What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Pub, you frequently use the descriptor "spherical." I think I know what you mean by it but I'd be interested to hear an explanation.

I would describe it as a kind of light, shimmering, floating-in-space sound that has a kind of otherwordly quality to it. Often to be found in space-related scores of course, but also for musical translations of unusual state-of-mind's and such.

Its just pompous posturing. To try and seem atleast faux intellectual. Typical Pub.

Doesn't resonate with your plain meat-and-potatoes persona, that's for sure.

Though A. I.'s endless stream of incidental music in its first part qualifies more, i think. The Zimmer is a given, though a honourable mention (as far as film music goes) would be the the hypersleep sequence from ALIEN that manages that transcendent feeling without synth.

Howard Shore - The Desolation of Smaug

Well, I tried to. After a few tracks I had to switch to something else - I guess I'm still all "The Hobbit"ed out, need a break from these scores before returning. I guess this is why I've made no progress on the themes list, or the complete cue lists for all 3 scores.

It's been like that for me since before the first Hobbit came out. I haven't even read Doug's book yet! :(

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

I've been listening to my new The River Wild disc, the Goldsmith one. I never had a copy of the old album, so I only knew the score from the documentary and from seeing the film once, long ago. It's mostly nothing special, but it has some nice City Hall-ish moments with that score's signature pounding timpani - sadly doubled by a somewhat goofy synth effect here.

You know, I think BOFA and to an extent DOS are missing something that the first 4 scores in the franchise all had. To me, it seems lke Shore's heart just wasn't all-in.

Yea, Empire isn't just his best Star Wars end credits suite, it might be his best end credits suite all around.

You all have a point, but as much as I love ESB's suite, I think I like the one from Star Wars just as much. It's the most unified of all the suites, and of course it has Leia's theme. Plus I'm not fond of the Imperial March performance in ESB's credits.

Plus I'm not fond of the Imperial March performance in ESB's credits.

Too powerful for you is it ;)

You know, I think BOFA and to an extent DOS are missing something that the first 4 scores in the franchise all had. To me, it seems lke Shore's heart just wasn't all-in.

Me too. Haven't had much urge to return to them yet for whatever reason.

Howard Shore - The Desolation of Smaug

Well, I tried to. After a few tracks I had to switch to something else - I guess I'm still all "The Hobbit"ed out, need a break from these scores before returning. I guess this is why I've made no progress on the themes list, or the complete cue lists for all 3 scores.

It's been like that for me since before the first Hobbit came out. I haven't even read Doug's book yet! :(

You guys are all nuts! (cue Pub)

I always felt that The Imperial March portion of End Credits was better performed on Gerhardt album.

And yeah, I'm Hobbited-out too for the time being. Need some other things after all this craziness.

Karol

Well, I think it's fair to say that everyone involved wasn't nearly as invested in these films as the first time around, Shore included. It really comes through in the music, which is good but as Jason said lacks the sort of soul that made and makes the LOTR scores so compelling.

I agree with you... therefor I think I am redundant. :whistle:

Or maybe not?

Shore must've understood that the new films aren't nowhere near the OT as filming went on. At least AUJ still had some great music.

I agree with you... therefor I think I am redundant. :whistle:

Or maybe not?

Shore must've understood that the new films aren't nowhere near the OT as filming went on. At least AUJ still had some great music.

Oh, all three Hobbit scorse feature some great music. And I am hoping the BOFA EE will change my mind about how Shore wrapped it all up (seems like some essential scenes were cut from the theatrical cut at the last minute, leading to their music getting axed from the OST CDs as well). I mean, the Smaug material is my favorite stuff from all three scores. But it's just missing..... something intangible, that LOTR and AUJ delivered in spades. And it's not that Pope conducted them.

I feel like DOS had more of Shore's heart in it than AUJ. It was the score where his creative juices were really flowing, moreso than AUJ at least.

BOFA seemed like Shore was writing out of his obligation to the franchise. But really, the whole trilogy doesn't have the same heart and spirit that could be heard in LOTR.

All 3 scores offer great moments, but yes, I'm Hobbit-ed out at the moment too. Won't be revisiting them for a while, unless I get a sudden craving.

I can't honestly say there are truly great moments in BOFA. It's entertaining enough, but I get much more enjoyment out of the previous two.

I keep revisiting them (or rather my custom playlists). I can never get through the entire scores.

BOTFA feels too much like a patchwork of themes and motifs rather then a cohesive musical work. Like all Shore did was just match whatever was going on on screen with whatever theme was most suitable.

It also feels a lot like DOS vol. 2

I can't honestly say there are truly great moments in BOFA.

I can.

Fire and Water 3:08-End

Shores of the Long Lake 0:38, 1:22, and 2:01

Beyond Sorrow and Grief 0:00

Guardians of the Three 4:17-End

The Ruins of Dale 0:00-End

The Gathering of the Clouds 0:00-End

Mithril 0:00-0:38, 2:01-end

A Thief in the Night 0:00-0:31, 1:19-2:35

The Clouds Burst All. Of. It.

Battle for the Mountain 0:00 - 2:27

The Darkest Hour 0:28-1:21, 2:15-End

Sons of Durin All. Of. It.

The Fallen 4:37-End

Ravenhill 0:43-1:59, 2:27-End

To The Death 1:30-2:52, 4:32-End

Courage and Wisdom 0:00-End

The Return Journey 0:00-End

Ironfoot 2:11-End

Dragon-Sickness 0:00-End

It also feels a lot like DOS vol. 2

So basically, the fact that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb bothers you?

Fire and Water is brilliant and as good as anything he wrote for the entire franchise.

Should have been the climactic cue of Film 2 though, not the Film 3 prologue.

Plus I'm not fond of the Imperial March performance in ESB's credits.

Too powerful for you is it ;)

Too raw and dirty.

That's what she said...

For me, raw and dirty is how the Imperial March (in it's militaristic form) is meant to sound. The End Credits at least beats the relatively bland album recording, which lacks the important crudity and mad zeal.

John Willimas - Empire of the Sun (LLL)

Haven't listened to this in a while now.... you know what? It's damn good!

John Williams - The Lost World (OST)

Goddamn, I love this, I love all of this. Despite my neverending desire for this in complete and chronological form, I have to say the OST as-is in indeed a nice listening experience. But still - please Universal, release this in full! It will sell!

Yeah, sure... Remember the Interstellar fiasco?

That was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. People preaching tolerance of other opinions - as long as no one challenges their own.

Yes I do. But I'm perfectly willing to accept that not everyone shares my opinion

Yeah, sure... Remember the Interstellar fiasco?

That was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. People preaching tolerance of other opinions - as long as no one challenges their own.

You were a real dick head there. And made a fool of yourself