What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Last night, I beat:

Review: Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - Hardcore Gamer

Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition, Switch)

I liked it, but didn't love it.  My favorite genre of game of late has been Metroidvanias and I was really looking forward to this one; It certainly didn't disappoint for a while, with a great opening, great art, great music, and decent beginning to the metroidvania pattern of exploring, finding upgrades, unlocking new areas, finding secrets, etc.

But as the game went on it somewhat drastically shifts from Metroidvania into pure action platformer.  At first it was decently integrated but by the end I was extremely frustrating with the long chase sequenes that you have to do in entirely without dying - no checkpoints provided along the way.  I like a decent challenge as much as anyone (I beat Celeste with no assists) but these seemed to come out of nowhere in this game and just weren't integrated well into the game flow, IMO

Despite these complaints there are numerous standout sequences, like when you have to sneak past the evil owl lurking in the background

Ori And The Blind Forest Gameplay #14 Escape From Kuro The Owl - YouTube

But damn, eventually I grew to hate endless rooms full of spikes you have to carefully maneuver through just to get on with things

GUG Plays: Ori and the Blind Forest - Geeks Under Grace

Overall, still a good game, still worth playing, but not a "great" game in my book.  The original score is TERRIFIC though, and I'll be checking it out on Spotify now that I've beaten the game, and the art was great throughout.  Controls weren't bad either (not as buttery smooth as Hollow Knight, but most games aren't).

I'll probably still play the sequel to see if they improved on the formula to my liking.  I heard there was less escape sequences, so that's nice

The Last of Us Part II has gotten over 200 GotY awards. 

Hopefully this will result in a Part III or at the very least a Left Behind style DLC. 

I want moar. 

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Game was bloated enough, no more story!

I’m anticipating their multiplayer mode Factions. Hopefully that comes out this year. 

They seem to be brewing something quite ambitious, or at least that's how it sounds, judging by the hints. I hope it's quite expansive, and not just your usual tit-for-tat on tightly constructed geometry. 

As for single player, I'm yet to fully share my final thoughts on it. It is undeniably a very good game, but I think the first game is a much tighter playthrough. 

Regardless, Abby is one of gaming's great characters, playable and none. I was actually quite disappointed when I found out her likeness doesn't actually exist in the real world, like other game avatars often do. Such facial character, she deserves to. She feels real. 

Edit: after a second quick search on google, I discovered her character was actually based on the likeness of makeup artist Jocelyn Mettler:

Ct2uWqH.jpg

This is heartening to learn!

I'd automatically assumed that the voice actor, Laura Bailey, would have been the reference, which is silly I guess. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

They seem to be brewing something quite ambitious, or at least that's how it sounds, judging by the hints. I hope it's quite expansive, and not just your usual tit-for-tat on tightly constructed geometry. 

As for single player, I'm yet to fully share my final thoughts on it. It is undeniably a very good game, but I think the first game is a much tighter playthrough. 

Regardless, Abby is one of gaming's great characters, playable and none.

The original multiplayer is one of my favorites ever. I hope that level of required teamwork and slow drawn out gameplay returns.

Agreed on everything else. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'm currently playing Rage 2. The combat is exquisite. 

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Seemed to fly under the radar at the time. The open world nature of the game seems unnecessary and redundant. Could have made for a tight moment-to-moment FPS like Doom. 

A fun videogame-themed tribute to Alex Trebek for the airing of his final episode yesterday.  I owned Jeopardy games for NES, Wii, and Wii U over the years.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/01/what-i-learned-playing-30-years-worth-of-jeopardy-video-games/

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Why? I immediately thought of Dead Space upon seeing the glowing bar on the back of the neck. Nice to see a spiritual successor from the original creator. 

Did you ever play the third one? I'm thinking about picking it up for the co-op.

17 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Did you ever play the third one? I'm thinking about picking it up for the co-op.

I played the first two, and like the first hour or so of the third game. Something interjected that I can’t recall and I never went back. It’s supposedly ruined by EA’s greed, and is the reason the franchise died. 

15 hours ago, Quintus said:

Thanks. I hate it.

Jesus!

17 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I played the first two, and like the first hour or so of the third game. Something interjected that I can’t recall and I never went back. It’s supposedly ruined by EA’s greed, and is the reason the franchise died. 

Probably just some fan bitching. EA has always put the players before profit.

I played a few hours of the game. It was very different to the first two, the creeping dread supplanted by Uncharted lite thrills, it felt like a different experience. It was an all out action game. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Why? I immediately thought of Dead Space upon seeing the glowing bar on the back of the neck. Nice to see a spiritual successor from the original creator. 

Sorry for my Reddit memery. It looks great. 

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Probably just some fan bitching. EA has always put the players before profit.

I was specifically referring to their inclusion of micro transactions in the third game. I honestly don’t remember seeing any, but I guess I never got that far into the game. 

I gave up on Rondo Of Blood (too hard) and started....

Castlevania SOTN - Juncture Media

Castlevania: Symphony of The Night

Holy hell, this is awesome

I can't imagine it being fun to play with touchscreen controls, but it controls well with the PS4 controller - I bought this edition for $10, and it's a well done port with added rumble support and some sounds come out of the controller too

I’ve got that collection as well but have yet to play it. Symphony Of The Night is consistently regarded as one of the best games ever made. 

