What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the favorite character of the series! Even if Viggo gave a splendid performance, I still wouldn't understand why he could be someone's favorite. Sure, kids are probably drawn to him because he's the archetypical hero, but we're no kids, are we? Other than running around the landscape and handling a sword while waving his long hair, what does he do?

Sure, kids are probably drawn to him because he's the archetypical hero, but we're no kids, are we?

We mostly talk about plastic sharks-killers, andrioids, superheroes, and human-looking aliens. Are you completely sure? ;)

Karol

Sure, kids are probably drawn to him because he's the archetypical hero, but we're no kids, are we?

We mostly talk about plastic sharks-killers, andrioids, superheroes, and human-looking aliens. Are you completely sure? ;)

Karol

Good point!

Star Trek (2009)

Every once in a while I'll watch certain scenes from the film. The only complaint was the over use of the lenses flares...even watching it on regular DVD it can be pretty blinding from time to time. I mean I could see a lense flare coming from the Sun or maybe even a light source but half the time there were no sources for a lense flare to come from. I know Abrams liked them and just had them in for the hell of it...but when there was no sources for them to come from? Come on now...don't make one go blind by unnecessary lense flares.

That, and the shaky cam (especially in the bar scene) need to go if they ever get around to shooting the sequel. Star Trek was a superb, although flawed, piece of entertainment that was distractingly hampered by modern photographic techniques.

Knight and Day

I went to it wanting to hear a new Powell score and apart from one action cue, it's a Mr and Mrs Smith clone (although maybe it's better on the album since it's mixed really low). Forgettable movie and I'm really surprised how much CGI is in the film since Mangold didn't use any that I could see in Yuma.

Star Trek was a superb, although flawed, piece of entertainment that was distractingly hampered by modern photographic techniques.

It's flawed for sure but I think taking the series out of the cinematographical stone ages was one of the best things about it. My problem with Star Trek movies is how dull and dated everything generally is from a visual point of view.

Alex

I watched about 2 of the 2.5 hours of Funny People on HBO before falling asleep last night. It was nothing to write home about. I didn't really find any of the characters likeable. I don't regret missing the rest.

I think apart from maybe Seth Rogen and his friend/colleague (who gets less important as the film progresses), not one character was meant to be likable. The film was too long tough. Still, it has some good stuff in it. It should've been a 90 - 100 minutes movie.

Alex

Cape Fear I consider trash

But so extremely entertaining.

Damn right. It's such deliciously vulgar movie, I revel in watching it.

Honestly, the last Scorsese movie I saw was The Departed, which was pretty good; yet completely disposable. Like Spielberg, he's lost his way. A lot of his earlier stuff is pretty spectacular though: movies like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull and Goodfellas are up there with the real classics of contemporary cinema. Heck, I even love After Hours - great late night movie. Got to give a shoutout to Taxi Driver's score too, which is easily as effective as Star Wars in terms of suitability.

Scorsese at his best is still less than Spielberg at his almost best.

Star Trek was a superb, although flawed, piece of entertainment that was distractingly hampered by modern photographic techniques.

It's flawed for sure but I think taking the series out of the cinematographical stone ages was one of the best things about it. My problem with Star Trek movies is how dull and dated everything generally is from a visual point of view.

Alex

you're as clueless as Abrams.

Nothing in Star Trek 2009 comes close to the fantastic space battle in Star Trek the Wrath of Khan. 27 years after even the all great Abrams is clueless how to better that space battle.

Nothing in Star Trek 2009 comes close to the fantastic space battle in Star Trek the Wrath of Khan. 27 years after even the all great Abrams is clueless how to better that space battle.

Oh, but I wasn't referring to those things, which makes you the clueless, Joe.

People hear the word "visual" and they immediately think about 'visual effects'. ;)

It's not just the cinematography, it's how everything was designed. The new Apple iEnterprise is ugly as sin. I think they shook the camera around and loaded the screen up with lens flares because they realized after they arrived on the set how awful everything looked. I'll take the old-style Star Trek ships, the Nostromo with its dank corridors, blinky lights and CD players and the whole fleet of the first Star Wars Trilogy's vehicles over it.

