Not Daniel Dae Kim...he wasn't fluent at all in Korean, and according to people who actually speak Korean, that fact is pretty obvious.

Well he still had basic knowledge of the language, even though he admits he was a bit rusty in the beginning and had to brush up.

It is very noticeable to the native speakers whose languages are presented in the show that they are not exactly correct. E.g. I have heard that the Spanish sounds like soap opera delivery to the native speakers, and the French is Canadian French which people in France spot easily etc. The point is that the actors were comfortable with the language they had to perform in. For reality's sake Latin would have been nice in Across the Sea, but the delivery would have been (and was) awful in that language and I imagine the actors would have struggled with that through the episode and it would have translated into bad acting as well. I did not see the problem with changing into English in the middle of a conversation. Just another dramatic trick.

I feel like Hurley and Ben are just being con artists like Mother, trying to get Walt to take over their responsibility.

I felt the same way. I didn't like that aspect of things. Before watching New Man In Charge, I envisioned Hurley living on the island for hundreds of years and the protector, but based on New Man In Charge it seems like he wants Walt to replace him only a few months or years later

So "The New Man in Charge" is only on the complete box set? If so, that's incredibly lame. But I guess it's fine...that's one less reason for me to be tempted to buy the S6 Blu-ray set.

No No No No, it's on the normal Season 6 box set. The only thing extra the "Complete Collection" has is some board games, other junk, and a bonus disc. However, you can get the exact same bonus disc by simply buying the Season 6 set at Best Buy.

Judging from the way the cork looked, with the hieroglyphics, it was built by the Egyptians which would have predated the arrival of Jacob and MIB to the island. "Across the Sea" supposedly takes place in 23 A.D. And although it's possible that Mother was herself the smoke monster I think it makes more sense that she being the appointed protector of the island used the smoke monster to kill all the Roman villagers. If you look back at the hieroglyphs from the monster's chamber in "Dead is Dead" it appears as if smokey is serving the Anubis-like figure, which would be the island protector. This also means that the monster was around before MIB fell into the source and MIB's consciousness simply merged with it.

I think it's safe to say that all the Egyptian and temple stuff got there AFTER the events of Across The Sea. I know that Egyptian culture died out before 23AD, but there could be some other explanation to why perhaps some didn't arrive on the island until way later

Yeah Lost must be the only series or a film to do the, "speak the foreign language for a scene or two and then change to English for the convenience of the actors and viewers" trick.

Not that I would have objected that the characters speak Latin throughout the episode but it might have affected the performances (well not a lot according to some of you) a teeny-tiny bit. Remember that all the actors who have performed in foreign language in Lost are fluent in it, be it Korean, French or Spanish.

Whaaaat? Every single TV show I've ever seen does that.... in fact LOST is the only show I've seen that will have entirely subtitled episodes!

Actually, they didn't do that trick, even once, in the show, up until that point (from what I recall). This is why I didn't get the switch language trick while watching Accross The Sea

They did it for every Sayid episode. The Sun/Jin episodes were the only ones that DID do run with subtitles the whole time.

Actually - possibly the Eko episodes too? Can't remember right now.

Yeah Lost must be the only series or a film to do the, "speak the foreign language for a scene or two and then change to English for the convenience of the actors and viewers" trick.

Seriously? I hope you're being sarcastic because it's the complete opposite! Yunjin Kim even said that was what she initially loved about the show, that they weren't afraid to do whole episodes in a different language. Several Jin/Sun episodes are like this; Ab Aeterno is like this; some Sayid episodes are like this.

Seriously? I hope you're being sarcastic because it's the complete opposite! Yunjin Kim even said that was what she initially loved about the show, that they weren't afraid to do whole episodes in a different language. Several Jin/Sun episodes are like this; Ab Aeterno is like this; some Sayid episodes are like this.

Did you read all my comments? I said that if the actors were fluent in the language they obviously did the episode gladly in Spanish or French etc. What I meant was that the Latin language is a dead one, no one speaks it anymore (except some scholars) and none of the actors were knowledgeable about it enough to go through an entire episode speaking Latin. Let me remind you that Sayid centric episodes contain only short exchanges in Arabic and Sayid usually is shown interacting with English speaking people. Plus he talks English with Nadia as well and no one ever complained about that. And how are you or anyone else reading into my comments that I am somehow claiming that it would be somehow "in the spirit of Lost or characteristic to Lost" or typical or that it even had an antecedent in the series that they change from one language to English. I meant that it is a one dramatic trick to ease the transition from Latin to English. And it happened once. To some it was strange, to others not a big deal. See The Hunt for Red October for one example of this.

Or The 13th Warrior. The movie starts out with Omar Sharif and Antonio Banderas speaking "Arabic" to each other, which is presented as English to the audience. When Banderas is presented with an "alien" language, that of the Vikings, we can't understand them. When he finally learns the language, they switch over to English so he can speak with them, and we the audience can follow along. It sure doesn't mean they learned Arabic.

It makes you wonder how many episodes and movies of Star Trek are "meant" to be in an alien language, but the Universal Translator ® simply converts the aliens' words -- and mouth movements, for those of you who are deaf -- into English. Everyone must have one built into their skin, for moments when they don't have tricorders or are away from their ship.

Is it a SE revision or a Expanded Universe thing entirely? Because in the original SW there were signs in English, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Yes, I was right!

Tractorbeamtext.jpg

Karol

It's an SE revision thing.

The original version of Star Wars had English on its tractor beam display and all the readouts seen during the Battle of Yavin, and was changed for 1997 onward.

I don't remember seeing any displays in The Empire Strikes Back; about the only ones would be when the Empire views the shield generator on Hoth, but I don't remember the text.

