Best End LOTR Song

Charlie Brigden

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is the best/your favourite?

• The airey fairy 'May It Be' by Enya
    • Hobbit tragedy faux-Bjork style 'Gollum's Song' by Emiliana Torrini
    • Stop crying! 'Into The West' by Annie Lennox

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May it Be easily. It may not be written by Howard Shore himself, but it blends in beautifully and dare I say it does so even better than his own work in the sequels. I do like Gollum's Song too but Annie Lennox is just too contemporary sounding for the films.

Into the West. I love it's use over the beautifully illustrated end credits. I also love how Annie Lennox's voice has a contemporary sound; I think its perfectly suited to the trilogy's final farewell tone.

Second would be Gollum's Song, as sung by the Bjork soundalike.

Something about Enya irritates.

May It Be

Beautiful in it's own right and fits the best with the rest of the sound-scape, Elvish lyrics and all.

I'm also quite fond of Into The West but agree that it's a bit too contemporary.

Don't care much for Gollum's Song.

Into the West. I love it's use over the beautifully illustrated end credits. I also love how Annie Lennox's voice has a contemporary sound; I think its perfectly suited to the film's farewell tone.

The song is fine, but for some reason, doesn't quite get there.

Karol

I am torn between Gollum's Song and Into The West. I find it hard to listen to Into The West without tearing up, together with the last act of that movie it's very powerful. But I love the melody of Gollum's Song, and the lyrics are simple but wonderful. And I just love everything about TTT. So that one.

Gollum's Song. I loved it for its almost unique creepiness. Not to mention, I think it ended the film perfectly, as it started in with Gollum leading the hobbits to Mordor.

Into the West. I think it is barely better than "May it Be" as a song, but you can never beat those awesome instrumental versions of it throughout the score (I'm thinking "Crack of Doom" especially).

I too went with Into the West. Incorporating it into the film gave it more meaning. I do love the other two endings songs though so it wasn't an easy choice.

Into the West. I think it is barely better than "May it Be" as a song, but you can never beat those awesome instrumental versions of it throughout the score (I'm thinking "Crack of Doom" especially).

Yes.

One thing I didn't like with Into The West, which is not completely related with the song, is that it was not followed by a Gondor theme statement !! May It Be had the Fellowship theme right after it, and Gollum's Song had the Rohan theme. So, why no Gondor theme statement at the end of Into The West ?

It's the end of the entire saga; it's about more than just Gondor. Each theme got its sendoff in the score proper, which is why I really dislike the medley "Days of the Ring" and edited it out of my complete recordings rip.

One thing I didn't like with Into The West, which is not completely related with the song, is that it was not followed by a Gondor theme statement !! May It Be had the Fellowship theme right after it, and Gollum's Song had the Rohan theme. So, why no Gondor theme statement at the end of Into The West ?

It's the end of the entire saga; it's about more than just Gondor. Each theme got its sendoff in the score proper, which is why I really dislike the medley "Days of the Ring" and edited it out of my complete recordings rip.

I agree. The way it ended on the OST was perfect.

I went with In Dreams (aka 'The Road Goes Ever On, Part II').

Too bad it isn't on there, huh?

Yup, too bad. It's a lovely piece, although I wanted to keep it to the actual three "big" songs.

Gollum's Song easily!

The boys' choir transition into the credits is one of the most haunting and effective I've ever seen.

It lends the imagery of the camera panning over Mordor a transcendent and slightly eery feeling.

It's a shame Shore didn't use the melody as Gollum's primary theme, throughout the score.

It's surprising most people don't grasp the concept that Gollum's Song is an expansion of Gollum's music - just like the Grey Havens theme existed before it was used as a chorus in Into The West.

I find it highly applaudable that this is one of the rare cases where themes of the score dictated the end credits song, and not the other way around.

I think ending Into The West with a statement of the Gondor theme would not have done the scope of the story justice. In FOTR, it was about the fellowship, in TTT, it was all about Rohan, and in ROTK, it was all about Sam and Frodo's friendship destroying the Ring - that's why there is a "reprisal" (by editing) of the Hobbit and the Fourth Age theme.

Still, ROTK deserved an original end credits suite instead of a simple edit.

Gollum's Song easily!

The boys' choir transition into the credits is one of the most haunting and effective I've ever seen.

This I do agree with. That shot gives me goosebumps every time I see it. What a perfect way to end the film.

The strange thing is, there is nothing tangible in the film or in the connection between film and music that I can point to and say "that's why it works".

I get an emotional response from this moment that I cannot attribute any definite emotions, I can only say that I find it overwhelming.

Tough call between Gollum's Song and Into The West....very tough....gonna go for Into The West but might change my mind tomorrow...

Into the West. I love it's use over the beautifully illustrated end credits. I also love how Annie Lennox's voice has a contemporary sound; I think its perfectly suited to the trilogy's final farewell tone.

Second would be Gollum's Song, as sung by the Bjork soundalike.

Something about Enya irritates.

Copy that. Every time I hear an Enya song, I want to go and put my head in a bucket of hot oil. "Into The West" is nice, but "Love Song For A Vampire" craps all over it. "Gollum's Song" wonderfully creepy.

"Crack of Doom"

There's a shit joke there, somewhere, but I'm not going to say it.