Michael Giacchino's LOST (2004-2010) - live concert tour in 2024

Jay

As always I'm a bit behind, but I've received the Lost Season 5 CD, and I must say it's slightly disappointing. It really suffers from the exclusion of some particular highlights, like the full finale prologue music, and the lack of Miles's themes in his episode, which were, besides Jacob's theme, the only things I really remembered from the season. There's also too much of the typical Lost generic action music again.

That said, there is excellent music to be found as well. It's short, but I particularly like that piano moment in Jacob's Stabber: it's simple but really gives you the feeling of a deeper mythology yet to be discovered and the importance of the moment. Brilliant.

The most engaging part for me on Lost 5 is "The Incident", the rousing buildup of Juliet's theme culminating in a dramatic statement of "Life and Death" gets me every time. Also the parts of the score with the submarine theme are pretty good. I agree that especially the middle of the CD has some unfortunate stretches of less engaging material, but the final cues always make up for it.

I actually like the the Dharma vs. Lostaways cue very much. One of the strongest action pieces in the series.

Karol

Yes! The opening notes are so strong and decisive. It gives me goosebumps.

A nice little observation while listening to the Last Episodes set: On disc 1 track 19 Jack's Cup Runneth Over begins with a harp figure that is actually a reference to Hurley's quirky theme as he says "I'm just glad it's not me.". This same harp line is reprised on disc 2 track 18 Hurley's Coronation. A nice small touch connecting the scenes. I am sure Giacchino did not have an inkling at the time of What They Died For that Hurley would be the guardian of the Island but he pulled a nice musical parallel here all the same. :)

Here is a lenghty and exhaustive Filmtracks review of all Lost albums. And it's a very kind review, one might add. And I agree on pretty much all accounts. Maybe with the exception of the Season 2 album, which I really enjoy. All at least first 14 tracks.

Karol

So far I only have the season six albums, but I'll be working my way through all of them.

Season one is next in line.

Important to the album's presentation is the Revelation motif, a stinger consisting of a trombone glissando that closes out "Locke'd Out Again" and "Life and Death" consecutively, as well as "Oceanic 815" at the end of the product. It's a basically effective but truly obnoxious tool of suspense that frankly ruins some of the album's best dramatic music.

:) Yeah, those trombones can get on the nerves at times.

Interestingly, I disagree with the majority of the small-scale opinions in that review - for instance, the S4 soundtrack is one of my least favorites - but I certainly agree with their overall conclusion.

I surprisingly agree with Clemmensen on many points. For casual soundtrack fan the Lost albums do not offer a very readily digestable content as they contain only a fragment of all the musical material from the series and thus offer more of a collection of individual setpiece moments than an overarcing musical story and development. Lost music is also quite context dependant as I have found that some of the music becomes much more potent when you know what it is underscoring and has a whole different level of meaning after that.

If you know the story intimately this music will certainly appeal to you and even the simplest constructs can be very emotional but to a person who is just buying an album with no knowledge of the series it will be a tough listening experience.

Season 4 and 6 are most outwardly expressive albums and provide a strong listening experiece with a beginning, middle and an ending. Season 6 by the virtue of 4 whole discs of music, season 4 because of good track selection. Season 6 might be even too much for a casual fan to absord even though it is the most accessible and dramatic of all the seasons.

For a fan of the show all the albums have their blessings and curses. Mostly I wish more wonderful musical moments from different seasons could have been included. I miss the introduction of the 1st Travelling theme (heard on disc 1 track 26 of the Season 3 soundtrack) in the 1st Season and it's appearances in the 2nd Season and some other smaller motifs like Danielle's skittery theme.

Yeah, Rousseau has a little theme of her own that is sort of...well, skittery. :) I'm having trouble thinking of any instances in the albums, but it's in the show, at least. The first time you hear it is when Sayid finds the wire on the beach in "Solitary", before the character is even properly introduced.

[...] and some other smaller motifs like Danielle's skittery theme.

What's this ? Never heard of that one.

That was just one example of the missing motifs from the 1st Season soundtrack. It can be heard on Season 5 soundtrack on track 12 Alex in Chains just at the beginning. A nervous little motif indeed.

