What Is The Last Film You Watched?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman: Arkham Asylum is better and more respectful to the source than all of the movies put together.

More respectful? I guess, although I think people would be surprised how faithful a lot of BB and TDK is. Better? No. It beats the Burtons and Schumacher's, but BB, TDK and MASK OF THE PHANTASM are better. I loved the game to bits, but Dini wrote a lot better for the animated series, which is easily the best portrayal of Batman in any medium other than comics.

I just meant I had a LOT more fun with AA than I did with the movies. I watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time recently, it was alright, but it was basically just a kids cartoon and actually pretty corny - there wasn't much there for the older, less purist fan. I was mildly entertained throughout though.

I LOVE the animated Batman though, his voice is perfect and I much prefer him to Bale's [too young] Dark Knight.

I just meant I had a LOT more fun with AA than I did with the movies. I watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time recently, it was alright, but it was basically just a kids cartoon and actually pretty corny - there wasn't much there for the older, less purist fan. I was mildly entertained thourought though.

I can understand that. Have you seen much of the animated series?

Only what I vaguely remember seeing on a saturday morning, as a kid. What's this Year One batman thing? Is that a cartoon too? Sounds good.

Year One was a late eightes comic by Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli that basically told the story of Bruce Wayne's first appearances as Batman and Gordon's career in Gotham PD. It inspired BEGINS and the animated series, and is generally regarded as one of - if not the - the best Batman stories ever (along with The Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum and The Long Halloween (which also inspired BEGINS and especially TDK)). It's highly, highly recommended.

I'd also recommend the animated series, especially 'Heart of Ice', 'Two-Face', and 'Almost Got 'Im'. A lot of it is surprisingly mature for a saturday morning show ('Two-Face' especially), and is superbly written and performed. I imagine some are on YouTube.

Sherlock Holmes. David wanted to see it. I did not. Being a Guy Ritchie film said alot and after it was over said alot. I really hate it when movies are set up for a sequel, especially one that would take little effort to be better than this film.

Hans Zimmer's score is among the worst scores I've ever heard. It sounded like the cranking of an old jack in the box. 2 times in 3 days I've suffered physical damage to my ears because of this abomination of a film composer.

Alas, I think you're fighting a losing battle here- even Jeff Bond liked the score.

Everyone has their faults. Can't be right all the time.

I saw Princess and the Frog--I really liked it. There were lots of real genuine laughs, some nice music (I'm considering getting the score), and I liked how Disney had the guts to

kill off the comic relief guy.

The score is one of the best of the year and one of Zimmer's best in awhile.

No, it's crap

Best of 09: Up, Avatar, Drag Me to Hell.

The score is one of the best of the year and one of Zimmer's best in awhile.

No, it's crap

Best of 09: Up, Avatar, Drag Me to Hell.

Why yes it is.

and I liked how Disney had the guts to

kill off the comic relief guy.

Absolutely.

This was the first movie I saw dubbed in a long time. And the first movie I saw dubbed in a theatre since Die Another Day (and that just because that was free).

I liked it a lot, but the German dub was horrible (and even worse than expected). I'm sure it'll be altogether wonderful when the original comes out on Blu. Damn them for playing the undubbed version so briefly, when I'd already made plans with a friend (actually, the last screening of the undubbed version was just one day before I watched it).

He has not done a 5 star score since 1997.

Titanic is hardly a 5 star score. I guess it meanders somewhere between 2 and 4 stars.

Up is easily the best of the year for me. Nothing else came close.

Agreed. That score is simply divine, and is the majority of the reason why the film works.

Really Joe?

He has not done a 5 star score since 1997.

You know every now and then Chris Clemmensen and I see eye to eye.

Sherlock Holmes

Not a perfect film, but a very enjoyable one. Downey Jr. and Law work great together. The movie excels when Sherlock is acting like he's supposed to, and when the film makes slight nods to the books. Zimmer's score is fantastic, but it works better on album.

I know. In the film it's chopped up a lot. Zimmer always has suites for his album presentations, makes for a better listening experience I find. Or perhaps the theater just wasn't loud enough, because it was pretty quiet. Needed to turn up the Hans!

Sherlock Holmes

Not a perfect film, but a very enjoyable one. Downey Jr. and Law work great together. The movie excels when Sherlock is acting like he's supposed to, and when the film makes slight nods to the books. Zimmer's score is fantastic, but it works better on album.

it's good if you like bad jack in the box type music, which you do.

I kept wondering if a monkey would become visible while the little italian guy cranked on the music box

Titanic is hardly a 5 star score. I guess it meanders somewhere between 2 and 4 stars.

It's a 5 star score within the movie. On it's own I'd give it a 3-1/2. Although Horner's theme for Rose is quite beautiful.

Indeed it is, possibly even his most stunning melody of all. Shame I can't bear to hear it nowadays, played to death as it is. Cheesy too.

I'd give the Titanic score 5 stars within the movie and 5 stars without. It was a force of nature, back in the day.

It's a 5 star score within the movie. On it's own I'd give it a 3-1/2. Although Horner's theme for Rose is quite beautiful.

I've never heard it on album. In the film, the sinking music is effective standard Horner, but much of the stuff before disaster strikes borders on unbearable. I'd rather listen to the better Enya original.

Sherlock Holmes

it's good if you like bad jack in the box type music, which you do.

I kept wondering if a monkey would become visible while the little italian guy cranked on the music box

That was kinda the purpose. Zimmer used vintage out of tune instruments and quirky instrumentation for a reason.

I don't fancy the new Sherlock movie, but I don't have a problem with people enjoying it and it's music.

Have you seen it? I didn't expect to like it, but it's far from bad. At least it's something different for the character.

it's not a bad movie, but it's not a good movie either, and its not as good as any of the Basil Rathbone Holmes which are all B movies.

Does Holmes really need to be different? He's done ok in his normal guise all these years. I don't usually jibe with the whole 'make the character/property fresh for the modern audience' PR stuff, because it generally comes with a bad script underneath it all.

Haven't seen the film btw, just theorizing.

STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT. If you skip half the film (mostly the on-the-ground bits), and imagine a few bits in-between, it's actually pretty good.

Prince of the City (1981). Alex, I believe you are a fan of this Lumet movie. It is evident from his (superb) book that he is very proud of it- and with good reason. It's a terrific movie! 167 minutes, but is really engrossing, and flies by. Treat Williams is generally good in the main role of the cop who spills the beans on the wrong-doings in his department. There were a couple of big scenes where I felt him trying too hard and missing, though. The rest of the cast is great, including a whole bunch of really, really nice brief performances by recognizable actors and non-professional ones alike. The scenes at the score of the film, the ones between Danny and his partners, are particularly good, though there's one fantastic scene where all the people involved in the case come to one room and speak their minds about it. It's a great tale of a guy who wants to make things right, but has limits about how extensive he'll be. Nicely shot, designed, with a really nice score by Paul Chihara.

It's a great reminder of how good Lumet can be when he's in his element, which I thought he wasn't in his most recent film (an ugly film about ugly people doing ugly things).

Does Holmes really need to be different? He's done ok in his normal guise all these years. I don't usually jibe with the whole 'make the character/property fresh for the modern audience' PR stuff, because it generally comes with a bad script underneath it all.

Haven't seen the film btw, just theorizing.

There was a big behind the scenes preview for Holmes the last movie we went to go see, and I was turned off the instant I heard "Sherlock Holmes" and "superhero" in the same sentence.