What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Drag Me To Hell. I had a fine time. Movie wasn't as funny or scary as I tought, and I think this whole notion of Raimi's inspired approach to the genre is blown out of proportion....but it was quite fun. I wish more was done with the telegraphing of the ending. It's obviously quite obvious...I would have liked if Raimi toyed with expectations a bit more. Score was effective, with a couple of really nice cues (Main titles and parts of the climax).

It doesn't help when the ending is constantly shown in the previews.

The first Pirates of the Caribbean was amazing. One of my favorite theatrical moviegoing experiences - mostly just because it was a fun movie, but also because I'm a huge fan of Disneyland, including the original attraction the film was inspired by. For me, both sequels failed miserably at being fun AND at paying respect to the attraction. The changes they made to the characters' fundamental attributes were sickening...the humor ceased to be funny...the plots became infinitely more convoluted...the music lost its edge without gaining any depth or originality....key plot points were explained in incomprehensible accents...there was a distinct shift from a quasi-realistic view of piracy with an unexpected fantastic twist to a completely fantasy-based view of piracy...and then AWE went overboard with the scourge of sequels everywhere: epicness. But that's just me.

But man, At World's End is such a mess...

But it has, perhaps ironically, the best score. That's a strange phenomena, great score to a crappy movie.

The first Pirates of the Caribbean was amazing. One of my favorite theatrical moviegoing experiences - mostly just because it was a fun movie, but also because I'm a huge fan of Disneyland, including the original attraction the film was inspired by. For me, both sequels failed miserably at being fun AND at paying respect to the attraction. The changes they made to the characters' fundamental attributes were sickening...the humor ceased to be funny...the plots became infinitely more convoluted...the music lost its edge without gaining any depth or originality....key plot points were explained in incomprehensible accents...there was a distinct shift from a quasi-realistic view of piracy with an unexpected fantastic twist to a completely fantasy-based view of piracy...and then AWE went overboard with the scourge of sequels everywhere: epicness. But that's just me.

I agree with most of that (everything but the music and humor), but I still find the second and third films to be fun to watch. Though they are far from being good films. The first is great, I agree.

Or one could not, Koray. None of the scores have a speck of originality in them, and none of them sound like real orchestral performances, but the first score has a heart...and balls.

Madea Goes to Prison was funny but I can do the black woman routine just as well, and with a bit more attitude. Course I've never dressed up for it, you just go to get the hand gestures and the neck move down.

Gran Torino, hilarious movie, not sure I was supposed to laugh so much but I did.

I saw The Omen II: Damien. My first impression was that it was a good but flawed film, but the more I think about it, the worse it gets.

I guess I can start with the cheesy effects--WAY worse than the first film.

The reporter's body after hitting the truck, the insides of the Doctor, the red makeup on the reporter's face after being attacked by the crow, the curator crushed between the two train cars...just terrible effects, the dogs and beheading from the first film were more convincing than any of the ones I just mentioned.

I realized after watching the film that I was not scared once. Nothing comes close to the final few scenes the first film, or any of the deaths of the first. It was all very predictable.

And the climax did not feel at all like a climax. It felt the same as the beginning and middle of the film, plus a minor plot twist.

Goldsmith's score was good, but I would had preferred less being tracked from the first.

The only aspect of the film that was as good as the first was one shot--the reveal of the main character. I love the way the camera shot Damien from behind a large fire, obscuring his body from plain view. Very Hellish. :) (this smiley has no real purpose here, I just thought it was appropriate given the subject matter)

I still want to see the third film, because I'd like to know how the story resolves, but I certainly hope it's better than this one.

But man, At World's End is such a mess...

But it has, perhaps ironically, the best score. That's a strange phenomena, great score to a crappy movie.

It does, though I would call it mildly tolerable, which is probably the highest praise you'll ever see me give Zimmer.

I'm a big fan of DAMIEN: OMEN II. I think the portrayal of Damien is the most interesting of the trilogy, and the kid pulls it off pretty well. Holden is great.

I guess I can start with the cheesy effects--WAY worse than the first film. The reporter's body after hitting the truck, the insides of the Doctor, the red makeup on the reporter's face after being attacked by the crow, the curator crushed between the two train cars...just terrible effects, the dogs and beheading from the first film were more convincing than any of the ones I just mentioned.

Well yeah, the dogs were real. I don't really get your complaints on the cheesy effects. The blood on Joan's face I'll give you, but it just seems a strange complaint about a movie made when modern effects in general were still in their infancy, especially as the effects are different (read: more graphic) than the first movie.

And the climax did not feel at all like a climax. It felt the same as the beginning and middle of the film, plus a minor plot twist.

Buh? That's the same complaint people used to have about ESB. Middle chapter and all that.

Goldsmith's score was good, but I would had preferred less being tracked from the first.

Examples? I don't remember any tracked music.

Yeah, I realized that a bit after I posted it.

Omen III: The Final Conflict:

Uh, what the Hell (no pun intended) happened to

Damien needing to be killed in a Church?

