What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Just now, Jay said:

Alexander Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

I still like this score, but the OST is a bit long and I lost interest somewhat.  A 40 minute program of highlights would probably be ideal for this one

This is how I feel about every Desplat score I've ever heard.  I'd prefer to listen to a 90s Varese style release!

I like the Monuments Men album all the way through, Ghost Writer too.

Grand Budapest Hotel is already nice and short

James Newton Howard - Waterworld (Complete)

I've listened to this a few times now since the LLL announcement.  Can't wait to finally get the CD!

Howard Shore - The Fellowship of the Ring (Faleel expanded)

One of my favorite scores of all time.  Literally never gotten tired of listening to any part of it once ever.

Michael Giacchino - Jupiter Ascending

I've somehow cooled off to this score... I found it a slog to get through on this listem.

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Possibly my favorite Elfman score.  When will an expanded release finally happen?

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission Gun Hazard

A staple of my listening at work music for the past many months and months.  Love every track, and the momentum powers me through lots of assignments!

Independence Day (LLL set) by David Arnold: It has been a while since I have listened to this one. It remains a superbly entertaining rip-roaring heart-on-its-sleeve popcorn movie score and Arnold's top creation.

Catch Me If You Can OST without the songs

In some cases, songs in conjunction with the score can work (see: Batman, which was nice enough to also separate the songs and score into two separate albums), but not here. Not for me, anyway. With the time constraints imposed by the inclusion of songs, you're left with a Williams album that feels more like the traditional classic albums of the 70s and 80s than the 70-minute albums of that era which mostly ran for way too long and required the use of the skip button. I might argue it still runs too long and may be a bit repetitive. I've always enjoyed it, though. Many people pointed out at the time, in addition to the similarity between the AOTC love theme and the main titles, that it was Williams returning to his jazz roots. And hey, he's incorporating all those other orchestral things he knows how to do as well. That's all fine and dandy, but I've never been able to disassociate it from Sneakers.

The Adventures of Tintin

Never been part of my regular listening, but it's growing on me.  I really wish Johnny had adopted more than just "The Adventure Continues"(/"The Duel") for his concert repertoire.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The Adventures of Tintin

Never been part of my regular listening, but it's growing on me.  I really wish Johnny had adapted more than just "The Adventure Continues"(/"The Duel") for his concert repertoire.

The sea battle cue has been adapted for concert and performed a few times by the Maestro with the Boston Pops but one glaring omission on that front is the theme for Tintin himself. He really should have fleshed out a full fledged version of it for the album or subsequently for concerts, perhaps incorporating all three of his ideas for him.

Just now, Evil-Lyn said:

It's not a strong enough theme or a strong enough character to flesh out.

I disagree. The main theme had potential.

What he chooses to perform regularly and record often helps me go back and get into scores I hadn't really listened to much.  I'm listening to Tintin more recently because I've listened to the S/W Collaboration III like a hundred times so "The Duel" has become a real favorite.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

What he chooses to perform regularly and record often helps me go back and get into scores I hadn't really listened to much.  I'm listening to Tintin more recently because I've listened to the S/W Collaboration III like a hundred times so "The Duel" has become a real favorite.

I still think he should have re-recorded Irina's theme from KotCS instead of The Adventures of Mutt to provide variety for the album. As nice an overture the latter is, it is a tad too similar in feel to the Duel, essentially an old fashioned Korngoldian swashbuckling piece.

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Great missed opportunity. That and the absence of TLW.

Karol

I still think Johnny thought that the recent JP Collection had all the Lost World anyone would need and thus omitted it. Same with A.I. as it already had its 3 disc set. ;) 

It makes some sense I guess.

Listened to Desplat's Valerian, Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, Horner's Wolf Totem and Goldsmith's The Blue Max on my way to the airport today. Enjoyed all of them.

Karol

War of the Worlds (2005) custom Selina Kyle/Rose Dawson/whatever hot broad I am now edit

This album is an extremely frustrating listen. Using unofficial expanded sources, I have created as perfect a playlist as you can completely omitting the action and suspense music (painful stuffWilliams falling flat where he usually excels with skill and ease) and keeping everything in between. It's all that should really be salvaged from this one. What remains is actually quite good. I am a fan of the emotional meterial. Ray and Rachel and Refugee Status are examples of this. Williams composed some great elegiacal stuff that year and WOTW is sort of like an extension of that style he used in Star Wars III, only the action and typical Williamsy stuff is fucking awful here. Get rid of it. Get rid of it!

6 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

action and suspense music (painful stuffWilliams falling flat where he usually excels with skill and ease)

Really?  "Escape from the City" is my favorite cue.

