J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Super 8...ehh. Barely a glimpse and not enough to make me want to see it aside from one magical credit.

One of the best teasers I'll ever see is Star Wars Episode II. The breathing one. Whoever cut that thing together should win Oscars.

Wow, they used Cocoon in the teaser. Nice use of music instead of the typical RC crap that pollute most trailers these days. However, judging by the images the music was wrong for the trailer. But it looks like a kick ass Giacchino score might come from this.

But it looks like a kick ass Giacchino score might come from this.

Indeed. And afterward for some reason all I could think was "Abrams' CE3K". Really reminded me of that for some reason.

Overall I saw 3 trailers for movies I'm looking forward to: Cowboys and Aliens, Super 8, and Pirates 4. Thor and Captain America also looked better than expected to me. The less said about Transformers 3 the better.

I got a headache just listening to the noise coming from the Trailer. I couldn't even tell which transformers were in the trailer or who was fighting who.

I dug the musical selection and a couple of shots when I saw it during the Super Bowl, but after revisiting the Super 8 trailer online, I'm quite excited. Especially taking a closer look at several shots, I can really see that late '70s/early '80s influence on the look of the film. Especially some of the night shots--I mean, look at the shot of the cars for sale, or just about any other shot following that. I love it. Definitely looking forward to it.

I love everything in the Super 8 spot except the fake train crash.

Agreed. When the teaser came out and they said they hadn't shot anything, I wondered if the teaser footage was specifically for that. Now it looks like it'll be a part of the film, although I do kind of wonder. So much of the new footage (sparse though it may be) seems so in line with the intentions Abrams has been talking about, that it makes the CG crash stick out all the more. I had hoped that instead there might be something either shot practically, or at least shot in a manner that looks like it COULD be done practically, even if it was financially/logistically unfeasible. Hmph...

I was hesitant about Super 8, but not anymore. Looks Fantastic.

If JJ Abrams can really deliver a true homage to Spielberg's 1980s alien flicks, then this should be fun stuff indeed. Even the photography is Allen Daviau/Dean Cundey-esque.

Brilliant use of Horner's Cocoon score. Paramount should use it for the full trailer if they can.

I love everything in the Super 8 spot except the fake train crash.

Agreed. When the teaser came out and they said they hadn't shot anything, I wondered if the teaser footage was specifically for that. Now it looks like it'll be a part of the film, although I do kind of wonder. So much of the new footage (sparse though it may be) seems so in line with the intentions Abrams has been talking about, that it makes the CG crash stick out all the more. I had hoped that instead there might be something either shot practically, or at least shot in a manner that looks like it COULD be done practically, even if it was financially/logistically unfeasible. Hmph...

I want to think that they used shots from the teaser to make it longer and attract a larger crowd without actually revealing anything significant.

Well at least long ago we would have gotten good to great scores for those films that would have made up for their possible suckiness.

Our Steve is becoming one of those old-time pop stars (you know the sort: Santana; Tom Jones; Madonna) who feel the need to stay young by collaborating with younger artists (Jackson; Abrams). What next; a Lucas/Tarantino partnership, or - perish the whole f***ing thought! - Scorsese/Bay, or Lynch/Nolan? The mind does cartwheels...while the stomach churns. ;)

Great read. I like everything I'm seeing.

I love Abrams' old-fashioned approach to trying to keep most everything about the movie secret until it's actually out, or close to. Very hard to do this day and age. And for my money the names Spielberg and JJ Abrams should be just as good marketing as any superhero or franchise name.

The teaser trailer for this movie really sucks. It starts out looking like Roy's first encounter scene, then ridiculous stereotypical Michael Bay-looking CGI explosion. I assume the movie is intended for 6 year-olds as a result.

Do we know if that shot is actually the finished shot? There might still be some polishing to do before the final version of the movie is shown.

The thing is, I'd imagine the CGI route might have been deemed cheaper, or provide greater control over the shot.

Three words:

I . . . cannot . . . wait.

Great use of the Cocoon theme, brilliantly reminiscent shots of CE3K (the used cars coming to life, the crowded station), and just the whole 70's "vibe" Spielberg was so good at in Jaws, CE3K, and the like.

