BAFTAs

Richard Penna

Well the noms are out:

CRAZY HEART - T-Bone Burnett, Stephen Bruton

FANTASTIC MR FOX - Alexandre Desplat

SEX & DRUGS & ROCK & ROLL - Chaz Jankel

UP - Michael Giacchino

Do Sex..etc... or Crazy Heart actually have any notable score, or is the academy doing a Full Monty again?

Giacchino should win this. Might actually give the album a full listen.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Guardian liveblog:

"James Cameron's record-breaking 3D epic scoops the gong for "special visual effects". This, presumably, is also known as the No Shit Sherlock award."

Love it.....

Most deserving of the bunch IMO, even if not entirely my style of music.

Unfortunately the BBC doesn't show it live, which also means they're announcing results on the homepage before the ceremony starts. Nice going!

Edit: and we've got a tearfest in the first award. meh. Sound now turned off.

Would like to know though - just how seriously are the BAFTA's taken by the rest of the movie-viewing world?

I guess us Brits are kinda proud of them, but at the same time think it's all a little self-important.

Congratulations to Giacchino!

In fact it is an amazing feat since the movie was released in the summer, and is still remembered, when most nominations are given to recent movies.

I hope he does not suffer the same fate as William's Memoirs of a Geisha.

Waltz is a done deal, and I think that Giacchino is most likely to win. It may just be me, but I sense that the Avatar momentoum has significantly slowed down.

I still don't think Hurt Locker is that great a movie, it's seems episodic and jerky. I had me looking at the clock(well the display on the tv) to often which a tense war drama should not. I do like that it was rather a-political. That served it best. I don't know if the Baftas have ever been a reliable predictor for the Oscars?

I still don't think Hurt Locker is that great a movie, it's seems episodic and jerky.

I don't think it's THAT great, but in specific scenes, it works spectacularly well. And the through-line of the main character worked for me- upon a second viewing, James seemed like an extremely compelling main character. I didn't care for some fo the digressions, and at times it hits things a bit too strongly...but it's quite a good movie. I can live with the acclaim it's getting.

I don't know if the Baftas have ever been a reliable predictor for the Oscars?

Not at all. Appropriatly enough, just about any time they can, they'll give it to a British film, or an American film very British is tone. I'm sure they've diverged from this line since, but the only American film I can recall off-hand taking the big prize is The Usual Suspects, strangely, and even that was shared with Sense and Sensibility.