I keep reading elsewhere that "LA X"/"Paralellocam" is a variation on "Life And Death"/Oceanic 6 theme. I honestly cannot hear it. Perhaps somebody could draw my attention to a certain part where this is heard? :S

That theme shares the same chord progression with "Life and Death" - a bit of foreshadowing that makes me wonder if Darlton told Giacchino how the season would end when he was scoring "LA X." As for the O6 theme, it's more just that they're very, very stylistically similar. He uses a rhythmic/melodic pattern that's used in the O6 theme as well as Locke's theme - the emotional one, not "Crocodile Locke." It's a pattern Giacchino apparently really liked to use in LOST, to the point where I actually got a little tired of it. When I heard the O6 theme for the first time, it was kind of like, Oh, not this again. Then I eventually came to love it. Same thing happened with the new theme in "LA X."

I always enjoyed how Giacchino build themes for other themes. It's the kind of Howard Shore approrach, if you will.

Like Hurley's Friendship theme being developed from part of the raft theme or Jack/Locke sideways theme being developed from both Jack's and Locke's themes. Very nice touches.

Karol

That theme shares the same chord progression with "Life and Death" - a bit of foreshadowing that makes me wonder if Darlton told Giacchino how the season would end when he was scoring "LA X." As for the O6 theme, it's more just that they're very, very stylistically similar. He uses a rhythmic/melodic pattern that's used in the O6 theme as well as Locke's theme - the emotional one, not "Crocodile Locke." It's a pattern Giacchino apparently really liked to use in LOST, to the point where I actually got a little tired of it. When I heard the O6 theme for the first time, it was kind of like, Oh, not this again. Then I eventually came to love it. Same thing happened with the new theme in "LA X."

I think I understand. Thanks.

As for the O6 theme, I found it so generic in my initial watch through of the show that I didn't distinguish it as different from Life and Death in my initial quick listen to the albums. I didn't realize it was its own theme until watching the finale(keep in mind, I watched the finale maybe 2-3 days after watching "There's No Place Like Home", so I may not have had time to process anyways). At that point, I realized it was different and it was my favorite theme... Until I heard "LA X" on the album. Such a shame it is only heard 3 times in the show :)

The episode title LA X is a hint that we're watching some form of an alternate reality.

Ironically, according to the CD back cover and the Varèse website, track five on the season six album is in fact called LAX (sans space).

What the hell does the space in "LA X" actually mean? Just realized that I never actually thought about it. Does the "X" mean crossed out as in dead or something?

That would be two Xs. Instead of eyes, I mean. :)

Karol

the side ways world was referred to as the X world. So we saw Jack X and Rose X on Oceanic 815 X land in LA X.

Apparently, there is an iTunes bonus track for the Lost: The Last Episodes set, namely "Moving On" (Alternate with ukulele). Having bought the expensive official album, I feel kind of ripped off, especially since it's not available at my local iTunes. (It's only one buck in the US, though, you don't need to buy the entire album again as far as I can tell.)

Wait, isn't The Last Episodes supposed to be limited to 5,000 copies? Now there's unlimited digital copies? Bastards!

The ukulele doesn't add anything worthwhile to the track. I like the version without it much more. And the piece itself is almost the same as the one both Last Season albums. After a quick listen the ukulele in the section with Hurley's theme and the harp ending playing the Oceanic 6 theme are different.

I've been wondering where the track "Credit Where Credit Is Due" from LOST gets it's title.

I re-watched that part of the pilot and it's because it plays over the opening credits, right?

Lostpedia wasn't helpful.

Is the Ukulele version the film version, or is the album version the film version?

Did I mention I couldn't get the original AAC file for this new alternate version at my local iTunes...? :lol:

Is the Ukulele version the film version, or is the album version the film version?

Did I mention I couldn't get the original AAC file for this new alternate version at my local iTunes...? :lol:

The ukulele version is not the film version. As far as I can tell the one on the both Last Season albums is. Or I guess it could be called the intended version Giacchino wrote. I seem to remember someone saying that there was a slight edit or changing of the last harp note or something in the version we hear in the show. ;)

I seem to remember someone saying that there was a slight edit or changing of the last harp note or something in the version we hear in the show. ;)

C'est moi!

I am coming to really dislike the Ukulele. The Hurley's theme was inapporpriate to begin with and only served aesthetics, so why go all out with the Ukulele? That only makes it seem more inappropriate.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This cue is not on the disc, but the theme is well represented on the Season 5 CD (Track 9 Le Fleur). I think it makes up for it. :)

Karol