Oh, but I wasn't referring to those things, which makes you the clueless, Joe.

People hear the word "visual" and they immediately think about 'visual effects'. ;)

again you're clueless. You think you know what I was referring to but you are wrong again.

I wasn't referring to the effects. Star Trek 2009 is a fine effects film without much of a coherent story.

I'm talking about the superb construction of the intense battle between Kirk and Khan, both visually and psychologically. There is nothing in Abrams film that touches it. As has been discussed here before, it's a great

"submarine" battle.

I agree with Alien (which radicalized the genre and set new standards with its looks) and old school sci-fi design in general, but the sets and costumes in the Star Trek series always looked a bit goody-goody and cardboard-like . It was the production design in combination with the way it was filmed. There was something very well-behaved and nerdy about those visuals. For a long time this was part of its charm, I guess. The deal with the new Star Trek is to partly break away from that.

Alex

Then you missed a good movie because it was superior to all the "zombie" movies of late which are all the same which is nothing.

The acting by the lead Olaphant is quite good.

Not so positive. It's 56% on RT and 6,8 on IMDb.

I don't know where you get that. The Crazies got a 72% on Rotten tomatoes,

Oops, I googled with 'The Crazies' and 'Tomatoes' and that had brought me to an RT page of the original The Crazies. Apparently, the new one is yet another remake.

ah yeah, its a superior remake of the terrible film by the maker of many terrible films including the original Night of the Living Dead. Romero made the fun Dawn of the Dead(1978), making him a one hit wonder IMHo

Then you missed a good movie because it was superior to all the "zombie" movies of late which are all the same which is nothing.

It was the same as any other film of this genre I can ever remember watching. Zombies or something attack, a usually young, good-looking guy brandishing a firearm or some other weapon and broad hook up and sneak around a town for an hour and a half trying to escape or stop them. I just saw another one like this, the vampire movie set up north? Very formulaic, very dull. Slither was the best of this particular genre since it was a black comedy. This movie took itself too seriously. The semi-comedic car wash scene actually felt like an outtake from Slither.

ah yeah, its a superior remake of the terrible film by the maker of many terrible films including the original Night of the Living Dead. Romero made the fun Dawn of the Dead(1978), making him a one hit wonder IMHo

Like Lucas - Romero was once considered a cult god. That was before he thought he could recapture the 'magic' of bygone times. Now he's merely regarded as some bloke who once made a great movie; but it could've been worse: he could've raped childhoods.

The acting by the lead Olaphant is quite good.

Olyphant is good yes, but anything else?

It was just full of last minute saves, "ya think he's really dead?" gags, infected people doing weird stuff, and the usual scene with guys in hasmat suits scanning everyone.

Nothing compelled me to continue watching it.

I made the mistake of renting the Collector, the premise sounded interesting, the execution and style is SAW INFINITUM.

I can return it without watching it to the end. Goodbye dollar.

Like Lucas - Romero was once considered a cult god. That was before he thought he could recapture the 'magic' of bygone times. Now he's merely regarded as some bloke who once made a great movie; but it could've been worse: he could've raped childhoods.

Oh, like that Roman guy?

Field of Dreams.

I love this movie and the score really adds a strong emotional component to the film. I don't own the score but it is so effective in the film. You can't help but get choked up at the end.

:lol: So true.

Karol

I saw Snow White. Another great dose of nostalgia. I love how you can see the imperfection in the animation. Makes it feel more handcrafted.