The earliest version of Return of the Jedi that I saw was on network ABC around 1992, which was missing a few scenes. But I remember that even that version had the made-up Aurabesh font as the Death Star II is scanning Vader's shuttle at the beginning; in other words, Lucas had switched away from English by that point, and "had" to go back to Aurabesh in later edits.

The Dark Forces computer games are full of Basic characters, both as in-game puzzles to unlock doors and on the signs at places like Nar Shaddaa. I don't remember the KOTOR games using the language, at least not for any important puzzle. Please don't make me watch the prequels again to see if they use it.

Thanks for bringing the discussion back to LOST.

I wish they had Hurley pay Walt the $83,000 he owed him at some point in the show. The New Man In Charge was a good opportunity for that, but at that point it would have been pointless. Walt visiting Hurley in Season 4 would have been a good moment.

Just saw The New Man in Charge, and am a bit disappointed they took so much time to explain obvious Dharma stuff, while withholding what's so special about Walt. That was a huge thing in Season 1. Also, why does he affect birds the way he does, etc.

Just saw The New Man in Charge, and am a bit disappointed they took so much time to explain obvious Dharma stuff, while withholding what's so special about Walt. That was a huge thing in Season 1. Also, why does he affect birds the way he does, etc.

Well it answered a lot more than I was expecting. I see it as a way to poke fun at the "fans" who now hate the show. They were obviously represented by the Dharma workers who were kept in the dark and "demand answers." Ben, on the other hand, represented Lindelof and Cuse with his "doesn't give a shit" demeanor and allowed them one question each.

Marvin Candle's orientation video didn't feel natural, it was obvious that its only purpose was to give answers for fans, and not to give info to Dharma Initiative members...

yea, I felt the same way

- How many nicknames does Titus Welliver character has, and which one is your favourite ? Here are the ones I remember being used by the fans : Esau, Samuel, The Man In Black, Smokey, Smocke, the Smoke Monster, and Flocke. Did I forget one ?

Didn't Terry O'Quinn refer to him as Puff? (As in the magic dragon.)

- What happens to Island's Desmond at the end of The End ? All I can remember is him being pulled out of the Source by Hurley and Ben and that's it. He wasn't on the Ajira plane, if I'm not mistaken. So, what happened to our poor Des ?

He goes home. Hurley and Ben talk about the fact that when Jacob was in charge of the island nobody could leave, but that that could change under Hurley's reign.

- How many nicknames does Titus Welliver character has, and which one is your favourite ? Here are the ones I remember being used by the fans : Esau, Samuel, The Man In Black, Smokey, Smocke, the Smoke Monster, and Flocke. Did I forget one ?

Didn't Terry O'Quinn refer to him as Puff? (As in the magic dragon.)

After doing a lttle bit of research with "Puff" and "O'Quinn", I found this. Look at the second post. It seems you're right ! Personnaly, I've always liked Smokey the most as Welliver's character nickname, so I was pretty pleased they included it in the Finale.

Heh. Look at the thread's original poster. Does his signature ring a bell?

Marvin Candle's orientation video didn't feel natural, it was obvious that its only purpose was to give answers for fans, and not to give info to Dharma Initiative members...

yea, I felt the same way

It isn't supposed to feel natural, it's obviously there to please the 'fans' that "deserve answers." I thought it was funny, especially that they explained the Hurley bird out of all things.

It's a product of genetic testing/splicing of two species. They released it on the island to see how it adapts to its environment.

:(

Classic.

Well, although I hadn't ever posted anything, I followed the original LOST thread since season 5ish and had many good times reading the stuff posted here. I do love the show, so many amazing moments. Not sure how I feel about the end yet. I haven't watched the Finale since it aired, though I need to go back and take it all in again.

I watched Disc 3 of Season 2 today. Some things I noticed so far...

Walt appearing to Shannon in the jungle was never explained. Are we to assume that was just the MIB? But Walt isn't dead at this point or any other. So how does he take on Walt's form in these instances, as well as in Season 3?

Did they ever say if the black horse Kate saw was the MIB?

Walt appearing to Shannon in the jungle was never explained. Are we to assume that was just the MIB? But Walt isn't dead at this point or any other. So how does he take on Walt's form in these instances, as well as in Season 3?

I always took that to be Walt himself, because it was implied he could astrally project himself.

Did they ever say if the black horse Kate saw was the MIB?

Not officially I don't think. It's either the smoke monster or a manifestation of the island.

I always took that to be Walt himself, because it was implied he could astrally project himself.

How was this implied?

I've been pondering re-watching the entire series. I really haven't done much LOST watching (or even listening) since the series finale...my disappointment with the very end kind of overshadowed my love for the show. And of course, any passion will wax and wane over time. But now I'm thinking maybe enough time has passed for me to watch the whole thing yet again.

And...

I think maybe I actually can accept the ending now. ROTFLMAO I know, right? After putting up such a big fight, I'm starting to warm up to it. We'll see how I feel if and when I watch the whole series from start to finish.

I'd love to re-watch the show from beginning to end as well... just don't know when/where I'll find the time! I have no idea where a college senior is going to find the time.....

I have them all on blu ray so it will be cool to see them all uncompressed with no abc logos over anything

I've been blowing through Season 2 after taking a little break. I forgot how good it was. From "The Long Con" to the finale is pure LOST amazingness. It's also great to be able to tell whenever Ben is lying. The Henry Gale introduction of his character is even better once you know him.

Well, it's not like you have to have time to watch the whole series in one sitting. :lol: But yeah, I do have a lot of free time.

Ha, I watched the whole series originally in 18 days. I think you can do it ;)

The Henry Gale introduction of his character is even better once you know him.

I wish I hadn't known he was going to be a recurring character at that point. I think it would have been more interesting if I had been duped.