Which is the better score Star Trek III The Search for Spock

JoeinAR

Which is the better score?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better score?

• Star Trek III The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek 2009

Since jojo accused me of being Josh, I figured I'd give him a reason with a rash of polls.

Which do you think is better?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar enough with TSFS as a score. I recall it being very TWOK-esque, which means I'd probably give it the win just for the way it sounds, but Star Trek would get my vote in a contest of originality. Again, I really just don't know this score well enough.

I'm not familiar enough with TSFS as a score. I recall it being very TWOK-esque, which means I'd probably give it the win just for the way it sounds, but Star Trek would get my vote in a contest of originality. Again, I really just don't know this score well enough.

It's awesome. You'll never hear ALIENS the same way again.

Just for the heck of it, I'll vote for Giacchino's. It's certainly fresher than Star Trek III. Meaning: if III had come before II, then III, obviously.

Star Trek III.

Honestly for me I do think that the 10 previous Star Trek scores are by far better than Giacchino's, even Star Trek Generations.

Well actually that I think about it Star Trek (2009) could out beat Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Well actually that I think about it Star Trek (2009) could out beat Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Easily. Love the film, hate the score. The main theme sounds like a royal procession or something...except annoying. The degree to which that score does not capture the spirit of Star Trek is equal to the degree to which the film does.

Easily. Love the film, hate the score. The main theme sounds like a royal procession or something...except annoying. The degree to which that score does not capture the spirit of Star Trek is equal to the degree to which the film does.

While I agree, I do think "Home Again" has a far better use of Courage's material than in "To Boldly Go/End Credits". That cue is really the only one from the score that really feels like Trek.

Star Trek III.

Honestly for me I do think that the 10 previous Star Trek scores are by far better than Giacchino's, even Star Trek Generations.

no, voyage home is superior to 2009.

I think Leonard Rosenman gets an unfair rap for his score to ST IV.

The film didn't require a heavy handed score nor did it require wall to wall music. I think the main theme fits the earthbound story and add that in with the Whale theme, which is quite lovely, and you have a very enjoyable listening experience with some light comedy music in between.

I'm not familiar with IV outside the main theme, but it's a theme I've loved since even before I called myself a film score fan.

Well a double dumbass on YOU!

IV is the only Trek I haven't picked up the CD for. I like the cue at the end with Courage's theme, it's a great arrangement, and the earlier dramatic cues aren't bad and work well in the film. The rest I can live without.

Star Trek III.

no, voyage home is superior to 2009.

I did say could but you're right it is superior to the 2009.

Difficult choice.....very difficult.....it's like asking me to choose between a 1989 Krug Clos du Mesnil and a bottle of Tizer.....

.....oh, wait.....

"Star Trek III", of course. Why are we even discussing this?

To aggravate those of us who enjoy modern film music

I haven't voted because I've never heard Search for Spock. Don't even know who wrote it (Horner?).