Rate "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"!

Josh500

Rate "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these tracks do you like best (from the first 3 movies)?

• Hedwig's Theme (last track on PS OS album)
    • Harry's Wondrous World
    • Fawkes the Phoenix
    • The Chamber of Secrets
    • Mischief Managed (only the first 2:48 minutes)
    • Not familiar.
  2. 2. CoS the score (as heard on the album).

• 5 stars
    • 4.5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Not familiar.
  3. 3. CoS the movie.

• 5 stars
    • 4.5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3.5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2.5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1.5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Not familiar.

Harry's Wondrous World

Score: 4.5

Movie: 4

I rewatched CoS again, and it's really not that bad. The score, the way it's edited in the movie is really bad at times, but the scenes which were scored with new music are really good:

Opening Sequence, Flying Car, Knockturn Alley, Reunion, Basilisk, whenever the Chamber of Secrets motif is heard, Aragog, etc.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fawkes the Phoenix (no comment needed, I think)

3,5 for the score on the album (enjoyable, but, apart from few tracks, a bit redundant as a whole)

3 for the movie (I'm being generous here)

Karol

Fawkes the Phoenix (no comment needed, I think)

3,5 for the score on the album (enjoyable, but, apart from few tracks, a bit redundant as a whole)

3 for the movie (I'm being generous here)

Karol

What do you mean by redundant? The first half of the soundtrack album is pretty good.

The movie itself is not bad, IMO. CC did a good job.

why can I vote for Hedwig's Theme (from PS) and Michief Managed (from POA)?

What?

Objectively speaking, CoS is a more polished movie than SS. However, it is so similar in look and style that it suffers a lot from the feeling of a lack of freshness.

Objectively speaking, CoS is a more polished movie than SS. However, it is so similar in look and style that it suffers a lot from the feeling of a lack of freshness.

You could say the same about every Star Wars movie after the original.

But looking back now, PoA may boast one of the best scores, but the movie itself is ultimately inferior to the original 2. PoA is a case of "style over substance." If you didn't know the story at all, you would have no idea what's going on. (I mean, what WAS Harry doing in that shack with the rat?)

Still, I'm not saying that I don't like PoA. I like all 3 movies. For me, PS is the best of the 3, though.

What?

"Rate "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"!, It's really not that bad."

"Which of these tracks do you like best?"

What?

"Rate "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"!, It's really not that bad."

"Which of these tracks do you like best?"

Ahhhh I get you.

Well the first question refers to all 3 movies.

Rate CoA comes after that. :)

Fawkes The Phoenix is a truly brilliant emotional track by JW, rivaled only by A Window To The Past from POA. Dueling The Basilisk is a really fantastic action cue too.

The movie was pretty good but the end scenes were pretty bad IMO... I disliked Christian Coulson's acting and I thought

the basilisk was very poorly animated in the final standoff scene. The ending was pretty cheesy too.

But otherwise it was a fine film, though not my favourite in the series. POA and OoTP are my favourite films.

You could say the same about every Star Wars movie after the original.

Nonsense.

PoA is a case of "style over substance." If you didn't know the story at all, you would have no idea what's going on. (I mean, what WAS Harry doing in that shack with the rat?

Apart from being confused about the appearance of the stag, I had no problems at all when I first watched PoA without knowing a thing about its story beforehand.

What do you mean by redundant? The first half of the soundtrack album is pretty good.

Only that there is so many "cut & paste" job throughout. There are around 8 tracks (out of 20) that are more or less adaptation.

Karol

Cue: at the moment, "Mischief Managed!" But it could be any of those depending on when you ask me.

Score: 4 stars

Film: 3 stars (Despite the cheesiness and lack of originality, I enjoy seeing Rowling's ideas come to life, and it's a fun film.)

Fawkes

Score: 3.5

The score is mediocre in some parts, bloody brilliant in others. The two new main themes are superb, the "rerecorded" parts of the score are good in a Superman II kind of way.

I've always enjoyed the movie, an improvement over the first and good adaptation of the book.

I think "The Flying Car" is an underrated cue.

