What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I listened to Prisoner of Azkaban. 1000 points to Williams.

It is good, even if it marks a turn in the sound of Williams' scores...

One of the things some friends and I foolishly tried over the holidays was a Potter marathon, and we made it to 4 movies before we had to call it a day. It was clear the third one was the best film. Cuaron really struck a remarkable balance between the humour and spirit of the first two films, and the darker elements of the arguably lifeless/colourless latter films, all topped off with both style and restraint. I also loved how seasonal the film felt. I don't think the other films quite nailed the passage of time like this one did.

And the score is great stuff, especially the patronus music! Though the OST album presentation still leaves a lot to be desired on that front.

I seem to recall a time when JWFan erroneously considered it Williams' second greatest score.

It's a madhouse in here I tell you!

I listened to Prisoner of Azkaban. 1000 points to Williams. I'm now halfway through the first Potter score again. This is exactly why I listen to music.

And always the same music.

star%2Bwars%2Bsoundtrack%2B1997%2Brca%2BEmpire_strikes_back-RCA_2CD.jpgStar_Wars_Return_of_the_Jedi.jpg

The Star Wars Original Trilogy (some dude named Johnny Williams) :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

I've listened to and enjoyed these for years, since I bought them in 1997. Before that I didn't own a single SW score.

They are now so engraved in my brain that no other presentation feels right.

I love everything about them. This trilogy of scores is what John Williams is about and I consider them the best definition of film music.

Also how they're presented on these 6 discs is something I'll never tire of. The entire scores never exhaust me, they're fantastic from start to end.

I've heard the anthology and while the sound quality may be better (especially in the case of Jedi) hearing these tracks cut up is not my way of enjoying them.

I've grown so used to hearing the underscore and various cues glued together that the Special Editions will never leave my collection, or be replaced, except for remasters of these of course.

Whenever I can I listen to each set in its entirety. I make time for it. Hearing them every year or so has become a staple of my otherwise insignificant life.

But I wonder if I'll ever be able to listen to all three back to back. I might do it when Mr. Williams departs this world, hopefully not before in 20 years or so.

But I wonder if I'll ever be able to listen to all three back to back. I might do it when Mr. Williams departs this world, hopefully not before in 20 years or so.

I don't understand. Why can't you listen to all 3 back to back right now?

Oh I would, believe me, it's just I have to sing along with everything so I would have no voice left by the time the first disc of Empire ends. :lol:

That singing along is a very nerdy quality but It's my way of enjoying this music even more.

I listened to Prisoner of Azkaban. 1000 points to Williams. I'm now halfway through the first Potter score again. This is exactly why I listen to music.

And always the same music.

What else should I listen to? I only listen to music I love.

Speaking of which, I started the day off whistling Preparing the Cage from Jaws in the shower, then I listened to Azkaban, Revenge of the Sith and Temple of Doom. Raiders is up next.

i think that Azkaban is entertaining, but overstays its welcome on album. It needs to be cut down to like 35 minutes or so. I know everyone wants the unreleased music, so it may be shocking to see someone criticize what material is actually available. I still prefer the first two scores.

Revenge of the Sith, on the other hand, is becoming one of my favorite scores. I've always enjoyed it, but my appreciation for it is growing with each successive year. I mean, seriously. Just listen to The Boys Continue--Williams hasn't hit the notes like that since the Winter of 2005. I want that John Williams back.

Revenge of the Sith is very scatterbrained (like POA) but its dramatic posture is spectacular. I'd love to see Williams apply the same weight to Episode 7 rather than rely on the typical "boom-tzz, xylophone, repeat" method he usually relies on.

Revenge of the Sith has an exquisite musical depiction of villainy and is a true modern Williams epic. It isn't perfect, but it is extremely entertaining and I really feel that Williams put his heart into it, especially once you get to the last 45 minutes or so. We haven't gotten music like this from Williams since. I hope Force Awakens is at least something on that level.

once you get to the last 45 minutes or so. We haven't gotten music like this from Williams since.

War Horse comes close I think. "Pulling the Cannon" and "No Man's Land" are both exquisitely dramatic pieces.

The Missing By James Horner

The Sand Pebbles By Jerry Goldsmith

How to Steal a Milloin & Bachelor Flat by John Williams

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard

I love How to Steal a Million. Now there is an underrated Williams score.

It is hands down the best of Williams's 60s comedy scores along with Fitzwilly, mainly because while it does make some rapid stylistic turns it is much more cohesive than the zanier everything-and-the-kitchen-sink scores like John Goldfarb and A Guide for the Married Man. Very much in the style of the times but a really fun little gem of a score.

I assume they did their best in finding the materials as the liner notes mention that the restoration can be tricky when there is never a guarantee that the elements from that period are well preserved not matter the format. For me the Intrada album suffices very well.

Michael Kamen - License To Kill

After reading Stefan's review of the film, I was compelled to listen to this OST for the very first time! (I've never seen the film either)

Boy, this Kamen guy knows how to write action music, eh? Fun stuff here! Too bad there's only 30 minutes of it released

Michael Giacchino - Medal of Honor: Airborne

Takes a while to get going, but there's eventually some good action cues and new takes on the MOH theme. Good stuff.

Revenge of the Sith is very scatterbrained.

It's hard to write a cohesive score when huge chunks of it is going to be tracked music.

Takes a while to get going, but there's eventually some good action cues and new takes on the MOH theme. Good stuff.

Takes a while huh? :huh:

It's pretty much kickass from the get-go.

I dunno, after the first track it takes a little bit to built up to the block of action pieces that end the album

Rosewood by John Williams

Patton & Tora, Tora, Tora (Varese re-recording) by Jerry Goldsmith

I dunno, after the first track it takes a little bit to built up to the block of action pieces that end the album

Is this the first time you guys disagree on something? ;)

It's hard to write a cohesive score when huge chunks of it is going to be tracked music.

I believe that AOTC is pretty cohesive. The tracked music is definitely an issue though and its something that I hope doesn't rear its ugly head in the ST.

I believe that AOTC is pretty cohesive.

Yeah, its hard to tell though entirely, since neither of them is available in complete form.

My thoughts exactly.

Today, I listened to The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Jaws 2, Hook, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Star Wars and Revenge of the Sith. I eliminated The Compys Dine from the playlist, but, as it turned out, I would eventually hear it in I Am the Senate anyway.

Today, I listened to The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Jaws 2, Hook, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Star Wars and Revenge of the Sith. I eliminated The Compys Dine from the playlist, but, as it turned out, I would eventually hear it in I Am the Senate anyway.

Well that part of I Am the Senate is very hard trying to sound like lightning sound effects, mimicking the visuals through music. But I think most of that stuff was cut from the film.

Compys Dine is a great track. Williams turned his specific aleatoric writing into a theme for the little monsters.

I'm listening to the Star Wars Anthology in order discs 1-4. I just began Return of the Jedi. This is still the best presentation of the Star Wars scores and probably my favorite John Williams release of all time.

I'm listening to the Star Wars Anthology in order discs 1-4. I just began Return of the Jedi. This is still the best presentation of the Star Wars scores and probably my favorite John Williams release of all time.

I am still partial to the RCA presentation of the trilogy. Some of my first CDs and certainly solidified my JW fandom.