Terrible rendition, EXCEPT for...

Quintus

, which is the most downright jaunty and joyful rendition of that intro I've ever heard. Even better than the original recording. A freak, surely!

Or are there more little instances like this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, which is the most downright jaunty and joyful rendition of that intro I've ever heard.

I love that bit in the Williams on Williams Boston Pops recording. I've never heard woodwinds sound so "fluffy".

Ooh, good one.

The City of Prague finale from Last Crusade, except for the grail theme when the knight waves.

The City of Prague slow dance version of Superman Love Theme (soo painfully slow it's around 6:00 in length), except for a passage 3/4 of the way through where the slow tempo really works for it.

Prague's recording of The Temple of Doom's end credits is so-so, except for the love theme section which I think is brilliant. The slower tempo works well, and despite the generally poor mix of most of the track (mainly the brass), this section sounds great. Dare I say it, I even prefer it to the original.

, which is the most downright jaunty and joyful rendition of that intro I've ever heard. Even better than the original recording. A freak, surely!

I thought it was a charming interpretation!

Prague's recording of The Temple of Doom's end credits is so-so, except for the love theme section which I think is brilliant. The slower tempo works well, and despite the generally poor mix of most of the track (mainly the brass), this section sounds great. Dare I say it, I even prefer it to the original.

The opening seconds are very useful too :o

The jauntyness of this version undoubtedly stems from the fact that the oboe line is given to clarinet instead (Williams's arrangement has oboe and flute trading solo passages). Also, the rhythms and pitches are changed: Originally, the run is a sixtuplet (G-A-B-C-D-E) starting on beat 2. This re-arrangement has the run in semi-quavers, the first of which is silent, starting on the first beat (the notes being G-A-B-C-D-E-F). Given that the run leads to an F#, the latter version's preceding F natural lends a slightly more breezy, jazzy feel. Hence it sounding more jaunty. But it really is a different arrangement altogether.

The jauntyness of this version undoubtedly stems from the fact that the oboe line is given to clarinet instead (Williams's arrangement has oboe and flute trading solo passages). Also, the rhythms and pitches are changed: Originally, the run is a sixtuplet (G-A-B-C-D-E) starting on beat 2. This re-arrangement has the run in semi-quavers, the first of which is silent, starting on the first beat (the notes being G-A-B-C-D-E-F). Given that the run leads to an F#, the latter versions preceding F natural lends a slightly more breezy, jazzy feel. Hence it sounding more jaunty. But it really is a different arrangement altogether.

Cool, thanks for the technical info!

There are some good Prague versions of JW.

The Towering Inferno Main Title

Sugarland Express Theme

Dance of the Witches

Black Sunday, Rare Breed and Jane Eyre suites

Dry Your Tears, Afrika

Family Plot Finale/End Titles

Main Title & Storm Sequence

There are some good Prague versions of JW.

The Towering Inferno Main Title

Sugarland Express Theme

Dance of the Witches

Black Sunday, Rare Breed and Jane Eyre suites

Dry Your Tears, Afrika

Family Plot Finale/End Titles

Main Title & Storm Sequence

Ah, now, you might be right, there! I have not heard the 4-disc COP set, but anyway, wasn't "Black Sunday" from that set, the awful 1993 release? "TTI" main title is much better than the RNSO version. It would be nice to hear the "Dracula" stuff in digital stereo, instead of the audio fog that is the (so-called) original soundtrack.

Black Sunday was originally on the Silva Jurassic Park compilation. John Mauceri Sound of Hollywood version of Night Journeys is another re-recorded track from Dracula. And it is awesome.

• 3 years later...

I thought it was a charming interpretation!

I agree - I think it's a rather nice arrangement.

In fact my opinion is the exact opposite of Quint's - the woodwinds in the beginning are too much for me.