Knight And Day

Had 2 hours to nothing after I started the last movie tonight, so decided to watch this one. Missed the first 5-10 minutes, and a few more early on because I had to step out for a bit, so yeah. First off, it has all the necessary ingredients to make a decent romantic-ish action flick, yet it somehow fails. The editing is sloppy, the script is unbelievably cliche at times, and the chemistry just doesn't work between Diaz and Cruise. I didn't know it was so easy to love and then immediately hate and then immediately love a person so many times. It's too fast, it's pretty much constant action, so the character development gets tossed out the window. Paul Dano was a pleasant surprise and I thought he was better than the two leads. It is watchable, some of the action scenes are pretty good, but they're tainted by an overdose of unnecessary CGI. Powell's score was fantastic amongst everything else, although he doesn't bring anything new to the table. There's some tango-ish material, which is frankly annoying since it's the standard now for every romantic assassin action comedy. But there's a good dose of his trademark action writing, some great Spanish flair and a splash of Gigli. Nothing thematic to bring it all together, but I imagine it'll be a fun listen on CD. Oh, and to top of this already too long summation of my viewing experience, the title doesn't make sense to me.

Apart from a few movies I don't like Tom Cruise , and from the trailers this seems to be the cocky Tom Cruise I wanted to punch in the face in the 80's (from Top Gun,All the Right Moves,Days of Thunder,Cocktail...)...so I'll skip it even though there's nothing else to see this week. I'd even see Twilight Eclipse over this

I don't think he's anything like Lucas, he's been making films all his life, he only went back to zombie films because he was able to get the budget for what he wanted to do since 1985 (Dead Reckoning, which turned into Land of the Dead). I agree his later films aren't incredible, but I don't think there's a huge amount of comparison there. He's also made some good to great movies outside of the Dead trilogy (of which all are brilliant). Films like Martin, like The Crazies (which is really underrated), even the barmy Knightriders and Creepshow (okay, the last two are not great, but a lot of fun). But he's still regarded as one of the greatest directors of the golden age of horror (and arguably started it with Night of the Living Dead).

What happened to Spielberg? He once could make any character likeable!

And the way he 'forced' us into liking the janitor in The Terminal was appalling! Sometimes you can push too much.

Alex

Oh yes, I just loved how likeable Spielberg made Walter Donovan. Especially when he shot Indy's dad. So likeable.

I didn't want to like Tom Cruise. I still don't. But his 80s classics were made before he went psychlo.

I never saw The Terminal. It must have been one of the last movies made on VHS because it's on our shelf collecting dust and pet dander.

Oh yes, I just loved how likeable Spielberg made Walter Donovan. Especially when he shot Indy's dad. So likeable.

True, Spielberg's talent was already fading during Indy's Dad.

Creepshow is a masterpiece. It's very successful at what it sets out to do. It's a ripping good time (with a fun score too).

And the way he 'forced' us into liking the janitor in The Terminal was appalling! Sometimes you can push too much.

...by casting Tom Hanks? I don't get it.

True, Spielberg's talent was already fading during Indy's Dad.

The production values were apparent when Colonel What's His Name waved his hand in front of the giant movie screen of the giant blimp, and you can tell it's a giant blimp on a giant movie screen.

...by casting Tom Hanks? I don't get it.

Why do you speak of Tom Hanks? Was he the janitor? No, he was head of construction!

I love crappy blue screen effects, especially those in the Indy movies. ToD's are easily just as bad (good) as the blimp shot in LC, though.

The only truly bad one in all the series is, ironically, Mutt's monkey swinging.

Apart from a few movies I don't like Tom Cruise , and from the trailers this seems to be the cocky Tom Cruise I wanted to punch in the face in the 80's (from Top Gun,All the Right Moves,Days of Thunder,Cocktail...)...so I'll skip it even though there's nothing else to see this week. I'd even see Twilight Eclipse over this

Yeah you'll definitely want to punch him in the face in this one. I hate when he smiles, because the crazy in him just creeps through. I still love him as an actor though, he's definitely one of my favorites.

Like nobody else (not even the mighty Michael J. Fox), Cruise embodied the decadent self-assuredness of the '80s. No man could stand him but the girls were turned on by it. That made us hate him even more.

Nah, blokes then still had Harrison Ford and Indiana Jones to reassure themselves about. A man's man has never been more accessible than the knock about guy in Raiders.