The Spiders as well. Listened to this last night. I love the section towards the end that I believe underscores their escape from the forest in the car.

Hedwig's Theme

Score: 4

I think the score is excellent. My appreciation for the CoS score developed when I went to the two "Harry Potter Book Release" days in Hudson, Ohio a few years back. The entire town was transformed into Harry's world, with all the local shops becoming Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley shops. The town was rigged with massive PA speakers blasting the CoS score into the night air. I was amazed at how effective it all was.

It's the worst Potter film so far, IMO. It suffered from rather extreme sequelitis, and the score makes the problem even worse. There are SO many moments rehashed from the first film that the stylistic consistency actually harms the film. Although I don't actually own the OST, I do remember most of the new music quite well, and it really just...doesn't do it for me. "Fawkes the Phoenix" starts out strong, but I don't like where the melody goes after a few seconds. A lot of the other music almost seems like it should work, but something about it annoys me. Go figure. However, I'm not going to vote since it wouldn't quite be fair, considering I'm not intimately familiar with the OST.

Also, the ending of the film is one of the worst moments in all the Potter movies so far. The expanded ending of the cue is good, but unnecessary. The original SS ending is classy; this COS ending, like...showboats. And it does a good job of it, but ultimately, it still feels like it's trying too hard to me. I'd probably feel differently if that had been written first, though. And if William Ross was responsible for that particular expansion - and I think I remember he was - kudos to him for maintaining Williams' style very successfully.

If he could do it over I wonder if he would have prioritized writing more original underscore instead of so many fully developed concert themes. I get the feeling he originally wanted those pieces to be adapted by Ross to the movie but when he realized how that wasn't going to work he was left making clumsy adaptations form the first Harry Potter score and even Attack of the Clones. The result is a some great concert tracks but some embarassing underscore that doesn't live up to his usual standards. Still, what original underscore there is, is very good.

- Adam

I really love this score, I enjoy the album as much as the Sorcerer's Stone OST and find it overall to be as good a sequel score to SS and ESB was to SW, if that makes sense

The movie, well, I just plain really like the first two HP films. They both did a great job of adapting the books without leaving out too much important stuff, and didn't really change anything.

Both films benefit from watching a cut with the deleted scenes put back in, incidentally.

I had a hard time choosing between HWW and FTP for best track, but I think HWW just edged it out because everytime that track comes on, I air-conduct and humm along probably more than I do to any other film score track. Not sure what it is about it that does that to me.

All the COS concert arrangements are great, though. I love Fawkes the Phoenix, I love The Chamber of Secrets, I loves Dobby's Theme, I love Gilderoy's Theme.

If he could do it over I wonder if he would have prioritized writing more original underscore instead of so many fully developed concert themes. I get the feeling he originally wanted those pieces to be adapted by Ross to the movie but when he realized how that wasn't going to work he was left making clumsy adaptations form the first Harry Potter score and even Attack of the Clones. The result is a some great concert tracks but some embarassing underscore that doesn't live up to his usual standards. Still, what original underscore there is, is very good.

- Adam

Exactly. In the end, we have about 40 minutes of GREAT music, which is all what Williams was originally supposed to do. The rest of the music is a complete mess of re-used and adapted cues (and the tracking in the film is far worse than any of the Star Wars films)

The movie, well, I just plain really like the first two HP films. They both did a great job of adapting the books without leaving out too much important stuff, and didn't really change anything.

Right. They're the only ones that were well adapted, by many accounts.

I definitely want the complete score to COS. The CD actually isn't bad. I appreciate that several cues that were adapted (or whatever) and weren't featured on the first CD were present. The unreleased chamber music is a highlight. The predominantly three note theme for the Sorcerer's Stone was re-used for many scenes pertaining to the chamber and dark forces. It sounds awesome when they learn in class that there's a monster and when the entrance is opened. The Quidditch scene is easily the worst cue.

The predominantly three note theme for the Sorcerer's Stone was re-used for many scenes pertaining to the chamber and dark forces. It sounds awesome when they learn in class that there's a monster and when the entrance is opened.

