J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

First Nolan chooses Snyder, now Abrams chooses Larry Fong. It seems that the 'film gods' have better taste than their fanboys. :)

Fong also worked on the first season of Lost. So Abrahms so already worked with him. As for the whole kiddie film, this definitely ain't going to be The Goonies 2.0

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm new around these parts but for years I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. This discussion led me to make a YouTube clip entitled "Why the world needs Super 8". I'm one who is very excited about the movie and hope it recaptures the spirit of the time period it's based upon.

Here's the link

I had some harsh complaints and decided to address them to clear up any confusion. So now i've adjust my vision to appeal to the masses! Thus i've become the very thing that I hate about Hollywood today. Such is life ! Here's the new link!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it me or is the buzz really down for this movie? I hope it isn't overlooked in favor of bigger unoriginal franchises. For me this movie couldn't have come at a better time, when Hollywood is overloaded with sequels, prequels, squeakuels and such we get a film that attempts to remind us of one of the best times in modern cinema IMHO ! I hope it's great.

I agree its not really being hyped much, she hadn't even heard of it when we were talking about summer movies yesterday

It sounds like there's some score in there, but I can't tell if it's original or just trailer music.

I need to get home and listen on my laptop with head phones. My work PC has very poor speakers.

:up: I've only seen the trailer one time, haven't watched the clips. I've seen the poster too, of course

Well, in the Williams-ism thread. We already established that the techniques John Williams uses is not really the key to why he's such a great composer.

It's the same thing for Spielberg. You can duplicate the way he lights a scene, how she shoots it, how he composites his scenes, the subject matter that he chooses, yet what you will end up with is NOT a Spielberg film. It's just a copy, a fake, at best a piece of flattery.

And I can't believe how people are being suckered into this one!

I see it mainly as a J.J. Abrams film so I don't have that problem. Same with the score.

When John Williams paid hommage to other composers, it was still John Williams.

Well, in the Williams-ism thread. We already established that the techniques John Williams uses is not really the key to why he's such a great composer.

It's the same thing for Spielberg. You can duplicate the way he lights a scene, how she shoots it, how he composites his scenes, the subject matter that he chooses, yet what you will end up with is NOT a Spielberg film. It's just a copy, a fake, at best a piece of flattery.

And I can't believe how people are being suckered into this one!

Interesting. I didn't know Spielberg used lens flares like that.

I'm reading this as a JJ Abrams film, with a strong Spielberg influence/homage.

I'll judge Giacchino's score when I hear it.

When John Williams paid hommage to other composers, it was still John Williams.

But this will probably be Gia, paying homage to 70's / 80's John Williams (again).

And that's a whole different thing!

I really fail to get in which way is different to John Williams paying hommage to his favourite composers from a different era.

Actually, we established that the techniques he uses are the most concrete way to analyze why he's such a great composer, and that loosey-goosey speculations are more likely to kill such a thread than provide any real answers. :P

But if you've found the key to why he's such a great composer, I'm still waiting for you to share it!

I agree.

But it's absolutely possible to isolate specific elements that are effective, elements that Williams has gleaned from studying the work of countless other composers and through his own experimentation and inspiration. Because without all those elements, "the key" would sound very different.

Watch Close Encounters. It is full of lens flares.

That was specifically for the VFX of the UFOs, not from tons of other light sources (except a cars headlights at night in one scene, specifically to look like the UFO and confuse the audience). It is also not a general habit of Spielberg, but based on Star Trek (2009), is a well-known part of the visual language of JJ Abrams.

Watch Close Encounters. It is full of lens flares.

Which is actually the doing of Douglas Trumbull and it's also the reason why we see lens flares in Blade Runner.

Actually, we established that the techniques he uses are the most concrete way to analyze why he's such a great composer, and that loosey-goosey speculations are more likely to kill such a thread than provide any real answers. :P

But if you've found the key to why he's such a great composer, I'm still waiting for you to share it!

But, the second part of the question was, what makes him special? The question itself takes us into the speculative domain because the answer will always be subjective. Every composer has its own mannerisms and favorite techniques but I don't think it explains the soul behind the music. You or I may copy the his techniques but that doesn't make us 'special'.

Alex

I saw the trailer attached to Thor the other day. I had not been following this thread and didn't know this movie even existed. When I heard the first few notes at the beginning of the trailer, I thought it was Empire of the Sun. Then it kind of trailed off to another melody. Anyone know what that music was? Original score or temp track?

Anyway, I'm very interested in seeing this thing. Abrams could have done Transformers 17 or whatever - I'm glad he's attempting a little taste of the olden days instead. If it works, we should count ourselves lucky. If it doesn't, we're no worse off than we would have been without this movie.

Well then Empire of the Sun sounds a bit like Cocoon to me. I'll have to go listen to more Cocoon to see if it was just a trick of the mind.

Well then Empire of the Sun sounds a bit like Cocoon to me. I'll have to go listen to more Cocoon to see if it was just a trick of the mind.

Those 2 scores are completely different from each other.

Those 2 scores are completely different from each other.

And so are the two trailers musically :P