What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not talking just about invasion movies--many scenes from ID4 were taken straight from Star Wars.

Thank God that Star Wars doesn't take anything straight from other movies...

Homage is a better word.

Im so glad that Indy4's knowledge of movies is so vast. I feel I can learn so much from him. ;)

Saw the Proposal, one damn fine movie, it belongs to the 80's, but its a fine movie none the less. At times its absolutely hysterical. Sad to say but I suspect the young ones here won't find it funny, its not a typical comedy of the "00".

Its not a sophisticated Judd Apetow film where people say fuck every 47 seconds, and you get prolonged glimpses of mens junk, instead it keeps the profanity to a minimum. The nudity in the movie is hidden and made all the more funny.

Betty White is crazy funny in this movie, give the ole broad an Best Supporting Oscar nod.

I want that cute dog

Saw the Proposal, one damn fine movie, it belongs to the 80's, but its a fine movie none the less. At times its absolutely hysterical. Sad to say but I suspect the young ones here won't find it funny, its not a typical comedy of the "00".

Its not a sophisticated Judd Apetow film where people say fuck every 47 seconds, and you get prolonged glimpses of mens junk, instead it keeps the profanity to a minimum. The nudity in the movie is hidden and made all the more funny.

Betty White is crazy funny in this movie, give the ole broad an Best Supporting Oscar nod.

I want that cute dog

The Proposal is that one romantic comedy with Sandra Bullock, right? ...Eh, I am not too fond of the genre.

what 14 year old boy is, Nick? The sad thing is there are so many good romantic comedies that don't interest someone your age. What's bad for older folks is there are so many more bad romantic comedies out there that people get scared off the genre and jaded critics tend to be unduly harsh.

what 14 year old boy is, Nick? The sad thing is there are so many good romantic comedies that don't interest someone your age.

Hmm, those hollow, formulaic romantic comedies that Sandra Bullock is known for don't interest me either, Joe.

what 14 year old boy is, Nick? The sad thing is there are so many good romantic comedies that don't interest someone your age.

Hmm, those hollow, formulaic romantic comedies that Sandra Bullock is known for don't interest me either, Joe.

I like While You Were Sleeping.

Whether it's the worst piece of music, film (or the most ugliest girl in the neighbourhood), there's always someone who likes it (or her).

I don't really get Sanrda Bullock. I liked her in Speed, but can't really think of anything else. Saw The two Kill Bill films. I was hoping to finally see the two reveal themselves as two parts of a whole. No such luck. Part I is still mostly boring and show-offy, while part II is actually pretty damn fantastic.

yes but you may have the emotional range of a dead fish.

You are the resident psuedo intellectual here and you dismiss an entire genre because you of all people here hate to be manipulated, God forbid you would show such weakness, even though manipulation is what all films do at various levels which each individual viewer..

There is nothing wrong with formula, almost all films follow a formula, so do romantic comedies. Its funny that Roger Ebert, who liked the proposal, said it harked back to the Tracy Hepburn romantic comedies of past.

Myself being a bit younger than Roger, came out thinking that Sandra Bullock, who btw is adorably beautiful in this film, and Ryan Reynolds, remind me of James Garner and Julie Andrews.

I'm not saying its a great movie, its not, but its a fun one, very funny, but I won't dismiss is because its a romantic comedy. Its a better romantic comedy than any of Judd Apetow's romantic comedies, 40 Year Old Virgin, or Knocked Up which are the "00"'s twist on the genre, filled with drug use, nudity, relentless profanity, and little humor.

There are alot of good and great romantic comedies and they are often funny, touching, and heart wrenching.

It Happened One Night, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Philadelphia Story, Arsenic and Old Lace, Its a Wonderful Life, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Annie Hall, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Romancing the Stone,

Moonstruck, When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, Ground Hog Day, Sleepless in Seattle, As Good as it Gets, Legally Blonde, My Best Friends Wedding, 50 First Dates, and so many I didn't name. Hell even WALL-E was in essence a romantic comedy.

Oh and I didn't just put Raiders there to have people nit pick. It and Temple are nothing more than action built around romantic comedy.

yes but you may have the emotional range of a dead fish.

You are the resident psuedo intellectual here and you dismiss an entire genre because you of all people here hate to be manipulated, God forbid you would show such weakness, even though manipulation is what all films do at various levels which each individual viewer..

There is nothing wrong with formula, almost all films follow a formula, so do romantic comedies. Its funny that Roger Ebert, who liked the proposal, said it harked back to the Tracy Hepburn romantic comedies of past.

Myself being a bit younger than Roger, came out thinking that Sandra Bullock, who btw is adorably beautiful in this film, and Ryan Reynolds, remind me of James Garner and Julie Andrews.

