better Blues has been mentioned yet...with Terence Blanchard and Branford Marsalis.

If you like Latin jazz, you HAVE to MUST hear/see The Mambo Kings....with all-star big band featuring Arturo Sandoval, the music is hot and the movie is hotter! A beautiful tragic story.

I also really like what Rolfe Kent put together for Sideways too - a nice listen away from film. (And BTW also uses Dan Higgins - the same sax player from Catch me If You Can.)

I also really like what Rolfe Kent put together for Sideways too - a nice listen away from film. (And BTW also uses Dan Higgins - the same sax player from Catch me If You Can.)

I forgot about that one. I like it a lot.

A streetcar named desire.

Music doesn't get more erotic than this.