What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

yes we all must die, except for Stefan, who is immortal. Except he uses Ibuprophan.

Behold a God who uses Ibuprophan. :eh:

All this talk of Alien sequels goes right over my head, since in my world there were only ever two movies.

The same goes for Jaws*.

*Mostly I struggle to remember Jaws even got sequels. Mostly.

The only Jaws film I've seen is the first one.

Karol

Jaws 2 isn't that bad, it's got Williams, Roy Schieder, Murray Hamilton, Lorraine Gary and Jeffery Kramer back.

The only bad thing is that it's hard to be suspenseful when you already know what it is.

But as Joe says, it has one of the greatest taglines ever.

He is a horrible director. imho. I've never truly enjoyed one of his films, 7 coming the closest, though it lacked something. I'd rather be a victim in the Saw films than to ever have to sit through Benjamin Button again. I think facebook is a waste of time, so there is no way in hell that I want to see a movie about it.

That's fine, but with Alien 3 he wasn't even signed on from the beginning. The movie went through so many script and director changes that he was brought in last minute, and even then he only got to shoot on a scene by scene basis. He left the production after filming and never looked back.

Who was it that said Alien 3 was one of the best shot, worst films made? Elliot Goldenthal's score and the cinematography are outstanding.

I'm going to wade in, here, with some thoughts about "Alien 3".

Upfront, I'll say that it is my favourite Alien film - not the best; that's the original - but my favourite.

I do not regard myself as a sad, or morbid person, but I just get off totally on the loneliness, and despair, and the sense of "being fucked" - as Fincher put it - of the whole enterprise. It's as if I can feel Ripley's hopelessness at knowing that there is absolutely nowhere that she, nor anyone else can run to; nothing that anyone can do to help themselves. I will admit that I shed tears when Ripley died. Perhaps I was just relieved for her sake that her struggle was over, perhaps it was the combination of seeing her finally (at the cost of her life) defeat the thing that had been in her life for so long that she couldn't remember anything else. Ccertainly Eliot Goldenthal's desperate, and overpowering score helped to heighten the emotional impact of that scene.

The whole film has a tired feel to it, and perhaps this is in part due to the considerable trouble that Fincher et. al. had in making it. Who knows what it would have been like if Vincent Ward had helmed the film, and kept to the wooden monastery idea? We can only guess.

Personally, I think that Fincher - and especially Terry Rawlings - did a good job in shaping the film into something that is as good as it is. Having said that, I will no longer watch the theatrical version (I don't dislike it; it's just redundant).

It was a sad end to the trilogy; there was no happy ending, no walk into the sunset. Life's like, sometimes. Still, I find it enjoyable and rewarding to watch. To me, the film is populated with real, flawed people, who, despite their circumstances, try to overcome a very bad situation - much like the people who made it - and for that alone, recognition is due.

He is a horrible director. imho. I've never truly enjoyed one of his films, 7 coming the closest, though it lacked something. I'd rather be a victim in the Saw films than to ever have to sit through Benjamin Button again. I think facebook is a waste of time, so there is no way in hell that I want to see a movie about it.

That's fine, but with Alien 3 he wasn't even signed on from the beginning. The movie went through so many script and director changes that he was brought in last minute, and even then he only got to shoot on a scene by scene basis. He left the production after filming and never looked back.

he's still guilty, and the penalty should be death (preferably)

Hmm, why do you HATE Fincher, Joe?

I think facebook is a waste of time, so there is no way in hell that I want to see a movie about it.

I think sharks are a waste of time, so there is no way in hell that I want to see a movie about them.

Who was it that said Alien 3 was one of the best shot, worst films made? Elliot Goldenthal's score and the cinematography are outstanding.

Not me; I never found it that bad. I admire the cinematography and score, and for quite some time, it ranked clearly higher for me than Aliens. I haven't seen either in several years, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of them after watching the Blus.

@Joey: Hating facebook is not a good reason to avoid the film- the makers of the films kinda do, too.

@Mark: I believe Roger Ebert called it the best looking worst film he'd seen, or something of the sort.

Alien: Wow! That's more like it! It simply looks mind-boggling on Blu-ray. This is a movie from 1979? No way! Thanks to the HD transfer, you can almost feel the texture of everything that appears on the screen. It does so much for the atmosphere, you have to see it in order to believe it. Everything is more real, everything is so much more intense. The film thrives on atmosphere. Atmosphere and design. Just feast your eyes on the strange Metal Hurlant sets when Brett is looking for the cat. The production design is pure genius ... a work of art. The cinematography? Brilliant. It puts all the others of the franchise to shame. I know this film but seeing it again in perfect condition on Blu-ray was a real eye-opener. I was stunned at countless occasions. All the artistry, including the SFX, put into this film is so well done, it turns Alien into one of the most timeless films ever made.

Another strong quality of the film are the natural performances of the actors. Christopher Nolan was dead right when he said: "It's like Ken Loach in outer space." One thing became clear to me now, Sigourney Weaver gives her best Ellen Ripley performance in the very first film because here she's not treated as an icon yet. There's even a subtle hint of sex segregation in the workplace. Officially, she's second in command but she's still a woman in a men's world.

The standard action scenes of Alien3 bored me to death but I'm glad that wasn't the case here. These action scenes are different. They are weird and they even have a sexual undertone sometimes. Ripley sorta gets orally raped by a frustrated android. We see the tail of the alien slowly and suggestively going for Veronika Cartwright's crotch (and cut), ... The auto-destruction sequences are not that interesting to me and are the film's weakest moment.

