Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

I liked BB all the way through. Although, I have to admit the final episode, while really strong, wasn't as good as all the fifteen that preceded it. The penultimate being pure perfection.

As for Lost, it had its clunky moments, sure.

Karol

But even those clunky moments, which on a full viewing may drag, end up being very watchable as isolated events thanks to the music, acting, scenery, characters and their interactions, etc.

Your clunky moments might not be the same as mine, keep this in mind. ;)

And it's not to say they're not enjoyable, just somewhat redundant sometimes.

But I have to admit Expose episode is very enjoyable, actually.

Karol

But even those clunky moments, which on a full viewing may drag, end up being very watchable as isolated events thanks to the music, acting, scenery, characters and their interactions, etc.

Exactly. Certain episodes didn't advance the overall narrative, but they always added more depth to the already incredible character development.

The scores just got better as the series progressed. The 6th season is a veritable treasure trove of wonderful themes and powerful variations on the established ones. One of my absolutely favourite moments comes from the finale's score, the short but powerful cue Aloha, where Giacchino transforms his somber and often grieving main theme into a beatific and joyous call of fulfillment for Jack's story as he saves the Island. Of course he off-sets this with the eerie and so very much Lost-style lurching variation on the Source theme that let's you know all is not over yet.

Overall the music of the first two or three seasons didn't open to me immediately and it really took watching the series about twice for it to gain its true emotional resonance outside the episodes. I guess the unique sound of the score also took some time to get used to but it really lended the series a style of its own. By the time of the final episode just about every theme Giacchino had penned was quite emotionally charged for me and he kept on bringing in new and even more wonderful themes up until the last minute. Seminal work from him.

The only show I've seen that I can say had no weak episodes or even moments was Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad had quite a few weak and very boring episodes especially in season 2 and 3. The finale was weak too and don't get me started on the story and character assassinations of Ozymandias. Cheap shockers don't always make for good TV. But the majority seemed to have loved it... which leads to a horribly overrated episode

I really like the music of Lost btw. In my opinion Giacchino's masterpiece.

The magical magnet of the first part of Season Five almost killed the show for me.

Did you still hang on until the end of the show?

Hey both obviously have magnety-hooey-kablooie-thingy-swishy-washy-stuff. :lol:

Which reminds me, I should really start watching Breaking Bad. I have not seen a single episode yet.

I was talking about Breaking Bad. I hope I didn't spoil it for you, Koray and Inky.

As for Lost, I think I've said I gave up sometime in the third season. They had found the Others and the Other Person of Interest let the guy from Party of Jennifer Love Hewitt listen to the Red Sox game. Then I gave up.

It's on my list of shows to restart on Netflix, because my girlfriend totally missed it so it'll be kinda new again. But The X-Files is first.

6 seasons was perfect, the problem is that the first 3 seasons are character-heavy and the final 3 seasons are plot-heavy, instead of having a perfect balance of each throughout all 6 seasons.

Season 5 is my favorite of the show. It was a hugely risky thing to do time travel and they pulled it off coherently (as much as is possible anyway) with a high level of resonance on a thematic and character level. Music wise the last season is probably the best.

I was talking about Breaking Bad. I hope I didn't spoil it for you, Koray and Inky.

As for Lost, I think I've said I gave up sometime in the third season. They had found the Others and the Other Person of Interest let the guy from Party of Jennifer Love Hewitt listen to the Red Sox game. Then I gave up.

It's on my list of shows to restart on Netflix, because my girlfriend totally missed it so it'll be kinda new again. But The X-Files is first.

Did you watch the entire X-Files already? Because I've watched the last third of season 9 yesterday. It's such a shame the series was ended in such a hurry apparently, it just doesn't deserve it. If they decided to end the show close to the season end, they could have announced a shorter, final 10th season and do it properly. Everything felt rushed an contrieved, especially how they killed off the Lone Gunman dudes. That was a wierd episode, characters out of left field and a stupid death.

