What Is The Last Film You Watched?

I saw it recently, and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Still bad, but it had a fun atmosphere and some of the humor was good. The score is very good.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I continue to maintain that The Mummy is a good film.

It is a good film...at least I think it is. Actually I am amongst the very few who enjoy both movies for The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

I think The Mummy is good as well, for being both a remake of a classic horror movie and an Indiana Jones rip-off.

I thoroughly enjoyed Julie and Julia, I see another Oscar nomination for Meryl, and I believe another victory.

I think The Mummy is good as well, for being both a remake of a classic horror movie and an Indiana Jones rip-off.

The first Mummy is a decent popcorn action/adventure flick with a good cast. The sequels get progressively MUCH worse, although there's still some fun in the second one (mostly the music).

Indeed, you should have said: "Anything directed by the man who directed Van Helsing is pretty much guaranteed to be bad." I did like The Jungle Book, though.

The Jungle Book is a terrific adventure film. The cinematography, music, and production design and costumes all come together for a lovely period vibe, and speaking of the music: Poledouris's score is fabulous. I'd love to get a complete, comprehensive release from Intrada (if my calculations are correct, there is a good solid 13 minutes of totally unused and unreleased music NOT COUNTING the places where music tracked over parts of a cue). It's one of my favorite films (I didn't say one of the greatest, but one of my favorites), and it's definitely something that should be seen by anyone that likes adventure films. I watch this and then look at the G.I. Joe trailer and I think, "What happened?"

Am I wrong or isn't the score held in fairly high regard in some quarters? Because that's a load of rehashed rubbish as well.

And you are completely wrong, or didn't bother to pay any attention whatsoever to the music.

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra

What an awful film. Terrible dialogue, terrible acting, terrible CGI, and terrible music. This movie just absolutely oozes insane amounts of cheese. It has some of the corniest dialogue I've ever heard, with such lines as "You and what army?" [After exiting a crashed vehicle] "Next time I'll drive" and "It is time for the Cobra to rise. (;))" I suppose it's appropriate given this is based off a toy brand/television show, but it's pretty unbearable. At least the cheese dialogue in Transformers was contained towards the end and worked. The story and characters are a mess. Literally every person relevant to the story is introduced in the first 5 minutes so you have no idea who the hell all these people are what they're doing are until it's gradually explained throughout the movie (by method of flashback no less). A character will jump in and one will go "Hello brother" and snap to a quick flashback. You keep getting blindsided by random backstory. There are a lot of characters, with their respective terrible names, like Ripcord and Dr. Mindbender (irrelevant character, but still stupid). The opening scene of the film is utterly useless and serves no purpose. The generic bad guy thugs are supposed to feel no pain or fear, yet they keep yelling in pain and fear when they are killed. Silvestri's score is generic with no thematic structure.

Surprisingly, considering all the crap, the film will evoke laughs from the stupidness/badness. It's better than Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen which was just so bad it hurt. Not worth the money, but I saw it for free so I'm good.

Saw Wag The Dog (1997) with some friends. I knew I'd find it good again. It did nothing for me last time I tried to watch it, but, seen with the right friends, even a movie that had grown stale can regain it's charm. I love how low-key it is, even as I am disturbed by it's deplorable cynicism. One of De Niro's most effective post-heyday performances and one of Hoffman's most enjoyable. Like all Barry Levinson films, it's a bit shaggy...but I love the way he deals with dialogue here.

Up (2009). I liked it a lot. But it did leave me feeling a bit gullible...I'm not sure if I'm being discerning, or just doubting Pixar because they make films so easily satisfying, that I'm over-thinking this. I'm not I'll ever figure that out, but, either way, I really did like it. It's less awe-inspiring as a whole than the Bird or Stanton films, but it's got so many fantastic moments that make up for that. Score worked well, but didn't grab me (though, as I said in another thread, I've been late to the game with both of MG's previous Pixar scores).

Batman Begins

I had forgotten how good this film was. Nolan definitely did an awesome job for a reboot on the franchise and I loved The Dark Knight. While I'm still partial to the first Keaton Batman film, I'm really starting to like this one a lot more. Hopefully Nolan will continue to man the helm on the remakes.