The film itself is greater than the sum of its parts. You've got to have a heart of stone not to enjoy it. 

Im still not a major fan of the synth choir but it is one of my all time favourite scores. It was the first soundtrack I owned and Back to Titanic was the second!

How do you feel about its portrayal or working class Irish culture?  Aren't you quite sensitive about that sort of thing?

It was the first score I ever bought.  I bought the Space Jam soundtrack before it ;) 

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

How do you feel about its portrayal or working class Irish culture?  Aren't you quite sensitive about that sort of thing? 

Eh, it's fairly accurate. 😂 It's got the music and the pints and I think there's even a bit of fighting. All that's missing is the chipper at the end of the night.  

I was sensitive about you calling me British that time. Ya prick .

4 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I was sensitive about you calling me British that time. Ya prick .

Actually I called Domhnall Gleeson British, not you.  And he personally forgave me so let it go!

Besides, I'm hopelessly in love with Saoirse Ronan ever since I saw Brooklyn so I love the Irish!  I'm pretty sure she's going to say yes when I propose to her.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Actually I called Domhnall Gleeson British, not you.  And he personally forgave me so let it go!

Besides, I'm hopelessly in love with Saoirse Ronan ever since I saw Brooklyn so I love the Irish!  I'm pretty sure she's going to say yes when I propose to her.

Brooklyn was brilliant. Loved the film. Must be due a rewatch soon!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Really?  "Escape from the City" is my favorite cue.

The Ferry Scene and The Interaction Scene are standouts. Brilliant stuff.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

24 albums, 106 titles. 

6 albums - and that includes Terminator Salvation, which I got for free, listened to once and can't remember.

I'm going to see Elfman live in a few weeks when he's at Hollywood in Vienna to collect his Max Steiner award. In past years, I've been listening to the music by the awardees all summer, and got quite a few more of their albums along the way, too. Can't even remember when I last listened to an Elfman disc though.

:music: 1984, by Eurythmics.

This is a great soundtrack (notice that I didn't say OST) from a quiet powerhouse of a film that gets more prescient with each passing year (or, is that doublepluss ridiculous verging thought crime?).

I'm aware of the debacle surrounding the score, and I also own Dominic Muldowney's CD, which is also fine. 

Either way it's one of my favourite British albums of the 80s. It's right up there with INTROSPECTIVE, DARE, and   CUPID AND PSYCHE '85, and it's a perfect listen for a lazy, if drizzly, early September afternoon, in good ole Blighty.

I haven't seen the film in years, and its not on Blu, otherwise I would have bought it, and so I can't combine the two CDs. Not many actors can say that they were born to play a particular role, but John Hurt was very definitely born to play two, Winston Smith being one of them.

The record itself is full of foreboding, and is a little chilly and mechanical, which, of course, it's meant be, but the end titles JULIA, is sublime.

Verdict? Doublepluss good :)

Still lots of Titanic and Back to Titanic. I go through stages when I just binge these two album. Mightn't listen again for six months but when I do I'll binge it again. 

"The Portrait" is a current favourite cue. 

I am largely allergic to Titanic thanks to the Celine Dion's oversaturated song rendition of the love theme, which I find in itself too sugary for my tastes.

Binged on the grand finales of each and every of JNH/Shyamalamadingdong's collaborations (sans After Earth) and his Disney animated scores last night. Boy the composer had some brilliant musical opportunities with these films. Orchestral fireworks!

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

I am largely allergic to Titanic thanks to the Celine Dion's oversaturated song rendition of the love theme, which I find in itself too sugary for my tastes.

I actually listened to the song today (I usually skip it). So 90s America style. 

Thankfully it hasnt ruined the love theme for me. The Portrait is soectactual (and I think it's actually Horner playing the piano). 

The song is trash though. The lyrics are awful and Celine Dion's accent makes them even worse.

I'm hard-pressed to find one element in Titanic's score that satisfies me, save for the one long-ish cue called 'An Ocean of Memories' (and even that isn't something Horner hasn't done better). All the rest was done to serve a man with horrible taste in music - or what he considers 'popular' musical choices. Horner is just pro enough to still get some classical flow into it (still the action music is mostly hackneyed, lacking direction and going forward on the questionable strength of random ostinato figures wholly in service of an Avid machine).

If i had to choose one musical cue that Horner did for the project i'd go for a wonderful horn lament called 'A Shore Never Reached' ('Back to Titanic'). 

15 minutes ago, publicist said:

still the action music is mostly hackneyed, lacking direction and going forward on the questionable strength of random ostinato figures wholly in service of an Avid machine).

I like the bit when the ship splits in two.