That show had another season in it, easily. They kept the incredible quality of the show up for so long, right until the end, but then it seems they made the worst decisions one could make in the final episodes.

Also, is it just me, or did the series end in a fashion that kept another season open?

As far as LOST is concerned, I don't think there is a needless episode in there.

As far as LOST is concerned, I don't think there is a needless episode in there.

Not even Expose?

You seriously think I memorise episode titles? Once I hit that "Play All" button, I couldn't care less.

Season 5 is my favorite of the show. It was a hugely risky thing to do time travel and they pulled it off coherently (as much as is possible anyway) with a high level of resonance on a thematic and character level. Music wise the last season is probably the best.

Yeah Season 5 might be my favorite as well, all the uneasiness surrounding Locke really makes it for me. "The Incident" gets me every time Sawyer lets go of Juliet.

Good to see other Lost fans here. Do people believe the ending plot was planned from the start or did the writers make it up as they went resulting in a few dead end trails and unexplained contradictions along the way?

First two seasons were fantastic. Third had its moments (expose worst of the show) and last two were deep and exciting but missing the depth and some characters of the first two. Overall very satisfying.

My brother gets G4 here which apparently runs episodes. The first season finale is on now... feels wrong to watch any episode on its own but I don't think I can resist.

Sawyer just told Jack about his run in with Christian. Damn. I love this show.

• 8 months later...

I've been listening to many highlights from the show in the past couple of days. Not all the 12 hours of music commercially available, but large chunks of each season's album. Boy, is this music effective or what? The nods to many classic film composer (from Barry, to Goldsmith, to Herrmann), it's such a treat.

Sorry for the bump, I just felt like it.

Karol

The show does have excellent music and even though the soundtrack releases are extremely generous there is a ton of great music and musical progression left off the albums for the very fact that the show had a huge amount of score. I have to say I find the last season's 4 discs to be the strongest presentation of the music although the 1st season and 4th season have very strong single albums. 2nd season's album is a bit hit and miss in terms of great material and the double disc for season 3 is nice but again leaves some great stuff off the presentation in favour of the surprisingly low key season finale score. 5th season album gets better toward the end but the 6th season albums offer the most emotionally resonant and dramatic material of the whole show. But all in all some momentously great TV music. One of Giacchino's most significant contributions to date I think in terms of whole body of work and complexity and inventiveness.

Season 3 soundtrack album is terribly uneven. I enjoy the first disc immensely, but the second one I never listen to. It is by far the weakest finale score in the series. Season 2 does have a strong start (first 12 tracks or so), but then wanders off into less interesting territory.

Karol

Probably because I was unhealthily deeply invested in the show and so now anything related to it has a very visceral effect on me.

I'll soon be overdue for my fourth viewing....

Probably because I was unhealthily deeply invested in the show and so now anything related to it has a very visceral effect on me.

I'll soon be overdue for my fourth viewing....

I am not perhaps exactly that deeply invested but this was music I had to experience in context a couple of times before something as simple as Life and Death theme or the Main theme would resonate as powerfully as they did and indeed do. But now there is definitely a much deeper emotional connection to the music and there are things like the Source/The Mother Theme or Jacob's Theme or Main Theme or even Ben's Theme (I must be one of the rare people who think his music is extremely tragic) that just send a shiver down my spine and make me emotional when ever I hear them.

Season 3 soundtrack album is terribly uneven. I enjoy the first disc immensely, but the second one I never listen to. It is by far the weakest finale score in the series. Season 2 does have a strong start (first 12 tracks or so), but then wanders off into less interesting territory.

Karol

The first disc of the set is very enjoyable, the second is a bit bogged down by finale material that might not have enough engaging material to fill the disc. As blasphemous as it sounds I wish they had included more music from the rest of the episodes from the season instead.

It is. I like how Giacchino basically develops it from (what I believe to be) a piece of incidental suspense music from the end of season 2. And then starts to use it as a motif in following season. Then adding a more emotional tone. But not until the finale does the theme completely severe its ties with those uneasy harmonies.

Karol