Best SW Love Theme

indy4

Best SW Love Theme  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is your favorite?

• Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones)
    • Princess Leia's Theme
    • Han Solo and the Princess
    • Luke and Leia

Now, I know not all of these are love themes in the strictest sense, but I think they could all pass for some sort of romantic theme.

My ranking is as follows:

1. Han Solo and the Princess

2. Across the Stars

3. Luke and Leia

4. Princess Leia's Theme

They're all gorgeous themes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Across the Stars was the first and last time JW wrote a love theme for Star Wars! He said so himself! :lol:

But seriously, ummm...I'm strongly tempted to go with door #1, but it's difficult to say. Han Solo and the Princess is adapted brilliantly for use in ESB. Across the Stars is absolutely gorgeous, too...Princess Leia's theme has an amazing concert arrangement, but I'm not a big fan of the flute solos...and Luke and Leia is probably my least favorite of the four, but still quite good.

Meditate on this I will.

"Princess Leia's Theme". I like all of them especially "Han Solo and the Princess", although its counterpart Marion's theme from Raiders is a bit better.

Han Solo and the princess.

BTW, Luke and Leia theme is very very similar to Caesar and cleopatra's love theme in Alex North's Cleopatra. :lol:

BTW, Luke and Leia theme is very very similar to Caesar and cleopatra's love theme in Alex North's Cleopatra. ;)

If you like Alex North so much, why don't you marry him?

:lol:

BTW, Luke and Leia theme is very very similar to Caesar and cleopatra's love theme in Alex North's Cleopatra. :lol:

Or "Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide.

I just came back from a really long cast party, so I am not entirely sure how conheret my sentences will be, but here goes....

1.Princess Leia's Theme

2. Luke and Leia (I just love the parts where it swells

3. HAn Solo and the Princess

4. Across the Stars. It may be my least favorite, but I love it nonetheless.

When I go just by the themes (and not factor in the nostalgia, etc), it's Across the Stars, hands down.

This theme gives me heartaches... but in a good way! :lol:

I would rank Anakin's theme as a love theme of sorts.

BTW all of the ones in the poll are love themes without a doubt.

Really its hard to choose one, they are all quite beautiful.

I would rank Anakin's theme as a love theme of sorts.

If Anakin's Theme is a love theme, then The Imperial March is a love theme too, and where does that end? :lol:

It the performance-orchestration and mood what it makes a love theme, not the musical notes... (i mean... you could make a love theme out of any theme, orchestrating it in a love theme way...)

I mean its a theme that can be (or even IS) used for the relationship between Shmi and Anakin

A mother-son love theme.

When I go just by the themes (and not factor in the nostalgia, etc), and look at the pure quality of the music:

1. Princess Leia's Theme

2. Han Solo & The Princess

3. Luke & Leia

4. Across The Stars

I just came back from a really long cast party, so I am not entirely sure how conheret my sentences will be, but here goes....

OMG Nick! :lol:

When I go just by the themes (and not factor in the nostalgia, etc), and look at the pure quality of the music:

1. Princess Leia's Theme

2. Han Solo & The Princess

3. Luke & Leia

4. Across The Stars

Yes, I'm sure that if you factored in nostalgia that list would be totally different. ;)

I can only assume (perhaps too much), but it might be because...

Princess Leia's Theme - 1977

Han Solo and the Princess - 1980

Luke and Leia - 1983

Across the Stars- 2002

Diminishing returns.

Why do so many hate Across the Stars?

I don't think many people hate it. They simply rank it below three incredible themes.

I sometimes really like it, but when I listen to it back to back with Leia's theme, I feel like pulling out the TMP poster...

I don't think many people hate it. They simply rank it below three incredible themes.

I sometimes really like it, but when I listen to it back to back with Leia's theme, I feel like pulling out the TMP poster...

Yup. It's given a marvelous treatment in "Love Pledge," but on the whole, the theme is as unconvincing as the relationship for which it was written.

Yup. It's given a marvelous treatment in "Love Pledge," but on the whole, the theme is as unconvincing as the relationship for which it was written.

Is that because you find the love story unconvincing, or does it have to do with the actual music?

Well, the love story had more chemistry in the "Love" trailer that used Leia's theme than it did in the film itself, I think.

Is that because you find the love story unconvincing, or does it have to do with the actual music?

The actual music. I remember hearing a live performance at Tanglewood in 2002 and being struck by how utterly weak and insipid the piece sounded -- especially with "Princess Leia's Theme" having been performed earlier in the evening. An unhappy and unflattering juxtaposition, you might say.

To each his own, I guess.

Although I must say, the more I think about it, the more I realize how Leia's Theme doesn't really fit the personality of her character. In the films she's sarcastic, hard headed leader, and I don't think the music reflects that very well. It's still a fantastic piece of music, and decades of associating the piece with the character have made the two fit together perfectly in my mind. But it doesn't really reflect her characteristics, except perhaps her beauty.

To each his own, I guess.

Although I must say, the more I think about it, the more I realize how Leia's Theme doesn't really fit the personality of her character. In the films she's sarcastic, hard headed leader, and I don't think the music reflects that very well. It's still a fantastic piece of music, and decades of associating the piece with the character have made the two fit together perfectly. But it really doesn't fit the more I think about it.

We've already had a thread about this. I can try to dig it up, perhaps. There are two ways to go about it:

a) Princess Leia's theme is intended to be a traditional love theme. I believe Ricard posted a quote from Williams indicating as much.

b) Princess Leia's theme is intended to underscore the archetypal convention of the damsel in distress rather than to delineate the character.

Edit: Take a look at this link: http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...st&p=448404

b) Princess Leia's theme is intended to underscore the archetypal convention of the damsel in distress rather than to delineate the character.

Yes. It's more about Luke's perception of Leia than Leia herself - it's a love theme. (Ew! Gross!) Similarly, Luke's theme doesn't underscore Luke's immaturity and impatience, it favors his heroic edge.

That's a good comparison to draw, Henry. I never thought about it that way, but it's so true - both of their themes very much play into the archetypal roles that they satisfy in the story, not necessarily their actual personalities.

That makes sense. The theme doesn't necessarily play when she's on screen as much as when Luke is seeing an image of her or thinking about her. As far as Star Wars is concerned, we don't know who will end up with her, so she is free for both Luke and Han to desire.

Leia's theme gets my vote. I have loved the theme from the first time I heard it. Such a beautiful development and orchestration. As stated above the music for the Princess is more of an archetype character, the classical love interest in the film for whom JW composed an innocent and beautiful theme to reflect the fairytale aspect of the story he saw in her.

Han Solo and The Princess for me. Love the concert arrangement, which sadly wasn't recorded by Williams with the LSO for the OST like most of his other SW concert arrangements were.