La-La Land announces Airplane by Elmer Bernstein!

Romão

I don't see what the problem is with the guessing games. Take Intrada for example, you already know they have releases every 2 weeks, so you don't need to participate in the guessing games if you don't want.

You know, you always see composers like Bernstein draw praise for "scoring it straight." I get it -- the counterpoint between the silliness of the on-screen action and seriousness of the score only adds to the comedy -- but it seems to me that it's also something of a cop-out. Comedy, after all, is notoriously difficult to score. I mean, how many true comedy scores do you see in that list published by The Hollywood Reporter (let alone the sci-fi/action/adventure-centric lists of the average film score fan)? Only a handful.

Comedies don't necessarily need musical score to help flesh out the emotions, since it's mostly straight in your face. I like the serious score approach to a comedy, but only if it's appropriate.

But you also wonder how many dramas "need musical score to help flesh out the emotions." I always turn to The China Syndrome as the perfect example. The factual stumbles of the film aside, it's a darn good thriller-drama, tense, and by the end, deeply emotional. And it accomplishes it all without a note of orchestral score. I think dramatic scoring can be more superfluous than we are often willing to consider.

Regardless, I do think it's safe to say there are lot of comedy scores out there that are greatly underrated.

I think Airplane! is one score where it really was totally right for it, but I see your point. Perhaps the best true comedy score I've heard is Broughton's Honey, I Blew Up the Kid. It's zany, wildly creative, and a load of fun.

Yes, but Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is a far cry from a serious score. It's a wild and zany score for a wild and zany score. The clown music still gives my sister the willys.

I guess with comedies, you can have it a few ways. You can have a score that doesn't take itself seriously. You can have a serious E. Bernstein-like score. Or you can drop the score entirely and go with songs. A lot of comedies seem to go light on the score and just offer a lot of songs. Others like Heavy Metal and Animal House had it both ways.

There's a Naked Gun soundtrack?!?!? Holy hell, I gotta track down that baby! Ira Newborn's scores for all 3 are fantastic...

Love the rendition of the love theme at the end of the third film, surprisingly heartwarming stuff. Beautiful strings section...

You know, you always see composers like Bernstein draw praise for "scoring it straight." I get it -- the counterpoint between the silliness of the on-screen action and seriousness of the score only adds to the comedy -- but it seems to me that it's also something of a cop-out. Comedy, after all, is notoriously difficult to score. I mean, how many true comedy scores do you see in that list published by The Hollywood Reporter (let alone the sci-fi/action/adventure-centric lists of the average film score fan)? Only a handful.

I can't speak for anything else, but I think AIRPLANE! works so well because it's all played straight, from the acting to the music. Comedies where the characters seem in on the joke never seem that funny at all, and sometimes smug, but AIRPLANE! is perfect because so much of it is not played like a comedy at all.

I can't speak for anything else, but I think AIRPLANE! works so well because it's all played straight, from the acting to the music. Comedies where the characters seem in on the joke never seem that funny at all, and sometimes smug, but AIRPLANE! is perfect because so much of it is not played like a comedy at all.

Yeah, my statement wasn't directed at Bernstein's Airplane! score in particular but rather the approach in general. I think playing it straight is a valid approach; when I say "cop-out" I don't mean literally the composer is shrinking from his duty but that from a compositional standpoint it is arguable they are taking an easier approach.

For those interested in the Naked Gun CD, it appears to be out of print. I've seen copies in stores like Barnes & Noble. SAE has one listed for $8.95:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=9624

It might have something to do with the style of the film being made. Airplane!, Top Secret and the Naked Gun are filmed in a way where a more serious styled score works as opposed to a comical one. There's not a whole lot of Mickey mousing going on in them. There are a few musical jokes; the Jaws them in Top Secret & Airplane!

Another example might be 1941, Williams has some fun with the music but listening to the score on it's own you might think it actually belonged in regular WWII film.

Another example might be 1941, Williams has some fun with the music but listening to the score on it's own you might think it actually belonged in regular WWII film.

1941 is too happy to be a serious war score.

Well I won't be there to order right away, but I'm sure they can wait a half hour for me. I haven't been so excited for a soundtrack release since El Cid!

BTW, thanks for the CD Mark!

I ordered Airplane!, Mars Attacks Expanded, and Something Wicked This Way Comes from moviemusic to get the $1 shipping

Was going to get Monsignor with the other two before MA! was announced

EDIT:

Crap! LLL is now offering MA for $14.95 if ordered alongside Airplane!

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Airplane.html

also at that link: Soundclips!!

EDIT2: Well, LLL charges $5 shipping, so its essentially a wash. Guess I'll keep my order with MM...

Is that the Stromberg one? That one is pretty good as well.

I am kind of sad that there is no track named 'What A Pisser.'

KISS Off instead. :P

Sounds good, but does anyone else think that the track titles are rather lame? :P

Doesn't bother me. The music is the most important thing.

Is that the Stromberg one? That one is pretty good as well.

I am kind of sad that there is no track named 'What A Pisser.'

KISS Off instead. :P

EDIT - We can always change them anyway.

Sounds good, but does anyone else think that the track titles are rather lame? :P

You don't know much about this film, do you?

So Bernstein played this score straight? Seriously? It sounds really goofy. It's nice, but not something that would send shivers down my spine. "Oh, wow, 'From Here to There' is so romantic. I want that playing when I propose to my girlfriend!"

So Bernstein played this score straight? Seriously? It sounds really goofy. It's nice, but not something that would send shivers down my spine. "Oh, wow, 'From Here to There' is so romantic. I want that playing when I propose to my girlfriend!"

I think that's why though. He plays it just the right side of straight, so it sounds goofy without being too obvious.

I only bought Airplane! from MM. They don't have any of the King Kongs, and while SAE does, I'll just wait a few weeks before I buy it. I haven't seen the movie in a long while.

You don't know much about this film, do you?

Yeah I do, I love it. Just thought some of the names could've been better that's all.

I mean, what is Tag?

No, it's a musical term loosely used to describe a coda-like piece of music or a reprise. There's "Resolution" and then there's an end "tag" following it. I think these are Bernstein's original titles.