La-La Land announces Airplane by Elmer Bernstein!

Romão

I would have been 11 or 12, based on the time of the sessions, but as an adult it would have been fun to watch the orchestra performing this over the top serious music and most of them not knowing what's going on behind them on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm weird. I did order Mars Attacks! too though, and there was some delay on this wasn't there?

I normally don't associate the film with the music when I listen to scores but I couldn't quit laughing as I played the disc.

It's certainly a terrific score, but the listening experience benefits considerably from a halo effect by way of the film's legacy.

Now can we close this thread?

More people need to quote Zucker/Abraham/Proft films other than this one.

Agent Steve Bishop: Sir, we have intercepted a disturbing video on the rock of gabraltar.

The Director: Well, what is it?

Agent Steve Bishop: It's this really big rock sticking out of the water on the south coast of Spain.

Agent Steve Bishop: Sir, we have intercepted a disturbing video on the rock of gabraltar.

Agent Steve Bishop: It's this really big rock sticking out of the water on the south coast of Spain.

As annoying as it is, at least he's quoting one of the good ones.

As annoying as it is, at least he's quoting one of the good ones.

They're all good aside from a couple of the recent ones.

EDIT: - Just realised when Airplane! came out....... :)

Anyone else here think that the whole "Molumbo" scene is a kind of parody of Raiders and Temple of Doom? :huh:

There's the music (similar to the opening of Raiders), the people (similar to the villagers in Temple) and the elephants (Temple again).

EDIT: - Just realised when Airplane! came out....... :)

Anyone else here think that the whole "Molumbo" scene is a kind of parody of Raiders and Temple of Doom? :huh:

There's the music (similar to the opening of Raiders), the people (similar to the villagers in Temple) and the elephants (Temple again).

So does that make Raiders & TOD a parody of Airplane?

:P

• 10 years later...

From The Digital Bits (underlined by me):

Then following on 7/21 from Paramount is an Airplane: Paramount Presents Blu-ray (as well as a Blu-ray Steelbook) mastered from a new 4K transfer supervised by the directors, a new Filmmaker Focus piece, a new 2020 Egyptian Theater Q&A with the filmmakers, the previously released audio commentary, and a new isolated audio track with Elmer Bernstein’s score. 

Who would have thought that Paramount of all studios would be the heavy hitter in the isolated score business?

4K Airplane?! YES!

I always thought the previous transfer looked very dark and dated. Hopefully this improves the quality somewhat.