Complete Cue List: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jay

Concerning "High Bar and Ceiling Tiles", the middle section in the film where it's silence and Malcolm says "They cut you from the team?", is that supposed to be silenced? And where the Ceiling Tiles section starts, it has the exact same opening fanfare as the High Bar section does.

That's indeed supposed to be silence in that part, but the identical fanfare is incorrect. The first time you hear it, it's tracked - the real start of the cue is just a big BOOM on the timpani, followed by a single punctuated minor chord in the brass. (With the drum beat still going on, of course.) The second time, the one after the silence...that one is correct.

There is no film version, just the spielberg hack job. Williams only wrote one version of both cues (and every cue in this score for that matter)

That parenthetical statement is VERY close to being true. He wrote two endings to "The Saving Dart", one of which would have scored the entire final scene with the dinosaurs. The other was just a final chord that probably would have segued somehow into something else. But one chord is hard to classify as a true alternate. ;)

well i think the hack job works better emotionally

Most hack jobs for film scores in the final cut of the film suck. Nearly in every case, edits are covered up by sound effects (the Prequels being the worst offender).

I guess you prefer the "Ultimate Edition" of The Phantom Menace in that case too.

Don't listen to Faleel, Joe. Your edit is awesome, you did a really good job putting together all the various pieces you had to work with. And the original cue JW intended is great!

Don't listen to Faleel, Joe. Your edit is awesome, you did a really good job putting together all the various pieces you had to work with. And the original cue JW intended is great!

Oh, I didn't interpret it as an insult to my editing...and even if it was, that's hardly my favorite unused passage, even from this cue alone. :) I think the way it's edited in the film is probably more effective for the casual viewer, but I'm largely committed to capturing the composer's original intentions these days, even when it conflicts with an effective edit.

blumenkohl started a challenge to not listen to film music for 40 days, and Luke Skywalker is part of it

and i wasnt insulting Data's editing its actually very good, i was just stating that the i prefer the film edit

Random question: Where can I find the sheet music for The Lost World? I have a Casio keyboard and would like to try to play some of the cues on it...

EDIT:

I was listening to Datameister's mockup of High Bar and Ceiling Tiles. At the end there is the short clip that plays while they are in the helicopter and Kelly cries... "That's one souvenir they won't be taken with 'em." It still has the helicopter noise, and I tried to make a mock-up of just that little segment. I don't have the sheet music, so I made it by ear. I was thrilled when I was finally done :D

What do you all think?

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e2be97c6.html

ANOTHER EDIT:

Sheet music reports that The Lost World theme song was to play in the End Credits. When this is put back in the credits, there's about three minutes of silence while the credits go on. I understand that John Williams re-recorded the Jurassic Park Theme as well, but that track is nearly 6 minutes long. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Two questions for the Lost World experts ;):

Are all statements of the Lost World theme from the movie released?

Do you know or have a high quality recording of the unique concert performance of the Lost World Theme with the special opening and the slight differences in orchestration?

yea... the Lost World Theme is actually only featured in TWO cues in the complete score - To The Island and Heading North (which were combined to make Malcolm's Journey on the OST).

All other appearances of that theme in the movie were tracked from one of those 2 cues or the concert arrangement.

I have a recording of the live concert version, but I wouldnt call it high quality by any means

I looked quite a bit on the net. i couldn't find a single release with this amazing 4:04 minutes concert version. Considering that it is by far

better than the album version that's a colossal pity ...and the 98 live recording probably was recorded with a camera judging by the low quality

I mean just the new opening is extremely kickass and then then the revised ending at 3:24!

If someone of you knows a better quality recording of this piece please tell us

yea... the Lost World Theme is actually only featured in TWO cues in the complete score - To The Island and Heading North (which were combined to make Malcolm's Journey on the OST).

All other appearances of that theme in the movie were tracked from one of those 2 cues or the concert arrangement.

There's also the variations toward the end of "The Saving Dart", before the piano solo starts. Quite a different sound, though, of course. So we have four (and a half?) cues that contain the theme in some form:

* "To the Island"

* "Heading North"

* "The Saving Dart"

* "The Lost World"

* "End Credit Intro" (sorta...it's the intro to the theme, but not the melody itself...hence the "half")

Data are you referring to 1:28-1:51 of The Saving Dart? (OST track 14)?