But the three note theme was meant to represent the Philosopher's Stone, so it should not have been used at all! Instead, the actual Chamber of Secrets theme was almost barely used.

And yet not used in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Don't get my wrong, I like the usage of the theme in CoS, but it's sad that the great Chamber of Secrets theme was completely underused BECAUSE of that!

Only that there is so many "cut & paste" job throughout. There are around 8 tracks (out of 20) that are more or less adaptation.

Karol

Maybe, but that doesn't make the music itself bad (if you liked PS, that is).

Besides, I always tend to focus on the new music. ;)

Besides, I always tend to focus on the new music. :lol:

I never said the album is a bad listen. But you have to admit the new material is underutilized. In the score in general.

Karol

Besides, I always tend to focus on the new music. :lol:

I never said the album is a bad listen. But you have to admit the new material is underutilized. In the score in general.

Karol

Well, yes. And I blame William Ross.

After all, whose job was it to adapt the new themes?

Exactly.

I think "The Flying Car" is an underrated cue.

The Spiders as well. Listened to this last night. I love the section towards the end that I believe underscores their escape from the forest in the car.

I agree. Two of the very HP cues, IMO.

I must admit I have always found CoS better listening exp. than PS. It doesn't have that Hook 2 feel which slightly bothers me [in PS]. It's darker and I am very fond of the new material (Fawkes, CoS, Dobby). Spiders the action cue kicks ass.

It's the worst Potter film so far, IMO. It suffered from rather extreme sequelitis, and the score makes the problem even worse. There are SO many moments rehashed from the first film that the stylistic consistency actually harms the film. Although I don't actually own the OST, I do remember most of the new music quite well, and it really just...doesn't do it for me. "Fawkes the Phoenix" starts out strong, but I don't like where the melody goes after a few seconds. A lot of the other music almost seems like it should work, but something about it annoys me. Go figure. However, I'm not going to vote since it wouldn't quite be fair, considering I'm not intimately familiar with the OST.

Also, the ending of the film is one of the worst moments in all the Potter movies so far. The expanded ending of the cue is good, but unnecessary. The original SS ending is classy; this COS ending, like...showboats. And it does a good job of it, but ultimately, it still feels like it's trying too hard to me. I'd probably feel differently if that had been written first, though. And if William Ross was responsible for that particular expansion - and I think I remember he was - kudos to him for maintaining Williams' style very successfully.

Reading this, I can see that you're only slightly familiar with CoS.

You praise all the wrong things! Kudos to William Ross for maintaining Williams' style very successfully??? :lol:

I must admit I have always found CoS better listening exp. than PS. It doesn't have that Hook 2 feel which slightly bothers me. It's darker and I am very fond of the new material (Fawkes, CoS, Dobby). Spiders the action cue kicks ass.

Yes. I even like Prologue, Knockturn Alley (I like how it starts scary, but as soon as Hermione appears, the music changes completely), and Introducing Colin.

But I don't prefer this over PS.

One question though... why just the first 2:20 minutes of Mischief Managed?

The actual end credits suite is about 6 minutes long, with double trouble transitioning (beautifully) into a NEW version of the Past theme (later tracked into the track "Window to the Past"), transitioning (with Hedwig's theme) into Buckbeak's Flight, with a slightly different orchestration. AFTER THAT, comes the cut and paste job.

It always annoys me that everyone seems to think that Williams only composed 2 minutes of end credits!

One question though... why just the first 2:20 minutes of Mischief Managed?

The actual end credits suite is about 6 minutes long, with double trouble transitioning (beautifully) into a NEW version of the Past theme (later tracked into the track "Window to the Past"), transitioning (with Hedwig's theme) into Buckbeak's Flight, with a slightly different orchestration. AFTER THAT, comes the cut and paste job.

It always annoys me that everyone seems to think that Williams only composed 2 minutes of end credits!

Well, they might be different recordings, but they're still the same pieces.