I don't get how someone could despise Batman Begins. It has its flaws though, most of which TDK rectified.

BSG, season 3. Just finished "Collaborators". Wow. Just amazing TV. Loved Adama's rescue in "Exodus II", and especially the

(not so) surprise appearance of the Pegasus

. Some really meaty episodes that do a good job of showing the New Caprica occupation from both sides. My issues are still the same, namely Starbuck - can't stand the actress, and the character just doesn't really work for me - and Roslin, who I've disliked since

the "abduction" of Sharon's child,

and also that she always looks really, really smug. Still, this is great.

I don't get how someone could despise Batman Begins. It has its flaws though, most of which TDK rectified.

I hate to say it but I think Batman Begins is a lot more coherent than The Dark Knight and overall a better film. It's a tough decision because The Dark Knight is an acting powerhouse, although Maggie Gylenhaal didn't resonate with me. I prefer Gotham in BB, which gets a drastic change in TDK. The dirty, gritty, polluted look, and the monorail system with Wayne tower in the center. All of a sudden the city is large and wide with room to breathe. Not to mention the absence of Wayne mansion in the storyline. A third film would probably be better, being able to add the environment of BB and the acting of TDK.

I hate to say it but I think Batman Begins is a lot more coherent than The Dark Knight and overall a better film. It's a tough decision because The Dark Knight is an acting powerhouse, although Maggie Gylenhaal didn't resonate with me. I prefer Gotham in BB, which gets a drastic change in TDK. The dirty, gritty, polluted look, and the monorail system with Wayne tower in the center. All of a sudden the city is large and wide with room to breathe. Not to mention the absence of Wayne mansion in the storyline. A third film would probably be better, being able to add the environment of BB and the acting of TDK.

I agree to a point, although I think TDK's Gotham is purposely different because it's one that's been under the rule of Batman for a while. I think the decision to show so much of it in the day was a conscious decision to show the effect Bruce has had on the city, and how corrupt the Joker really is, with the film getting darker and darker until the scene with Bruce, Harvey and Gordon where there's very little light.

I think BB's tone hurts it a bit, namely the attempt to balance a thoughtful, serious tale with blockbuster action and the water plan, which I think TDK refined. But the last act doesn't work especially well for me. However, it's still an amazing film, and far beyond any of the previous live action efforts. The only weak link I really find is Katie Holmes.

The dirty, gritty, polluted look, and the monorail system with Wayne tower in the center. All of a sudden the city is large and wide with room to breathe. Not to mention the absence of Wayne mansion in the storyline.

That's because most of the story in Begins took place in the 'Narrows', a Blade Runner-esque slum. The whole of Gotham looks pretty similar to how it does in TDK, except for the lack of the monorail which isn't there because it was destroyed like Wayne Manor (it does make a few extremely small cameos though).

King Kong: This could've been very Spielbergian but it wasn't. The film's star is King Kong, no question about it. The best CGI character I've ever seen. His expression was perfect. I actually like the first act the most with its lively depection of New York in the 1930s. The second act, the 'Monster Island' act, was repetitive and over the top though (Without Kong this would've been bad cinema). The characters were degraded and reduced to serve the computer effects. The third act gave us classic King Kong without adding much new.

Alex

Am I wrong or isn't the score held in fairly high regard in some quarters? Because that's a load of rehashed rubbish as well.

And you are completely wrong, or didn't bother to pay any attention whatsoever to the music.

Actually, I paid special attention to the music, what with me being a fan of film scores and all. I have no idea about it ouside of the movie, but as a score to Poltergeist II, it was a servicacble regurgitation of Poltergeist at best. Goldsmith was topping up his pension, as he was known to do throughout his career.

The Hangover

I'd heard this was the funniest movie of the summer, but I only found it mildy amusing, with the odd belly laugh here and there. Tyson's cameo was a completely pointless gimmick. A disappointingly average blockbuster comedy. **/*****

Outside of Carol Anne's theme there is no repeating of material from Poltergeist. It's a completely different score.