I'm sure there are versions of the concert arrangement on youtube!

That's just the last part of it. It starts earlier than that...around 0:52. It's not a straightforward statement of the theme by any means, but it's definitely a variation on it. :)

That's just the last part of it. It starts earlier than that...around 0:52. It's not a straightforward statement of the theme by any means, but it's definitely a variation on it. :)

Did you ever finish your edit?

Is there no recording in at least a comparable quality to a 320 kbps mp3 out there from the live concert version?

Check out Erich Kunzel & Cincinnati Pops' version on The Great Movie Scores from the Films of Steven Spielberg compilation CD. It's the Signature Score edition, even though Kunzel takes it at a very fast tempo.

That is an incredible performance/recording. I listen to it more than the OST version. I also prefer the concert arrangement, though it would be great to hear a recording by Williams.

• 1 month later...

So back to the complete score... more of you should have heard this now (no, the recording sessions haven't leaked, i'm talking about a fan edit made with dvd rips and mockups)

Any thoughts?

I think the score is brilliant. I love following the development of the 4note theme throughout the score. It's amazing how many instances of it were cut from the film or OST or both

I know the full recording sessions would be amazing, the fan edit just makes me want them even more than I already did!

It is a brilliant score in that it has such a classic JW sound but he is going in a complete new direction with the music and obviously enjoying it.

And yes the new 4-note theme is, as I have said before, a backbone of the entire score with all kinds of permutations developing throughout the film.

The complete score with those DVD rips and mockups fills some previously blank spots and reveals a lots of new details in the orchestration and music. I love the darker churning and brooding material full of great earthy orchestral textures mixed with the groovy jungle percussion. Williams' cue titles have almost Giacchino level of puns. :lol:

I just might write a complete score analysis when I have time for it.

I've always loved it, but yes, it's brilliant. I don't know if its better than the original score, but its sure as good. And takes more risks, which is always a welcome thing in Johnny's blockbuster scores.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I should bump this.

After studying the entire cue - Rhialto Ripples is heard in (almost all) its entirety in the film. Yep, including the much sought after 'Tembo loads the dart' music. The 'chase' part of the cue is not tracked.

A lujon is a sort of metallic bass marimba. Listen to it here, at the bottom of the page.

Its name comes from the percussion instrument played by Shelley Manne which was named "lujon" as a pun on "John Lewis" of the Modern Jazz Quartet, who commissioned its construction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lujon

Well, there's something heard for the duration of "Rialto Ripples", but up till that "chase" part of the cue (which is indeed not tracked), they fiddled around with it quite a bit. Sounds like they looped some bits and pieces of the cue or something...it's weird. Matches the length of the cue, but not the content. My edit reconstructs what it would have sounded like, based on the sheet music, using stuff looped in the film where possible.

I think I might have been the one who asked about the lujon, so thanks for the reply, although I've since found the same information on my own. :)

I think some of my favourite moments in the score are when Williams nods to other pieces.

First and foremost "Steiner in the Grass" is an OBVIOUS homage to "The Island" from the Original King Kong which, if you look at the story of TLW, its almost based on it and Williams being Spielbergs "Max," it only makes sense to give a nod to that.

Secondly, I love when nick is in "Camp Jurassic" and as the camera reveals the mural for the park as it was intended to be, you hear a direct lift from the score to JP in "Entrance of the Park." Which, for all those interested in a little side story, I emailed that guy who painted it (and the mural in the Visitor Center in JP) and here's a piece of that conversation:

"I'm afraid Hollywood doesn't need dinosaur artists to inform their design teams any longer--everyone's familiar with the material now. The following Jurassic Park movies didn't result in any work for me--apart from a poster on the wall in Jurassic Park II that I sold Amblin for $15.00. I met the producer of the third Jurassic Park movie a few years ago who mentioned how everyone had used my books as resources for their designs. I suggested he hire me next time--and that I liked doing books because it allowed me to direct. Doubt I made a good impression.

Best,

Doug Henderson"

Another great moment for me in is, of course, the arrival at the Jurassic Park: San Diego facility. Great moment. (It's only a model. Shh!)