BTW, how does Buckbeak's orchestration differ here? Never been able to figure that out.

the only same piece is Buckbeak's Flight (the main difference comes after the opening drums: the harp glissandi don't appear on track 6)

A Window to the Past (track 7) is a copy and paste job, which contains the original end credits version of that theme! The only original segment of that track is the first minute. All the rest is cut and paste from different scenes (and the crescendo with Hedwig's theme is CLEARLY supposed to lead to Buckbeak's Flight)

Hedwig's theme. Score as heard on the album: 3.5. I'd love it if about twenty minutes of adapted material were cut. Film: 2. Dull, uninspired, goes on forever. The original film is much better.

the only same piece is Buckbeak's Flight (the main difference comes after the opening drums: the harp glissandi don't appear on track 6)

A Window to the Past (track 7) is a copy and paste job, which contains the original end credits version of that theme! The only original segment of that track is the first minute. All the rest is cut and paste from different scenes (and the crescendo with Hedwig's theme is CLEARLY supposed to lead to Buckbeak's Flight)

Yep.

I've always thought that these 2 are completely different recordings, but actually they are the same. The beginning might be another recording, or maybe that harp glissando has been added later, I don't know.

Anyway, Williams arranged the end credit suite to flow from Double trouble, to Window to the Past, to Buckbeak's Theme. So, the actual Mischief Manached cue is about 6 minutes long :lol:

Anyway, Williams arranged the end credit suite to flow from Double trouble, to Window to the Past, to Buckbeak's Theme. So, the actual Mischief Manached cue is about 6 minutes long :lol:

No. I don't know what you mean by "the actual MM cue."

The whole track is slightly over 12 minutes long, but I only meant the instrumental version of DT at the beginning, and not WTTP or Buckbeak's Flight! :lol:

Don't know the final score - I haven't seen it in a while - but it loses at least a star for its retarded ending.

Yes. And the score should lose a star for the retarded use of the Stone theme as a "Mystery of the Chamber" theme when the far superior, freakishly awesome, and criminally underused Chamber theme should have been there.

Film:...Dull, uninspired, goes on forever.

Funny, I felt the same way about Half Blood Prince.

The whole track is slightly over 12 minutes long, but I only meant the instrumental version of DT at the beginning, and not WTTP or Buckbeak's Flight! :lol:

I meant that the suite Williams composed/arranged for the end credits is NOT a cut and paste job, as everyone seems to think. he composed a 6 minute suite, with new arrangements of double trouble, window to the past and a reprise of buckbeak's flight, with transitions between them. After that, the rest of the track is just cut and paste of previous tracks.

the first 2:20 of MM is the equivalent of saying the first 2:00 of the end credits of Raiders. it's ok, but it's not a complete cue :lol:

I meant that the suite Williams composed/arranged for the end credits is NOT a cut and paste job, as everyone seems to think. he composed a 6 minute suite, with new arrangements of double trouble, window to the past and a reprise of buckbeak's flight, with transitions between them. After that, the rest of the track is just cut and paste of previous tracks.

the first 2:20 of MM is the equivalent of saying the first 2:20 of the end credits of Raiders. it's ok, but it's not a complete track :lol:

Well, he composed the whole thing!

You're right, the first 6 minutes (instr. Double Trouble --> Window --> Buckbeak) has more smooth (or different) transitions, but that's it. He didn't add ANYTHING new to speak of after the first 2:20 minutes. A harp glissando, OK. But that's not a new arrangement, in my book.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The ONLY thing that was pretty much the same was Buckbeak's Flight. At 2:20 of MM comes a NEW arrangement of Double Trouble, followed by a NEW arrangement of Window to the Past (yes, in the album it also appears on track 7, but that is just tracked in, this is the original version composed FOR the end credits), with a transition to the reprise of Buckbeak's Flight.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The ONLY thing that was pretty much the same was Buckbeak's Flight. At 2:20 of MM comes a NEW arrangement of Double Trouble, followed by a NEW arrangement of Window to the Past (yes, in the album it also appears on track 7, but that is just tracked in, this is the original version composed FOR the end credits), with a transition to the reprise of Buckbeak's Flight.

I said after the instr. DT. We all know that's a new arrangement.

The ending of Window to the Past is slightly different, OK. But it's still the same piece.

And I only meant the instr. DT here, for the poll.