What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Rise of the Guardians is a very good score from Desplat but as publicist says it does have the trouble of sounding like other composers in places. I think the 67 minutes of the material is also all you need from the score as the FYC 53 track version drags because of the short repetetive cues and it is only 14 minutes longer than the OST anyway. Desplat has done a good job building the album here.

Pub saying good things about a score? Most people will probably skip this post, I guess.

I do often in this thread...i don't usually take the time to write about stuff sucking balls.

Fellowship of the Ring the Complete Recordings by Howard Shore: I listened to this yesterday in one glorious immersive go.

Now continuing with TTT

:music: Uglúk's Warriors

Any comments, Mr. Olivarez?

Karol - still waiting for the delivery

Excellent, while there is music carried over from Die Hard, it's still a brand new score. I hated that the original DH 2 album left off the fight on the wing. There's a lot of unused music for that sequence. I wonder if Kamen scored a longer version or the scene wasn't finished and he scored a blank screen. I haven't read the liner notes yet.

But it sounds great. Now someone bring on DH 3.

Got to keep everything organized, man. It's convenient not to have to go through the grid of albums, have albums reorganized into chronological order and eliminate source tracks, alternates and other tracks I don't want to listen to.

Too general for me. I've got over 200 albums of JW music and typically I don't just put on any one of those albums, I need to make adjustments, rearrange and delete certain tracks and bundle scores from various sources, like E.T. I keep albums, recording sessions and other bootlegs separate and like I said, I usually don't listen through any of those. I'll occasionally do the remaster or album of E.T., but I usually want the complete version comprised of various sources. That's where these wonderful playlists come in handy.

The Wind and the Lion - Goldsmith

I'm listening to a 14 minute suite, and it's just so wonderful and unbridled Goldsmith at his best. It's utter perfection.

Is it a concert suite?

Since moving to a perfect slice of suburbia in southern California, I am constantly reminded of the Amazing Stories end credits. Being among my favorite anyway, I've been playing those scores a LOT lately. I dig the McNeely recording of The Mission despite having the original versions. In fact, I feel the brass is much stronger at points in his. A prime example is the end titles. On Williams' original, the piano is more prominent, on McNeely's, it's the brass. They both sound great. Those 30 seconds just define why I love John Williams.

yea the Amazing stories scores by Williams are great stuff. Never heard the McNeely re-recording actually, I should check it out

Absolutely. It's totally worth it. I had that one before the original recordings were released. It's one of my very favorite Varese CDs.

I second that! :thumbup:

Die Hard 2: Die Harder by Michael Kamen

If James Bond was to ever fall out of grace, start drinking cheap booze and smoke heavily (and generally be miserable), he would have sounded something like this! Loving it, just as Trent promised.

(Now that I've typed the above paragraph, it feels very funny Kamen to go score a very particualar Bond film.)

Karol