Anyway, aside from this, it was good! Miles ahead of the second film. Neil's performance was over the top and melodramatic at times, but that's really what I'd expect from the Anti-Christ on the brink of ultimate victory. I appreciated how this film focused more on the religious aspect rather than the political one. Goldsmith was fantastic, I must consider getting the score.

I guess I can start with the cheesy effects--WAY worse than the first film.

The reporter's body after hitting the truck, the insides of the Doctor, the red makeup on the reporter's face after being attacked by the crow, the curator crushed between the two train cars...just terrible effects, the dogs and beheading from the first film were more convincing than any of the ones I just mentioned.

Well yeah, the dogs were real. I don't really get your complaints on the cheesy effects. The blood on Joan's face I'll give you, but it just seems a strange complaint about a movie made when modern effects in general were still in their infancy, especially as the effects are different (read: more graphic) than the first movie.

The first film faced the same technology (if not worse) and a lower budget (don't have the figures, but I'm assuming that the sequel to a very popular film would be allowed a higher budget since the idea is tried and true), and it still managed to be way more realistic than any of the more graphic deaths in Omen II (I realize that the beheading is the only scene in the first that's as graphic as those I mentioned in the second, but it still looked way better than anything I mentioned).

Buh? That's the same complaint people used to have about ESB. Middle chapter and all that.

That's like saying the second film can suck, because its only purpose is to get enough story in so that the third one, which will rock, will be setup. The film should still work as a standalone piece of work. I've never heard those complaints about ESB, but I certainly don't agree with them. To me it has a very defined climax, and at the same time perfectly sets up RotJ for the rest of the story.

Examples? I don't remember any tracked music.

I can't give you any specific scenes, but I do remember hearing "Killer Storm" and "Demise of Ms. Baylock" quite a bit, among others.

You can get all 3 in a nice package for $16 on Amazon.

Yeah, I wish I would've waited to get the first one.

Okay, so maybe not tracked. I understand the need to recycle music in busy times and such, I'm just saying I would've preferred more new stuff.

Wall-E: It looks even better on Blu-ray than in the theater. The first 20 or 30 minutes simply border perfection. And this time I could clearly distinguish the Chapman Stick in the score. I always wanted to have one of those. I also counted 3 direct references to 2001 but I only remember two of them. Anyway, it's a good animation flick but some parts (in the Axiom) are a little too ADHD.

Edit: I just remembered the third reference to 2001: 1) The rudder 2) The pod 3) Strauss

Alex

I just thought of another reason to dislike Omen II. I'm too tired to figure out what's a spoiler and what isn't, so I'll just tag everything.

How is it that Damien doesn't know he's the Anti-Christ? In the first film he attempts murder, he sits back and watch while his father is brutally attacked, he clearly knows what his father is trying to do to him in the penultimate scene, and he smiles at the camera at the end! But in Omen II he just seems to forget that all.

And what about Buher(sp?) and his pointless subplot? He's established as an Apostle of Satan, but he serves really no purpose except his little pep talk with Damien at the birthday party. It's like he was just added him so the makers could shoot the ice scene. I honestly hope I'm missing something here. I had hoped his story arc would be completed in Omen III, but alas, it was not.

I just thought of another reason to dislike Omen II. I'm too tired to figure out what's a spoiler and what isn't, so I'll just tag everything. How is it that Damien doesn't know he's the Anti-Christ? In the first film he attempts murder, he sits back and watch while his father is brutally attacked, he clearly knows what his father is trying to do to him in the penultimate scene, and he smiles at the camera at the end! But in Omen II he just seems to forget that all.

I think you're giving a little too much credit to him. He's just a child, he doesn't have a clue what's going on. The smile, even that is just a natural fact of childhood that we can choose to be related to who he is. There's a difference between seeing someone be attacked and having a dagger pointed at you. The first one works well because it can still be effective if you don't believe in all the spooky stuff.

That's like saying the second film can suck, because its only purpose is to get enough story in so that the third one, which will rock, will be setup. The film should still work as a standalone piece of work.

And it does. Museum burns down, Damien realises he has the power, end title. I don't really understand exactly what your issue is.

Okay, so maybe not tracked. I understand the need to recycle music in busy times and such, I'm just saying I would've preferred more new stuff.

It's surprisingly full of new stuff for a sequel. Ave Satani itself is only used around three times, two of which are new arrangements.

Wall-E: It looks even better on Blu-ray than in the theater. The first 20 or 30 minutes simply border perfection. And this time I could clearly distinguish the Chapman Stick in the score. I always wanted to have one of those. I also counted 3 direct references to 2001 but I only remember two of them. Anyway, it's a good animation flick but some parts (in the Axiom) are a little too ADHD.

It's an excellent film and the first act is fantastic, but it also has what I consider to be one of the worst lines EVER (mostly because it's in such a sharp contrast with the goodness that surrounds it):

"Get ready to have some kids!"

Oh, for crying out loud.

The Omen had a budget of less than 3 million dollars

...which is not nearly as little as Richard Donner would have you believe. I saw the sequel mainly for Holden. I remember very little about it besides the main credits and the goofy looking scene where the guy is stuck under the ice.

