What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

For me, raw and dirty is how the Imperial March (in it's militaristic form) is meant to sound. The End Credits at least beats the relatively bland album recording, which lacks the important crudity and mad zeal.

I think it works better, as a march, in a more refined performance. To convey the Empire's supposed grandness and superiority.

The Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein

The Sixth Sense by James Newton Howard

That was entirely unintentional btw.

And from that lot I would take Shore and Kamen over the other three. :P

I should do a playlist starting with 48 Hours and work down from there. Or why not go all the way to 10 000 BC or Million Dollar Baby! :lol:

cover_fs.png

FINAL SYMPHONY - Music from Final Fantasy VI, VII and X

My goodness, this is superb stuff. Arranged for the concert hall, but spectacular in every way.

FF has always had brilliant scores (yay Nobuo), but to hear the music like this, performed by the LSO no less, my mind is blown.

Thanks Bloodboal, consider this already ordered (on CD). Hopefully a little sooner than mid-year.

poster.jpg

Project X - Horner

Once in a while it just hits me... I put something on that I wasn't ecstatic about on multiple occasions in the past... and BAM !! I hear it in different conditions or state of mind and I discover something I dismissed for a long time.

Project X is such a work. I've always been a huge fan of the period that Horner was at the top of his game and his music during that time cemented my love for the orchestral genre. Though for some reason this one I always found a little overbearing or unoriginal compared to much of the scores of the same time.

But now I'm able to hear the score on its terms, and it hits right between the eyes that this has everything I adore about Horner's writing, rousing and exciting action music, gorgeous long-lined themes, and that undeniable magical spark in the orchestrations (courtesy of Creig McRitchie).

Maybe my new-found love for Project X is due to me enjoying Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (the film) just before this listen, which shares many qualities.

For me, raw and dirty is how the Imperial March (in it's militaristic form) is meant to sound. The End Credits at least beats the relatively bland album recording, which lacks the important crudity and mad zeal.

I think it works better, as a march, in a more refined performance. To convey the Empire's supposed grandness and superiority.

I always thought of the Empire as rather brutal and crude, and grand in terms of scale. Take their ship design which like the brutalist architecture of the 60s, is purely functional and cost-efficient. Compare the angular Star Destroyers to the beautifully globular Mon Calamari cruisers--two opposing ideologies expressed in shape.

I think Williams reacted to the Galactic Empire in a very similar way to how Alex North saw the Roman Empire in Spartacus.

Dear god, you easily hold a grudge for the tiniest of things, don't you?

Grudge? Good grief I'm just teasing you.

This board is really bipolar when it comes to having a sense of humor or taking things very, very personally.

I also listened to the score to Nemesis last night, until the alternates kicked in. Pretty good, from The Scorpion or The Mirror, one of the two, it's balls to the walls action music.

You guys are all nuts!

Of course we're nuts ! We're conversing on the internet by typing words in white boxes using avatars and made-up screen names for identification. :D

Never more beautifully or concisely summarized than this. Bravo! ;)

This board is really bipolar when it comes to having a sense of humor or taking things very, very personally.

Now what would give you that idea. . . ? :sarcasm:

Star Trek II, III, VI, TMP, TOS Episodes: The Naked Time, Charlie X and Mudd's Women. - James Horner, Cliff Eidelman, Jerry Goldsmith, Alexander Courage, and Fred Steiner.

The very end of that cue is fuckin' awesome.

Let's not forget about one of his finest setpieces in Goldsmith's Star Trek series... Final Flight (heard in this video at about 7:00).

http://youtu.be/Ez1Oh39Bl4Q

A New Ending always breaks my heart. The arrangement of Shinzon's theme sounds nothing like the material heard within the score and quite unlike anything in Goldsmith's Star Trek.

Karol

King Kong - James Newton Howard

For a last minute replacement score, it's still really impressive. I think this is probably one of Howard's finest scores, right up there with Maleficent, The Last Airbender and Snow Falling on Cedars. The main theme, the lovely Ann/Kong motif in "Beautiful" and "Central Park", and the unbridled excitement and drama of "Tooth and Claw", "The Venture Departs", "Empire State Building" and "Beauty Killed the Beast". The care Howard put into the thematic material feels like he spent 2-3 months writing, rather than several weeks writing and recording.

It's a shame the movie itself is too long and self-indulgent, there was a great 2-hour remake in this 3-hour epic.

One has to wonder how the film might've turned out if he hadn't preceded it with the Rings cycle. What we got was borne of a mentality given to oversized storytelling that had been bred through long years steeped in Tolkien's mythology. It worked well for the trilogy, but contributed to the fattening of his movies that followed. He's never had to suffer the lesson Spielberg learned from 1941. If he had, his King Kong may have turned out a near-perfect movie.

Before TLOTR, PJ made a few horror movies, though I don't know if any are stinkers on par with 1941. I don't hear anyone chastise The Frighteners as being heinous. The Lovely Bones was pretty dumb, but it came after King Kong so it doesn't apply.