Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

An orchestral score? Is Zimmer coming back in from the cold?

I'm not sure the mainstream audience recognizes what "lush" and "orchestral" mean anymore. I'm sure piano + light strings is about as lush as the mainstream expects these days.

Having said that, I genuinely think this score is going to be something different for Zimmer. The first teaser music sounded promising. And I look foward to hearing what he's going to do with the organ.

I need to hear that score sometime. All this organ talk has got me intrigued

It's a great score, in movie and on album. Just needs to be put in roughly chronological order.

My favorite cues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj0q61lEcoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYayy2vwkxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UevpqvKxoPI

I like it, too. But not a fan of the synthy sentimental stuff (mostly towards the end of the album). Not because of the material as written, but it just sounds cheap as recorded. However, A Heart Beats in Space and Where? are absolute classics. S-F music at its best.

Karol

I like it, too. But not a fan of the synthy sentimental stuff (mostly towards the end of the album). Not because of the material as written, but it just sounds cheap as recorded. However, A Heart Beats in Space and Where? are absolute classics. S-F music at its best.

Karol

I think the cue you're talking about (not sure what it's called since I renamed most of them with less sappy titles) with the prominent synth melody wasn't even used in the film but would have underscored Jim watching the recording of his wife. The opening might have been left in actually. It is a tad on the cheap-sounding side.

The build-up and climax in Where? is one of the best I've ever heard. And it's even a decently recorded score, despite the presence of a certain infamous engineer. ;)

Yes! Where? is brilliant, although the trumpets seems to be suffering just a bit with those very demanding notes. On the film it doesn't repeat twice like in the album, and despite its flaws I do think the ending is brilliant. Wish they included the music up to "The End" plaque; and the film version of A Heart Beats in Space is just lovely, with the baroque trumpet coming earlier than in the album. It would have been nice to have both versions on the album, the original for the opening and the end credits as a reprise for the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyWp7NGb-Js

The score as a whole seems to have temp-tracked to hell with previous Morricone's scores. The Mission, The Thing and Casualties of War come to mind when listening to it. And it also seems to have been tracked with every space score that came before it, particularly Penderecki in a lot of instances. But when it's good, it's brilliant. All the Friends is a lovely cue, and I quite enjoy A Wife Lost despite the synth voice. Some of the synth choices stick like a sore thumb but I guess Morricone was trying different stuff. If he had gone for an acoustic oboe and an actual female voice I have the feeling if would have ended up sounding even more like some his previous works. Sacrifice of a Hero is an interesting cue, I do especially enjoy that Ich Bin Der Welt quote about 7 minutes into the cue, don't know if it was intentional or not but it's still absolutely lovely string writing.

The only cue that I found out of place is An Unexpected Surprise which sounds too much like Herrmann, which I imagine was something De Palma asked for. But still, great score and quite an enjoyable movie, despite being too stupid for its own good. Camp at its best.

Oh cool, thanks for sharing! Love these DGA talks, I just watched their Coppola retrospective from 2011 the other night, actually (with Paul Thomas Anderson, Catherine Hardwicke, and David O. Russell interviewing Coppola.)

Incidentally, he mentioned Lucas toward the end of it, saying: "When you make a film, you just learn so much about it, and if it's personal, it means you're going to learn also about yourself. Then I had the interesting accident of making The Godfather which totally changed my life and put me in a position I never imagined I was really gonna be in, but then little by little, I wasn't writing those personal films and I had always hoped that if I could make one big success and have all this money, then I could just spend that money making films, like *George* always tells me he's gonna do. George Lucas is a very interesting experimental filmmaker and he's gonna shock everybody because he's got the dough. He's just gonna go off and make a film someday. He has enormous talent. Making big movies that do what they do is one thing, but he has a very exotic side of him which I would love to see. He promises me he's going to do it and I believe him."

Still waiting for that.

The build-up and climax in Where? is one of the best I've ever heard. And it's even a decently recorded score, despite the presence of a certain infamous engineer. ;)

Speaking of organ (or organ-like sounds) I really like this recent cue from Danny Elfman.

Karol

Nice Karol, I haven't heard that one before.

According to whoever runs the Zimmer website (some RCP person), the next trailer will not feature original music. I am hoping whatever stock music they use is miraculously good enough.

Well, the ACTUAL trailer was magnificent even in, ahem, unofficial quality.

This is the music used (second half), and it works well.

Never heard that score, maybe it's time.

It's a very good score. A more intelligent handling of the Zimmer/Batman/blockbuster ostinati style. Very harsh at times, lots of electronics, but all handled with a fine sense of direction and style. And the emotional parts can really soar.

Well, the ACTUAL trailer was magnificent even in, ahem, unofficial quality.

This is the music used (second half), and it works well.

Never heard that score, maybe it's time.

Very Thomas Newmanish chord progression.

Take that trash talk and put it where it belongs!!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24411

;)

But in all seriousness, you should give him some credit. You just haven't checked out his good scores; Jane Eyre, Agora, Brothers Grimm, etc. He's one of my favourites of the recent batch of contemporary film composers.

Curious, did you like Atonement, or is that in your "Euro-lite" category too?

Take that trash talk and put it where it belongs!!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24411

Hoisted by my own petard!

Curious, did you like Atonement, or is that in your "Euro-lite" category too?

It's on the border. Jane Eyre was enjoyable.

Second trailer is a big step up. It certainly looks beautiful and it's refreshing to see Nolan step out of his comfort zone in terms of more VFX shots. Some of the outer space shots look inspired from Gravity, but I think that's unintentional.

It just doesn't scream 'wanna see' right now.

First trailer (that early teaser) was better. It was intriguing because it showed nothing, the film still could've been anything. What I saw now doesn't tempt me at all.

I maintain "We ran out of food" + "nothing in the Solar System can help us" + "the world doesn't need any more engineers" is a combination of ideas that doesn't actually hold up at all in my mind.

Most of the trailer is from the beginning of the film. It would make me believe most of it is about corn fields. Which, as far as I know, it isn't.

I maintain "We ran out of food" + "nothing in the Solar System can help us" + "the world doesn't need any more engineers" is a combination of ideas that doesn't actually hold up at all in my mind.

Hm. I'd be happy to explain away why it holds up, if you'd like.

It just doesn't scream 'wanna see' right now.

Meh ..

6DT3n0X.gif

Hm. I'd be happy to explain away why it holds up, if you'd like.

If it does, I'm torn between letting you explain or waiting for the film :)