That's why I made the comment.

It's distant in my memory now, but I just remember thinking it was melodramatic and by the numbers, much like the bad movie it served.

And not to be pedantic, but there was definitely more than Carol Ann's theme thrown in there; the ghost/haunting motif from the first movie in particular was pretty widely used.

The film is a disappointment.

The score to Poltergeist II has more synth work in it than the first film, plus Goldsmith makes excellent use of the hymn "God is in His Holy Temple". He twists it into a warped version for Kane's character, giving it an unsettling performance.

Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud: Louis Malle's debute picture from 1957 could not hold my attention. Except for the man trapped in the elevator, I just didn't care.

Hehe, Quint, that picture of Supes II, is that a goof?

Alex

HP VI sent me back to the other two good ones. I started with OOTP. Love the conspiratorial tone of it all. I really love the 'Dumbldore's Army' stuff (including the score). I actually really like the climax, even though it starts rather abruptly. It looks phenomenal. Yes, Sirius' death carries almost no weight, which still bugs me. But otherwise, it works. Love the way Yates uses light here, and in the sixth film.

I guess it's been a while since I've seen Cuaron's film- since I had forgotten how amazing it was. Yes, it should have been longer, and it should have contained the full Marauder's Map subplot. But what is there is so great...and I don't think I ever realized that the Lupin/James/Sriius friendship actually pays off nicely in the shrieking shack. The time-travel sequence is inspired, probably the most cinematic section of any of the movies. And the score makes me so proud to be a JW fan. It is so perfect, so invigorated, so different...of the this decade, it's the J score that impresses me most.

Now the HBP worked for me, I am seriously pumped for the last two parts (even though I was not a fan of the first half of the seventh book, and can nary recall it).

True Romance. It said Director's Cut, but I couldn't really notice any differences. It's a weird movie. I don't think I ever noticed how weird it is. It's not a really good movie. But it has some really great things in it. The Sicilian scene, of course. But there are elements of the climax that are really fun (I love Chris Penn and Tom Sizemore). I don't really get the deal with the theme...is it supposed to be Badlands, or not? Is Orff credited? Either way, it works very well in the film.

It's practically a variation on the same theme, with similar orchestration. That's more than homage. Zimmer had very little to do. I'm not so much surprised at the similarity, just that it's not more publicized. This is not a Hans Zimmer piece.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: RAZOR

Hmm. Not really impressed. Seemed a bit pointless. It was neat seeing the old-school Cylons and all, but I had no interest in Shaw or Cain's life story, and it didn't change the way I felt about either of them. It was ok, I just felt that it could have been time better spent watching a couple of actual episodes.

No. Machete was a fake trailer before one of the Grindhouse movies, featuring Danny Trejo. It was better than the movie that followed, so they're turning it into a real movie, with an awesomely eclectic cast.

I think that Robert Rodriguez just likes to cast Danny Trejo as characters named Machete. I don't know if they're related beyond that.

Machete: Danny Trejo as Machete, a renegade and dangerous former Mexican federale and labor worker who gets hired for a job to assassinate a corrupt sentator but is later betrayed and goes out for revenge against his former boss[9]

Danny Trejo also played a character named Machete in the Spy Kids trilogy. In Spy Kids, Machete is a retired spy from Mexico.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: RAZOR

Hmm. Not really impressed. Seemed a bit pointless. It was neat seeing the old-school Cylons and all, but I had no interest in Shaw or Cain's life story, and it didn't change the way I felt about either of them. It was ok, I just felt that it could have been time better spent watching a couple of actual episodes.

Not a backstory fan then? :) It's good for what it is, but it doesn't top Galactica's best "regular" eps.

John- who can't wait to see The Plan

But Danny Trejo played Machete in Spy Kids, so it must be a sequel or prequel?

Not to mention that he played character named Trejo in Heat. :o

I would think that if two Robert Rodriguez movies don't intersect beyond a preference for name, a Michael Mann movie certainly won't, either. Although De Niro's in this Machete movie, and was also in Heat.

So help me, if we start playing Six Degrees of Danny Trejo...