The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

So ... now that Joss Whedon has directed one if not THE most successfull movie ever made, do you think he will return to TV and perhaps make another science fiction series? Or will he forever be Marvel's dog? (The Avengers 2, 3, 4 and Hulk vs. Thor and Thor: Life in Valhalla, et cetera)

Alex - wondering if he's the first one who poses this question

Problem is, when a Cameron stubbornly nurtures a project for 10 years and then reaps the benefits, he becomes more independent - if a Whedon happens to have success with the xth dumb-comic-heroes franchise, he's not gotten any more powerful than he was before. He can churn out more formula films with big budgets and that's it.

So ... now that Joss Whedon has directed one if not THE most successfull movies ever made, do you think he will return to TV and perhaps make another science fiction series? Or will he forever be Marvel's dog? (The Avengers 2, 3, 4 and Hulk vs. Thor and Thor: Life in Valhalla, et cetera)

Alex - wondering if he's the first one who poses this question

The first thing I thought of when this thing turned into an unstoppable behemoth was... Firefly.

Which Whedon maintains he's not finished with. But I hold little hope. Still, I can but dream.

But the cast of Firefly ain't that young anymore. I guess this is no problem for the male characters but the women ... Well, I guess Whedon could make a few modifications as to the crew of the Serenity.

Alex - who can get away with talk like that since JWfan is a man's world.

Plus it's a hard truth anyway.

I'd quite happy for the original cast to return. It wouldn't be right without them and besides, they're hardly Joan Rivers lookalikes.

Just start season 2 with a "10 years later" mention at the beginning, and we're good to go!

89623435-morena-baccarin.jpg

jewel-staite.jpg

gina-torres-visits-the-gifting-services-held_3580468.jpg

summer-glau-the-cape-tca-09.jpg

Hang on, where's the problem?

Or ... don't be a Lucas and create something new.

You do NOT sound like a fan of Firefly to me!

Well he first has to release his Shakespeare film and then we'll see.

We know the following:

a)He said he would like to do a Hulk film. Marvel is hesitant to do anothr Hulk film.

b)He's hesitant to make another Avengers film.

c)He's not done with Firefly, whether that means film, TV series or comic books is unclear.

d)He wants to make a Dr Horrible sequel.

What will actually happen? I dunno.

a)He said he would like to do a Hulk film. Marvel is hesitant to do anothr Hulk film.

c)He's not done with Firefly, whether that means film, TV series or comic books is unclear.

If that's all Whedon can come up with then I prefer he would do another season of Firefly.

If Quint's pics of the chicks are recently made, then they are welcome to come aboard.

Making a new season of Firefly is basically impossible, with Nathan Fillion committed to making 24 episodes of Castle a year for ABC for the next god knows how many years

I'm not sure about another season of Firefly. Would that be set after the finale? Taking the comics into account or not? Complicated.

As for what Whedon can come up, we don't know. Nobody expected him to suddenly shoot Much Ado About Nothing in twelve days.

Making a new season of Firefly is basically impossible, with Nathan Fillion committed to making 24 episodes of Castle a year for CBS for the next god knows how many years

Surely he isn't attached to Castle for the next 3 years? Aren't the contracts usually on a year basis?

Making a new season of Firefly is basically impossible, with Nathan Fillion committed to making 24 episodes of Castle a year for CBS for the next god knows how many years

Surely he isn't attached to Castle for the next 3 years? Aren't the contracts usually on a year basis?

I don't see how that's relevant. Surely he'd rather make millions doing a season of Castle then make nothing for doing 13 episodes of Firefly.

No, a film is too risky. I couldn't really relate to Serenity untill I watched the whole series. Now I know it's a film made for the fans who followed the series. I'm surprised that this film even exists! No studio will agree to yet another such a film, Whedon or not.

Surely he'd rather make millions doing a season of Castle then make nothing for doing 13 episodes of Firefly.

Yep, but if it's all about money then there's not even going to be a second season of Firefly.

I don't think the success of The Avengers is reason for any studio to greenlight anything Firefly related.

How many people worldwide went to see The Avengers because they're fans of Joss Whedon? Besides the twelve Firefly/Serenity fans in the world?

the only thing memorable about Firefly is this brilliant quote from Big Bang Theory.

Sheldon: Roommates agree that Friday nights shall be reserved for watching Joss Whedon's brilliant new series, "Firefly."

Leonard: Does that really need to be in the agreement?

Sheldon: Might as well settle it now; it's going to be on for years.

Exactly.

But he could do a totally new show ...." NBC proudly presents ... From the director of The Avengers ... The Illumination!!!!! Forget Star Trek, V or Battlestar Galactica ... [reverb]The Illumination[/reverb] is where it's at!"

Alex

Those pics of the female cast are recent, yes. It actually took a bit of time to source them.

But yeah, Firefly is never gonna be revived.

But I can still dream, you pessimistic bastards!

ABC is producing and airing the show, not CBS. And whenever an actor signs on for a TV series, they're locked in for a potential seven seasons if the show is lucky to have longevity (and with each new season, the stars can renegotiate for a better payday). And for network TV, the number of episodes a season has doesn't really matter -- it can range from 10 episodes to 24, depending on what the network wants.