I'm not saying its a great movie, its not, but its a fun one, very funny, but I won't dismiss is because its a romantic comedy. Its a better romantic comedy than any of Judd Apetow's romantic comedies, 40 Year Old Virgin, or Knocked Up which are the "00"'s twist on the genre, filled with drug use, nudity, relentless profanity, and little humor.

There are alot of good and great romantic comedies and they are often funny, touching, and heart wrenching.

It Happened One Night, Bringing Up Baby, Holiday, Philadelphia Story, Arsenic and Old Lace, Its a Wonderful Life, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Annie Hall, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Romancing the Stone,

Moonstruck, When Harry Met Sally, Pretty Woman, Ground Hog Day, Sleepless in Seattle, As Good as it Gets, Legally Blonde, My Best Friends Wedding, 50 First Dates, and so many I didn't name. Hell even WALL-E was in essence a romantic comedy.

Is the presence of 50 First Dates a misprint?

Are you sure you are a man, Joe? I mean, this is the taste of an ordinary house wive with no real deeper interest for cinema.

Alex

That's just nonsense. I don't share Joe's love for all of those films, but some of the best films ever are romantic comedies, and there is nothing wrong with them. The fact that a great deal of them are stupid and insulting does not negate the validity of the genre.

Morlock- who just saw Groundhog Day again, which, among other things, is a terrific romantic comedy

The fact that a great deal of them are stupid and insulting does not negate the validity of the genre.

I believe those are the ones that Joe loves. The Meg Ryans, the Sandra Bullocks, the Julia Robertses, the Renee Zellwegers ... you know, the corny, cliché ones those housewive channels keeps airing all the time.

His list proves otherwise. And in a world where I could watched My Best Friend's Wedding and Barry Lyndon over the same weekend, have a great time with them both, each one scratching a different itch, I frankly don't understand your theory of mutual exclusivity (which really is the most irrational of all attitudes about film- it's what makes Armond White so difficult to take seriously. There is not a single peron on the face of the earth whom he has not indirectly insulted with a review, making even his valid arguments muddled).

His list proves otherwise. And in a world where I could watched My Best Friend's Wedding and Barry Lyndon over the same weekend, have a great time with them both, each one scratching a different itch, I frankly don't understand your theory of mutual exclusivity (which really is the most irrational of all attitudes about film- it's what makes Armond White so difficult to take seriously. There is not a single peron on the face of the earth whom he has not indirectly insulted with a review, making even his valid arguments muddled).

My "theory of mutual exclusivity"? Just because I think most romantic comedies are shallow and cliché doesn't mean there aren't exceptions. Heck, I remember you couldn't find any exceptions for the Western genre, a genre you once dismissed in its entirety, so spare me your lectures.

I don't recall that...and if did happen, well, I've grown up. Saying that liking one thing means one can't appreciate something else is just a ridiculous position to take, I think. Anyway, all the great films are the exceptions for their genre. Any genre can be lambasted for its formulas and cliches and the ways in which they insult their audience. Maybe comedies are more at fault because they're (I think) more widely viewed than other films...but having a particular liking for romantic comedies strikes me as no stranger than having a particular liking for only Dogme films, which are theoretically more important.

I have the opposite taste of Joe (the real Joe who loves the mediocre Zellwegers and Bullocks). I like my romantic comedies to be less nice and sweet (less 'prince on a white horse'), like The Graduate and Knocked Up. What Joe hates, I like.

BTW, I'm not dismissing the old B&W ones. I don't really remember them but I used to love them when I was a kid (and I was well under 14 years when I saw them).

Oh, yes, Raiders Of The Lost Ark isn't really a romantic comedy because the emphasis is on action and adventure.

Alex

Are you sure you are a man, Joe? I mean, this is the taste of an ordinary house wive with no real deeper interest for cinema.

Alex

are you sure you're a man, you sound more like a pussy to me, afraid of romance, but so many men are cowardly that way.

again you're making assumptions about me, like I do you, but where mine are accurate yours are not. I am not fond of Rene'e Zelleweger, I don't think I've ever seen her in romantic comedy, but yes I do like Julia Roberts, sometimes Meg Ryan, some times Sandra Bullock. I listed all those films but I can't say that I am fond of all of them, I just included them, and why Charlie and Koray would you thing 50 First Dates isn't a romantic comedy?

It says more about you liking shit like Knocked Up, than it does me not liking it, and we've never discussed the Graduate which is a very good film that isn't filled with vulgarity like Knock Up, and really you do a disservice to the Graduate in mentioning it with Knock Up.

QUOTE (Morlock @ Jun 21 2009, 06:03 PM)

The fact that a great deal of them are stupid and insulting does not negate the validity of the genre.

what you forgot to mention morlock is that your comment fits ever single genre out there.

And finally Alex you can argue the point about Raiders in that it is a action adventure film, but there is no doubt that the heart and soul of the film is built around the romantic comedy aspects of Indy and Marion's relationship.

