"Up" Wins Golden Globe

Joe Brausam

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the main theme, but the rest of the score doesn't do much for me beyond the 'contemplative' moments.

It's just not a Pixar film where I felt the music did anything except help the film. I prefer Michael in Trek mode.

(surprised they presented the music award in the show? thought all ceremonies except the oscars had an 'earlier this evening' segment)

Woo hoo! As little regard I have for the Golden Globes a win is a win. ;)

Trek is my favorite from the last year, but Up is a damn fine score too and very worthy of being recognized.

(surprised they presented the music award in the show? thought all ceremonies except the oscars had an 'earlier this evening' segment)

They always present the music award during the show for the Globes.

I have more respect for the Globes than I do the Oscars these days.

They usually get it right more times than the Academy, Williams won a Globe for Geisha.

But congrats to Michael Giacchino, Up is a very good score and worthy of its award.

I have more respect for the Globes than I do the Oscars these days.

They usually get it right more times than the Academy, Williams won a Globe for Geisha.

True. The Academy's selections for the music award the last several years have ranged from laughable to outright embarassing.

I've never been a big Giacchino fan, but the score for "Up" was one of the best I've heard in a long time. Maybe it's time to reappraise the man's previous work.

If you do, don't overlook the scores for "Medal of Honor", some people dismiss them because they're for a videogame but I feel they're his best work. The first one has a "Last Crusade" vibe.

I don't like the score and think the film is problematic to say the least (Coraline was my choice)...but it was nice to see Giacchino get some love. His speech was good, great to see McCartney cooperate.

His win was the only suprise, though. It was a singularly boring list of winners.

I was very happy with this win, and the "Best Animated Film" win. I don't know how the hell Avatar got two of the big ones, but I think the right decision was made in at least this category.

I was very happy with this win, and the "Best Animated Film" win.

The latter was very predictable, albeit extremely deserved. And yes, it's fantastic that it won Best Score. Hopefully the win will carry over to the Oscars.

I was very happy with this win, and the "Best Animated Film" win.

The latter was very predictable, albeit extremely deserved. And yes, it's fantastic that it won Best Score. Hopefully the win will carry over to the Oscars.

Up also won Best Score at the Critics Awards.

The Golden Globes are given out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association--which is an association that's way corrupt. The presenters and winners were making fun of this fact all night long. That's probably how 'Nine' got all those nominations.

Up also won Best Score at the Critics Awards.

The Golden Globes are given out by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association--which is an association that's way corrupt. The presenters and winners were making fun of this fact all night long. That's probably how 'Nine' got all those nominations.

All of which you say is true, but Up still deserved its awards.

I don't like the score and think the film is problematic to say the least (Coraline was my choice)...but it was nice to see Giacchino get some love.

I really liked the film, although I found parts of it more problematic than any Pixar film since at least Cars - probably more so, since I wholly enjoyed that. It's probably the first Pixar to win in a "best movie" category where I don't necessarily agree. I think I'd have chosen both Coraline and The Princess and the Frog over it.

Never fully got into Giacchino's score, but considering his overall output these past year, and what I've heard of his competition, I think he absolutely deserves his award.

Tarantino should have won best directory. And I would have liked to see Emerson win, too.

loved how Cher called him giacapichino. Up definately deserved it over his failed score to Star Trek.

More like her total disdain for the category she was presenting.

Well it's not as bad as Jennifer Love Hewitt thinking Ennio Morricone was a band a few years ago.