But that won't stop Fillion from being able to do a Serenity sequel during his hiatus, if Joss wants to return to the universe. I think Whedon has enough clout to make a Serenity sequel happen now (Universal would have to renegotiate with Fox to get the film rights), get Goners moving at Universal, or get a major studio to back his Bellweather Films productions.

Or Whedon can move to a TV network that'll let him do his thing. I think he can work wonders at a cable network like FX, Showtime, or even HBO.

Well he first has to release his Shakespeare film and then we'll see.

We know the following:

From the way he phrased it, he doesn't want to rush into another Avengers film. Which considering how big it was for him (and consumed two years of his life), not surprising. Marvel should let him take a break for a year, let him do his own thing, and then approach him again. And they have an option on him to direct Avengers 2, as well.

Thanks Matt C, that was quite informative.

But we've been ignoring Dollhouse. Isn't that a Whedon SF show? I heard it isn't that good. Is it because Whedon was wing-clipped?

ABC is producing and airing the show, not CBS. And whenever an actor signs on for a TV series, they're locked in for a potential seven seasons if the show is lucky to have longevity (and with each new season, the stars can renegotiate for a better payday). And for network TV, the number of episodes a season has doesn't really matter -- it can range from 10 episodes to 24, depending on what the network wants.

But that won't stop Fillion from being able to do a Serenity sequel during his hiatus, if Joss wants to return to the universe. I think Whedon has enough clout to make a Serenity sequel happen now (Universal would have to renegotiate with Fox to get the film rights), get Goners moving at Universal, or get a major studio to back his Bellweather Films productions.

Or Whedon can move to a TV network that'll let him do his thing. I think he can work wonders at a cable network like FX, Showtime, or even HBO.

I understand how TV works - and sorry I accidentally typed the wrong network - and I do agree that Fillion could easily fit in a sequel movie during the hiatus of Castle. I was just saying there's no way he'll be able to do a season of Castle and a season of ANOTHER tv show at the same time. Just doesn't happen (when you're the star of both series).

But we've been ignoring Dollhouse. Isn't that a Whedon SF show? I heard it isn't that good. Is it because Whedon was wing-clipped?

Dollhouse is, easily, the best thing Whedon's ever done. (Disclaimer: I've never seen Buffy or Angel, only Firefly, Dollhouse, Serenity, Avengers). As a huge fan of Carnivale, Battlestar Galactica, and LOST, I found Dollhouse to fit right into that wheelhouse - smart storytelling with a great cast and terrific long, clearly-planned out in advance arc (Well, Carnivale and Dollhouse being more on the planned-out-in-advance side than BSG and LOST). Can't recommend it more, especially if you liked those shows.

The only thing wrong with it is, it takes a while to get good! The pilot (the aired one - if you ever rent the blus, don't watch the unaired pilot until after you finish season 1!) isn't great, and neither are the first handful of episodes. In fact, it isn't until episode 6 (SIX!!) that the main storyline FINALLY kicks in - and from that point onward, its simply amazing every week. The first season has a satisfying conclusion, and then the special unaired 13th episode of the 1st season is just incredible!! Season 2 is completely kicked up a notch from Season 1 (in a similar manner to Carnivale 2 compared to Carnivale 1), just being terrific right away.. and then when the present storyline meets up with the future storyline introduced in the aforementioned unaired 13th episode... its just awesome until the satisfying finale.

Great show.

Thanks Matt C, that was quite informative.

I'm not a fan of Dollhouse. I admire the concept and effort Whedon and Eliza Dushku invested in it, but it's not my cup of tea. And even though most of the cast of that show aren't tied down (a la Nathan Fillion and Morena Baccarin locked in for Castle and Homeland), I don't think it would gain traction even if a cable network agreed to give Whedon carte blanche to do whatever.

I'm sure Whedon's phones are ringing off the hook, regardless.

Hmm, people seem to be very devided over Dollhouse. I loved Carnivale but I wasn't a big fan of BG or Lost. It gets a 57/100 on Metacritic and I'm particularly frightened by this comment:

Overcrowded with plotlines, high-tech gimmicks and ambition yet empty of emotional connection and purpose, Dollhouse tries so hard to be so many things it winds up being nothing much at all.

Still, some people call it "unconventional television" and that does sound appealing to me. Might get the DVD if I see it somewhere at an attractive price.

Alex

The movie has grossed over $500M domestically, and is on track to overtake The Dark Knight's $533M domestic number by next Friday. At the rate the film is slowing, I expect it to make over $600M by late June. Simply unreal.

I hope the film's massive success is encouraging the studios to rethink the MV/RC composer route and mandate that the composers "score it 'Avengers' style."

The movie has grossed over $500M domestically, and is on track to overtake The Dark Knight's $533M domestic number by next Friday. At the rate the film is slowing, I expect it to make over $600M by late June. Simply unreal.

I hope the film's massive success is encouraging the studios to rethink the MV/RC composer route and mandate that the composers "score it 'Avengers' style."

They'll probably just ask MV/RC composers to take Silvestri's style and water it down.

Silvestri's style is already watered down.

It can go lower.

Any lower and there will be no water to sink down to.

• 3 months later...