But of course you haven't seen the Proposal, most likely won't see the it so your comments regarding the film are lacking and real basis for thought. Oh and how much do you even know about the genre, I suspect little as a whole but yet you do seem to have a clue...perhaps you're a closet romantic, hell our message board relationship is exactly the makings of a great romantic comedy.

Up! Really nice film. Saw it in 3D in a surprisingly packed (albeit small) theater. As I expect with Pixar, it just had the whole package - a solid if off-beat story, lots of humor that's actually funny, gorgeous visuals, great voice work...and I really enjoyed Giacchino's score! I hadn't listened to any samples or anything, so it was all new to me, and I thought it worked wonderfully. Came home and bought it on Amazon, and I'm listening to it now. Great stuff. I could easily imagine "Up With Titles" playing on Main Street at Disneyland...

I saw The Happening. It was pretty awful, although I don't think its quite the worst movie ever made as some have said. At least the score was somewhat compelling if literally nothing else was. It felt like the premise of a good Twilight Zone episode that was made into a horribly executed film. Hopefully the Avatar movie Shyamalan is making now will redeem him, I hope it does because I do believe he has talent. He just needs to get off his high-horse.

what you forgot to mention morlock is that your comment fits ever single genre out there.

Actually, he does mention that in a separate posting.

- Alan, who doesn't understand why Alex has to put down "ordinary housewives" to justify his taste in films

I listed all those films but I can't say that I am fond of all of them, I just included them, and why Charlie and Koray would you thing 50 First Dates isn't a romantic comedy?

I thought you were listing the greatest romantic comedies. I'm not denying that it is a romantic comedy, it's just not a very good one.

I listed all those films but I can't say that I am fond of all of them, I just included them, and why Charlie and Koray would you thing 50 First Dates isn't a romantic comedy?

I thought you were listing the greatest romantic comedies. I'm not denying that it is a romantic comedy, it's just not a very good one.

Same here. I just wondered why a movie like that was being listed anywhere near a bunch of good romantic comedies.

- Alan, who doesn't understand why Alex has to put down "ordinary housewives" to justify his taste in films

Because those 'prince on a white horse' movies and housewife channels are synonymous.

There aren't any "housewife" channels. There's daytime television.

We have housewife channels and they are broadcasting day and night. Movies are usually at 9 PM.

Because those 'prince on a white horse' movies and housewife channels are synonymous.

But why are you so doubtful that people who enjoy "nice and sweet" romantic comedies can also possess both a Y chromosome and a "deeper interest in cinema"? Your viewpoint seems awfully simplistic.

You mean channels like Lifetime when you say "housewife" channels, right?

I don't know what "Lifetime" is. Is it American? I'm talking about those TV channels that are about food, cooking, redecoration, Oprah, Doctor Phil and a Hugh Grant movie in the evening.

But why are you so doubtful that people who enjoy "nice and sweet" romantic comedies can also possess both a Y chromosome and a "deeper interest in cinema"? Your viewpoint seems awfully simplistic.

Well, it's because it is that simple, generally speaking, of course. I mean, look at Joe!

Saw Drag Me To Hell. I had a fine time. Movie wasn't as funny or scary as I tought, and I think this whole notion of Raimi's inspired approach to the genre is blown out of proportion....but it was quite fun. I wish more was done with the telegraphing of the ending. It's obviously quite obvious...I would have liked if Raimi toyed with expectations a bit more. Score was effective, with a couple of really nice cues (Main titles and parts of the climax).

I was rather bored, so I was going to do a Pirates of the Caribbean marathon as something of a challenge.

Challenge indeed.

First one was rather fun, but by the end you feel like it's said everything it's needed to say. The sequels are just superflous additions. Curse of the Black Pearl already feels too long and occassionally self-important for its own good. The sequel really goes overboard with it. I made it about 40 minutes into Dead Man's Chest before I gave up on the whole thing and went to do some shopping. Yawn.

X-Men: The Last Stand

Starts off alright and has an interesting element in the Cure and how it's viewed and used by several characters throughout the film. Unfortunately, most of it is snowed under by the film's relentless pacing that goes from one action scene to the next without stopping for any decent plot or character development. Even the awesome Ian McKellen is diminished to spouting not more than poor oneliners in the third act. The Angel subplot is wasted on the film and it would have been better off without it. Another case of trying to cram too much into a final episode (Spider-Man 3).

The final battle is flashy and loud, but like the rest of the film, it lacks any heart or character interest and dissolves quickly into a whole bunch of people running around and flying across the screen. Beast is pretty bitchin' though and I have to mention the scene where his hand is briefly turned back into his old human hand by Leech's power. Kelsey Grammer's look sells it every time. Best scene in the film. Good score, too, but a mediocre by-the-numbers moneymaker of a film.

Dead Men's Chest is still my favorite Pirates movie, even if it is too long. I think it adds on quite nicely to the setting and characters. Davy Jones is quite compelling.

But man, At World's End is such a mess...