Re POTC: I have come around to thinking that the Pirates of the Caribbean is a rather remarkable and unique trilogy. The first film is extremely fun even though its last act is a mess. Saved by performance. The second film, instead of simply cashing in and recycling the first, totally changes tones. As a result of that, and the fact that it is the thankless middle chapter, it is probably the least entertaining of the three (though I think it a better constructed film that the first). The third infuriated me initially (as Blumenkohl probably remembers). But I kept on coming back to it for some reason, and it has really grown on me. And whereas the second one was saved for me by the last 30 second or so, I think the battle at the end of the third one is absolutely sensational.

Also, I think it is like Back to The Future in a way. No, not in quality. No, not in intelligence. But in the way -uncommon for film series- that every single film has its unique focal point, a totally different feel from the others. Also, I think they're similar in the fact that I think every movie in the series has its own star. Marty and Doc only really dominate the film in BTTF3- I think that Crispin Glover and Lea Thompson make BTTF1, and Thomas Wilson makes BTTF2. With Pirates, Depp makes the first one work, Bill Nighy makes the second one worth watching, and Geoffrey Rush takes over in the third one.

I never made it to POTC two and three. Saw the first, was bored stiff, tried to watch it again and could never find anything interesting about it beyond Depp's performance, which I don't think was enough to carry the movie.

Transformers 2

Ugh, it got pretty much the same reaction from me as the first one (maybe less so since I had less fun in theaters with this one than the first). It could be an hour shorter and it's got script problems (writer's strike didn't help) and I'm getting sick of Bay's humor.

I never made it to POTC two and three. Saw the first, was bored stiff, tried to watch it again and could never find anything interesting about it beyond Depp's performance, which I don't think was enough to carry the movie.

I agree but the guy from The Office was funny. I don't feel the need to watch the other POTC films.

Transformers 2

Ugh, it got pretty much the same reaction from me as the first one (maybe less so since I had less fun in theaters with this one than the first). It could be an hour shorter and it's got script problems (writer's strike didn't help) and I'm getting sick of Bay's humor.

Still shaky cam and filmed close to the action?

I just thought of another reason to dislike Omen II. I'm too tired to figure out what's a spoiler and what isn't, so I'll just tag everything. How is it that Damien doesn't know he's the Anti-Christ? In the first film he attempts murder, he sits back and watch while his father is brutally attacked, he clearly knows what his father is trying to do to him in the penultimate scene, and he smiles at the camera at the end! But in Omen II he just seems to forget that all.

I think you're giving a little too much credit to him. He's just a child, he doesn't have a clue what's going on. The smile, even that is just a natural fact of childhood that we can choose to be related to who he is. There's a difference between seeing someone be attacked and having a dagger pointed at you. The first one works well because it can still be effective if you don't believe in all the spooky stuff.

C'mon, he's not just smiling because he's a kid. The entire point of that smile is to unnerve the audience, because it's him saying "Ha, I survived, mankind is doomed."

That's like saying the second film can suck, because its only purpose is to get enough story in so that the third one, which will rock, will be setup. The film should still work as a standalone piece of work.

And it does. Museum burns down, Damien realises he has the power, end title. I don't really understand exactly what your issue is.

The only thing that makes these last deaths feel any different from the others in the film was the plot twist. Other than that it is just a repeat of everything else that's been going on in the film thus far.

C'mon, he's not just smiling because he's a kid. The entire point of that smile is to unnerve the audience, because it's him saying "Ha, I survived, mankind is doomed."

That's the interpretation, yeah. But that's what the filmmakers put in our heads, not the character itself.

I don't really believe a film has to work as a standalone piece. If it's a middle part, it shouldn't need to spend unnecessary time going over things already established. It doesn't even need to follow the classic model. ESB, for example, doesn't work as a standalone film. It has a beginning, a middle, and an end (sort of) but you can't go into that movie without knowing a jot about SW and expect for it to work.

Re POTC

I think I agree. Despite some flaws it's the best action-adventure series of this decade.

The Lord Of The Rings!

It's not a series. Moron!

As has been said, nothing is tracked. A couple of cues of the first score are reworked into this, but while they seem to stand out at first, they're really not so direct copies as they seem. Plus there's a wealth of cool new stuff. Without trying to make this a contest, I think Damien is actually more varied than the first score.

Goldsmith was fantastic, I must consider getting the score.

Does not compute.

Yeah, I would totally recommend it. Some of the only Jerry Goldsmith scores I enjoy listening to.

:angry:

Re POTC

I think I agree. Despite some flaws it's the best action-adventure series of this decade.

The Lord Of The Rings!

Assuming it's a series, still it's fantasy, not action-adventure. Not in my book.

Transformers 2

Still shaky cam and filmed close to the action?

Not as bad as the first one but it doesn't really matter.

And thanks for raping my bandwidth, Charlie

Depp makes the first one work, Bill Nighy makes the second one worth watching, and Geoffrey Rush takes over in the third one.

I agree, Rush and the Depp/Rush interplay is the only reason I'd watch the third one. As I've said before, the only way I'd want a 4th PotC movie is if is was just Depp and Rush one-on-one, with some of the old Black Pearl comic relief crew.