Recommend me some Goldsmith

Jay

I think that's the reason why I really haven't bought anything from ebay in the last several years. You'll most likely get sniped at the last second. I generally tend to look at the Amazon Marketplace if I want to find something OOP these days.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night Crossing - $102.50

The Sand Pebbles (Varese Club) - $85.99

Capricorn One (Intrada) - $71.07

Psycho II - $71

Chinatown - $67

Explorers - $53.50

Runaway - $45

The Swarm - $43

Baby - $29

Yeah, the limited ones go up in price quickly. I'm still missing several of those myself... in fact, I have only three of them.

Then there were a bunch that I was just trying to get for cheap that sold for more than I expected. Remember, these are open, used CDs!

The Wind and The Lion (2CD Intrada) - $20.51 (Why?? IT's available brand new from all the retailers or amazon for $24.99!)

Oh well. I'll get them all some day!

Shaddap! That's $24.99 plus shipping. I did all right.

I mean...oh dear.

Trent, it was on eBay literally 5 minutes after is sold out. The starting bid was $70.

That's insane.

So actually, the longer I go without opening mine, I'd actually be making money? Fascinating.

I won quite a few of Goldsmith titles from

Snipemonkey. Lost many as well. Jay, where can you get new copies of Supergirl for under 14 bucks??

Hmm, I thought I remembered seeing it for $13.99 somewhere when I was researching before, but I can't find it now. But I do see it for $15.99 new at moviemusic.com (link) and $16.95 new on amazon.com (link), so $14.50 for used does strike me as a little silly

That said, there's one score you should buy though, because it's his best, by far: Under Fire. There is no comparison!

Under Fire - Awesome guitar work.

UNDER FIRE

Under Fire.

What they said.

Peter ;)

I would definitely urge you to get Papillon and First Blood. For some reason, the latter seems to be less of a fan favorite than Rambo but I like the meat, more acoustic sound of the first film to that of the sequel. There's a lot to like in it too. It balances that plaintive, somber main theme with some of Goldsmith's most intense action pieces of his career. Things like "Over the Edge" and "Hanging On" have a kinetic energy, especially in the string writing, that is unequaled. I love the pacing and contrast of those cues to the more lyrical tracks too. There's even some avant garde material found in "The Tunnel" and "Mountain Hunt". First Blood is a very solid, balanced score, much like Papillon where Goldsmith found a delicate balance between lyricism and action. Tonality and dissonance.

I could write so much more about both First Blood and Papillon. If you want to complete what I call the "Man vs. Trilogy" in Goldsmith's career, try the new expanded The Edge CD as well. All three films deal with the classic conflicts. Man vs. Man, Man vs. Nature, Man vs. Himself.

• 1 year later...

One of the reasons I started this thread because there was an ebay seller named snipemonkey that was selling (seemingly) his entire Goldsmith collection. 133 titles! I ended up bidding on 17 of them, and lost EVERY SINGLE AUCTION, either due to the prices getting ridiculously out of control, or people sniping me at the last minute!

Some of the ones that sold for really high included:

Night Crossing - $102.50

Psycho II - $71

Chinatown - $67

Explorers - $53.50

Runaway - $45

The Swarm - $43

Baby - $29

Resurrecting a quality Goldsmith thread instead of making its own, but Chinatown is now $4.99 at Amazon. I don't know when the price dropped but it's been a digital download since July.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinatown/dp/B005DJT5RM/ref=sr_1_96?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1324607234&sr=1-96

This was news to me.

Jason, haven't you got or listened to Legend?

this is Goldsmith's masterpiece and from what I know he was very proud of this score.

i love the film too, great atmosphere (although for some reason the film has bad reviews).

Of course I'm talking about the director's cut or European version of the film that has the Goldsmith score and not the American one with the much inferior Tangerine Dream score.

What can I say that hasn't been recommended all ready? Here's my personal favorites.

Air Force One

The Edge

First Knight

Mulan

The Mummy

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Star Trek First Contact

Star Trek Insurrection

Star Trek Nemesis

Timeline

Jason, haven't you got or listened to Legend?

this is Goldsmith's masterpiece and from what I know he was very proud of this score.

i love the film too, great atmosphere (although for some reason the film has bad reviews).

Of course I'm talking about the director's cut or European version of the film that has the Goldsmith score and not the American one with the much inferior Tangerine Dream score.

Nope, don't have that one yet

One of the reasons I started this thread because there was an ebay seller named snipemonkey that was selling (seemingly) his entire Goldsmith collection. 133 titles! I ended up bidding on 17 of them, and lost EVERY SINGLE AUCTION, either due to the prices getting ridiculously out of control, or people sniping me at the last minute!

Some of the ones that sold for really high included:

Night Crossing - $102.50

Psycho II - $71

Chinatown - $67

Explorers - $53.50

Runaway - $45

The Swarm - $43

Baby - $29

Resurrecting a quality Goldsmith thread instead of making its own, but Chinatown is now $4.99 at Amazon. I don't know when the price dropped but it's been a digital download since July.

http://www.amazon.co...4607234&sr=1-96

This was news to me.

I remember when it first became a digital download, I know I posted it in the forums somewhere. Possibly the reason why it hasn't been reissued and remastered by one of the labels. I imagine Intrada doing it eventually.

• 4 weeks later...