All in all, watching Alien on Blu-ray was a fantastic experience and the best Alien experience I've had since 1979. Ridley Scott WAS a master.

Alex

It simply looks mind-boggling on Blu-ray. This is a movie from 1979? No way! Thanks to the HD transfer, you can almost feel the texture of everything that appears on the screen.

I felt the same way the first time I saw Patton on Blu. Though that's even older. :)

Flash Gordon (1980)

A typical Dino De Laurentius film of the time. A script with barely a story, but filled with camp. Wafer thin characters cheap looking sets and special effects, and a soundtrack by a band that was popular at the time.

And yet....and yet, it's very watchable. Yes it makes no sense most of the time. The characters are ludicrous and have no dimension at all (though Timothy Dalton really does try) and the pacing is so slow then it's a miracle no-one died of old age during the film.

But it's full of color, the script is cheerfully aware that it is silly, so are the actors (Brian Blessed is so over the top that it's priceless), and it has Queen going FLASH!....A-HAAAA!

Also Ornella Muti as Princess Aura looks so sexy in this film it's sinful. Quint should know exactly what I mean.

Also Ornella Muti as Princess Aura looks so sexy in this film it's sinful. Quint should know exactly what I mean.

I saw it in the theater at the time, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Ornella Muti.

I felt the same way the first time I saw Patton on Blu. Though that's even older. :)

But did you see Alien on Blu-ray already? The movie looks like it came off the editing table last year or something. I never saw anything like it. It makes Moon look crappy in comparison. And I'm not merely talking about the print either but also about the way the whole movie is designed.

I saw it in the theater at the time, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Ornella Muti.

Call me weird, but I always preferred the other one - no, not Melody Anderson, but the one who gets shot, and turns to black goo.

Weaver's performance in Alien isn't as strong as her performance in Aliens. It's so much deeper and stronger. She's still powerful but far less of a bitch.

I think facebook is a waste of time, so there is no way in hell that I want to see a movie about it.

I think sharks are a waste of time, so there is no way in hell that I want to see a movie about them.

This is the most stupid comeback ever, I've never thought of you as an idiot, but you just had an idiot moment.

I need to borrow that face palm cause I feel bad for you.

Weaver's performance in Alien isn't as strong as her performance in Aliens. It's so much deeper and stronger. She's still powerful but far less of a bitch.

This is the most stupid comeback ever, I've never thought of you as an idiot, but you just had an idiot moment.

Why, because you thought he was talking about Jaws? Jaws isn't a movie about sharks, it's about a shark.

Now Deep Blue Sea, there's a movie about sharks.

Why, because you thought he was talking about Jaws? Jaws isn't a movie about sharks, it's about a shark.

Now Deep Blue Sea, there's a movie about sharks.

who said I was talking about any movie.

How so? I haven't seen The Social Network yet, but it's not a film version of Facebook, it's a film about the backstory and the people involved in creating it. I expect it's about as much a "movie about facebook" as Jaws was "a movie about sharks".

Hmm, why do you HATE Fincher, Joe?

because he makes films that I just end up disliking to the extreme. Others don't but I do. I can't stand Alien 3(what a horrible mess), Benjamin Button (what a bore, he ages backwards but his life was boring), Fight Club(what a cheat), The Game (what an insult), Panic room wasn't good but it wasn't horrible. Se7en was a poor mans Silence of the Lambs. I love him in short video's where his visual style is up front, but the true creative control is in the hands of Madonna, Vogue, Oh Father, and Express Yourself. How can he make such great videos and such crappy movies.

"Deep Blue Sea" is a movie about 105 minutes long - all of them wasted. ;)

:lol: I love it. One of the few action flicks where all the women die and it's just a couple bros at the end. Fun ride.

Samuel L. Jackson has a surprising death scene in that one. Or am I confusing it with something else?

Karol

It had bigger sharks than Jaws, Samuel L. Jackson and MV score. What did you expect?

Karol

Bruce is 25 feet long and 3 tons.

Maybe, except the three sharks in Deep Blue Sea were genetically engineered to be much, much smarter than your average Mako.

A super-intelligent shark doesn't have to be big to be dangerous. It can settle for speed and cunning.

Pin three super-smart Makos on one great white and it doesn't stand a chance.

What's funny is that intelligence doesn't change anatomy. Sharks physically can't swim backwards. Deep Blue Sea is a fun popcorn flick, with a good score from Rabin to boot. A little Jaws-like homaging and that cool theme from Shrek and multiple other scores = Awesomeness

Into the wild. (2007)

Approached the subject sensitively and looked at events in other ways than just practicalitys.

The movie is excellent in surprising ways.

DBS is crap, but it's enjoyable crap, certainly more so than a lot of those gloom-laden comic blockbusters from recent years.

I saw Facebook movie now and it was one of those agreeable, if, ironically, totally face-less Hollywood films with the proficient air of Grisham movies hanging around it. 30 years ago, this would've been a better Sidney Lumet film, or a polished Pollack one. The guy playing Zuckerberg looks positively more creepy than the real one. Normally, it's the other way around.

To gift-wrap the movie with a Sid-Fields-worthy story motor (jewish-nerd-getting-successful-because-cool-chick-rejects-him) is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally lame, btw.

Samuel L. Jackson has a surprising death scene in that one.

Did you really think that was surprising?

I've seen that film 12 years ago. At the time it was surprising.

Karol