AOTC Sound Levels

TheDarkOrb

Is it just my defunct copy or is anyone else experiencing low volume level on the Attack of the Clones soundtrack release? I compared the Main Title to TPM and ROTS and it seemed lower.

Why?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just my defunct copy or is anyone else experiencing low volume level on the Attack of the Clones soundtrack release? I compared the Main Title to TPM and ROTS and it seemed lower.

Why?

The AOTC OST Album has a very noisy hiss going on all the time,. This may be caused by the "very useful" Copyprotection, since the music we got from several PC games that made use of AOTC music, didn't have that.

This may also be the reason why you think it has a lower Volume-level

ALSO:

for quick questions we have the socalled Quickqestion thread

http://jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17304&st=920

Esther

What does hiss have to do with copy protection? That connection has been made for years but I don't get it.

How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Remember the version of AOTC before it was actually released on CD, but leaked here online had no hiss. Now of course the OST material in the games has no hiss either. Honestly I don't hear hiss in my copy with the "Conveyor Belt" bonus track.

This isn't the first time I've heard someone complain about a hissing noise coming from their AOTC OST. Maybe one of these days I'll play my OST to see if my disc has the same issue.

SsssssssssssssssssssssssssssI don't know what you meansssssssssssssssssssssssssssssI can't hear anything wrongssssssssssssssssssssssssssswith the CDssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....

The future ith now! Thoon every American home will integrate their televithion, phone and computer. You'll be able to vishit the Louvre on one channel, or watch female wreshtling on another. You can do your shopping at home, or play Mortal Kombat with a friend from Vietnam. There'th no end to the possibilitieth!

What does hiss have to do with copy protection? That connection has been made for years but I don't get it.

It's just a theory, but it makes some sense. Many copy protections are based on violating the CDDA standard so that the error correction of computer drives (which can read many different formats and therefore often adhere closer to the specification than classic "CD players") acts up and prevents the drive from reading/playing the CD. Technically, a CD like this isn't an audio CD (a common term is "un-CD") and can't be expected to play in any regular player. It's a deliberately defective product. As such, regular players may struggle with the wrong checksums too, and their error correction may produce hiss as a result.

Although I have to add that in Linux, I never had any noticeable problems with any copy protected CDs. With software protection (all those stupid tricks which hack into your system and let you only play low-quality MP3s instead of the original CD tracks) that's obvious, but aside from potentially some hiss, every single disc I've ever used worked fine. So I consider the copy protection theory a possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of bad Murphy.

The AOTC score sounds like it was recorded in the 80's, minus the strong performance that the LSO used to give back then. It's muddy sounding at times.

That's one of the main problems I have with the prequel scores, they lack the power the LSO used to have.

I don't know about the copyright issue. Never had a problem with any of that ridiculous stuff.

That's one of the main problems I have with the prequel scores, they lack the power the LSO used to have.

Honestly I'm not sure if it's the LSO or Murphy. I have no idea why he's so obsessed with killing brass power.

Why?

Thank God. :o And all the time I had this suspicion that it was my defunct copy... yes, I'm serious!

It's just a theory, but it makes some sense. Many copy protections are based on violating the CDDA standard so that the error correction of computer drives (which can read many different formats and therefore often adhere closer to the specification than classic "CD players") acts up and prevents the drive from reading/playing the CD. Technically, a CD like this isn't an audio CD (a common term is "un-CD") and can't be expected to play in any regular player. It's a deliberately defective product. As such, regular players may struggle with the wrong checksums too, and their error correction may produce hiss as a result.

Although I have to add that in Linux, I never had any noticeable problems with any copy protected CDs. With software protection (all those stupid tricks which hack into your system and let you only play low-quality MP3s instead of the original CD tracks) that's obvious, but aside from potentially some hiss, every single disc I've ever used worked fine. So I consider the copy protection theory a possibility, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of bad Murphy.

Can anyone else confirm this? I have a half decent setup and don't hear any hiss on my non-US AOTC disc

When I first bought AOTC's score, I do remember hearing some hiss to it. However, when I bought it again from ebay, the one with the "On The Conveyor Belt" bonus track I never noticed any hiss with that version.

I've never been bothered by any hiss on my U.S. Conveyor-Belt-less copy.

I had no idea there was actually a Conveyor-Beltless copy in existence! :D I hope you downloaded that single track, Datameister! It's one of JW's best and most imaginative action pieces.

Yeah, at least in the U.S., "On the Conveyor Belt" was only on copies sold at Target. Not knowing this at the time, I of course bought it elsewhere. I later resorted to downloading, since I didn't see the point of buying a whole second album for a single track. And I do like that piece, yes. :D

Well, it said "Bonus Track," but since I never saw a copy without that track, I assumed it was just a cheap gimmick, like the four different CD covers.

Listening to Conveyor Belt for the first time in a very long time! :D