I love Abrams' old-fashioned approach to trying to keep most everything about the movie secret until it's actually out, or close to. Very hard to do this day and age.

Absolutely. That's as much a reminder of that day and age as the wardrobe choices in the teaser. There used to be a time when people went to a movie to find out what it was about.

And for my money the names Spielberg and JJ Abrams should be just as good marketing as any superhero or franchise name.

Ditto on that one, too. The more I see of Abrams (and read of him in articles like the excellent one Mark posted), the more impressed I become with his instincts. A Spielberg-produced movie in the right hands has a chance to be magical (i.e., Poltergeist). In the wrong hands, it becomes just another suckfest, like the third installment of a film series that also had a teaser during yesterday's game . . . one which showed us NOTHING--not one single, blessed thing--to convince us it's going to offer us anything different than the first two suckfests did.

That's going to be the real train wreck this summer. . . .

Our Steve is becoming one of those old-time pop stars (you know the sort: Santana; Tom Jones; Madonna) who feel the need to stay young by collaborating with younger artists (Jackson; Abrams). What next; a Lucas/Tarantino partnership, or - perish the whole f***ing thought! - Scorsese/Bay, or Lynch/Nolan? The mind does cartwheels...while the stomach churns. ;)

Actually, that sort of thing is already happening elsewhere as well. Another (great) trailer from yesterday's game is a movie produced by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, directed by John Favreau, and executive produced by--there it is again--Steven Spielberg. If there's one movie I'm almost as excited about as Super 8, it's definitely Cowboys and Aliens. (Great concept. Why the hell did no one think of it earlier than now. . . ?)

- Uni

Thanks for you post Uni, a great read as always

Finally saw the superbowl spot, looks good! Almost don't want to watch any future commercials/trailers that come out!

Even if CGI is good, you still know it's CGI. So as long as it's not horrendously bad like a syfy channel original film, I'm fine.

Lies.

Go watch Forrest Gump. A surprisingly effects heavy movie and one of ILM's master works, that in my mind rivals Star Wars.

And the movie Contact has bar none my favorite work of not only CGI but all around special/visual effects...ever. Nothing even comes close:

*Chills*

Don't forget about the escape from the city scene from WOTW. I never noticed the effects until I realized there is no way they could shoot this kind of a thing. And it's a green screen shot!

Karol

I never noticed the effects until I realized there is no way they could shoot this kind of a thing.

Which would take about a nanosecond for the average person.

@blumenkohl: that mirror scene is indeed a very nice trick. Is that Contact with Jodie Foster? I don't remember that scene.

Alex

I never noticed the effects until I realized there is no way they could shoot this kind of a thing.

Which would take about a nanosecond for the average person.

@blumenkohl: that mirror scene is indeed a very nice trick. Is that Contact with Jodie Foster? I don't remember that scene.

Alex

The mirror shot is part of the scene where the girl's dad dies. The average person would have remembered that in a nanosecond...

The mirror shot is part of the scene where the girl's dad dies. The average person would have remembered that in a nanosecond...

Sure, but I didn't like Contact so I guess I'm not the average person. That mirror shot is pretty good though.

Even if CGI is good, you still know it's CGI. So as long as it's not horrendously bad like a syfy channel original film, I'm fine.

Lies.

Go watch Forrest Gump. A surprisingly effects heavy movie and one of ILM's master works, that in my mind rivals Star Wars.

And the movie Contact has bar none my favorite work of not only CGI but all around special/visual effects...ever. Nothing even comes close:

*Chills*

Zemeckis used to be a pioneer in special effects. Now he's just crap. I agree that there is such a thing as convincing CGI, there are several films that do it well. Nolan is the only current filmmaker I know of that uses a seamless blend of CGI and models. But when it comes to something like a train flying off the tracks in a ball of flame, there's no convincing way to show that with computer effects. Nolan understands that, hence the miniatures.

But when it comes to something like a train flying off the tracks in a ball of flame, there's no convincing way to show that with computer effects. Nolan understands that, hence the miniatures.

Sure there is. The problem with the shot isn't that it's computer generated. It's that whoever was working on it, or the directors, threw the camera in a place where it physically couldn't be in the real world.

So it's a question of, do we use our amazing new medium to render things realistically or use it to be artistic. Unfortunately it's the latter.