On a side note, I’ve gone back to Destiny 2 and convinced a few friends to join me. I’ve become absolute shit at Crucible. 

When I think of "mobile gaming", I think of games made directly for smartphones, not ports of PS1 games that happen to now be available on android. 

But I guess if you get one of these things, it'd be similar to playing a metroidvania on a Switch

Amazon.com: ICESPRING Phone Clip Holder Clamp Mount Stand Bracket for Playstation  4 Slim Pro PS4 Wireless Controller: Computers & Accessories

The screenshots I saw of the android port of SOTN showed on-screen touch controls

ESPmgPVU4AAWAu7.0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

On a side note, I’ve gone back to Destiny 2 and convinced a few friends to join me. I’ve become absolute shit at Crucible. 

I absolutely wreck in PvP but I've stopped playing the game again while Stasis is a thing. I'll go back eventually, after they nerf its abilities into oblivion, which Bungie will. It has been a deeply unpopular addition as far as the Crucible goes. Ruins the entire experience for me. 

38 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I absolutely wreck in PvP but I've stopped playing the game again while Stasis is a thing. I'll go back eventually, after they nerf its abilities into oblivion, which Bungie will. It has been a deeply unpopular addition as far as the Crucible goes. Ruins the entire experience for me. 

Is that a recent addition? Definitely wasn’t in the game when I last played; and yes, it’s OP. 

I’m liking Gambit a lot. 

15 hours ago, Jay said:

When I think of "mobile gaming", I think of games made directly for smartphones, not ports of PS1 games that happen to now be available on android. 

But I guess if you get one of these things, it'd be similar to playing a metroidvania on a Switch

Amazon.com: ICESPRING Phone Clip Holder Clamp Mount Stand Bracket for Playstation  4 Slim Pro PS4 Wireless Controller: Computers & Accessories

The screenshots I saw of the android port of SOTN showed on-screen touch controls

ESPmgPVU4AAWAu7.0.jpeg

I know the PS4 controller is compatible with lots of games on iOS. 

I’ve never tried it though as I’ve 0 interest in gaming on a smartphone. There’s just so many better alternatives.

I like some mobile games that are designed to be played entirely via touchscreen, and even with only one hand at that.  If I’m going to bust out a controller to play I might as well bust out a TV too IMO

In other news, the Lucasfilm Games branding is back

LUCASFILM GAMES BEGINS A NEW ERA
NEW SOCIAL CHANNELS, A SIZZLE REEL, AND MORE HERALD THE BRIGHT FUTURE OF LUCASFILM GAMES.
Lucasfilm’s legacy in gaming stretches back decades. And with Lucasfilm and the galaxy far, far away entering a new and unprecedented phase of creativity, so will the world of Lucasfilm Games — developed in collaboration with the finest studios across the industry.

StarWars.com is thrilled to reveal that Lucasfilm Games is now the official identity for all gaming titles from Lucasfilm, a name that encompasses the company’s rich catalog of video games and its eye toward the future. To mark this new era, Lucasfilm Games has launched social channels on Twitter (@LucasfilmGames) and Facebook (@LucasfilmGames), which will deliver breaking news and more directly to fans. You can watch a special sizzle reel celebrating the history of games from Lucasfilm below; the Lucasfilm Games logo, featured above, will appear in all future Lucasfilm Games titles.

Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on Lucasfilm Games!

https://www.comingsoon.net/games/news/1160246-lucasfilm-games-new-home-star-wars-games

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I miss Lucasarts. The little guy in the logo doing new fun game-specific things in the intros...

Nearly all of their classics are available for cheap purchase at GOG to work on modern PCs. 

I have fond memories of the LucasArts guy saying that word in the sing-song style. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Wojo said:

Nearly all of their classics are available for cheap purchase at GOG to work on modern PCs. 

And I have most of them!

I’m assuming Lucasfilm still owns all the IP for Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle etc. Hopefully the new studio gets around to exploiting those, as well as creating some new IP (though I doubt it).

I’d love to see a new Monkey Island one day. I really liked Tales, it was much better than the dismal Escape.

Ubisoft is making an open world Star Wars game.  The EA deal is finally over!

EDIT: apparently the EA deal stands until 2023, so don't expect any of these games before then

https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games-interview

Case in point, the huge news that Lucasfilm Games and Ubisoft are collaborating on a new story-driven, open-world Star Wars game. It’s a genre long-requested by fans, and will come to life via Massive Entertainment, Ubisoft’s critically-acclaimed studio based in Malmö, Sweden. “We’re really excited about an opportunity to work with the team at Massive, led by David Polfeldt and the creative director, Julian Gerighty. We’ve spent almost a year now, working to get to know them and what they want to bring to the table,” Reilly says. “I’m a huge fan of them, personally. I think we’re really excited about where that project is going, because they have a unique vision for the story and the game they want to deliver.”

Of course, Ubisoft and Massive Entertainment are renowned for their expertise in developing immersive worlds, and in pushing the boundaries of technology with their proprietary engine, Snowdrop. “We know that fans of Star Wars value the feeling of immersion — of being transported into the Star Wars galaxy and moving through richly-detailed environments. It’s fun to imagine what the team at Massive can do within Star Wars by bringing their innovative spirit and their commitment to quality,” Reilly says.

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

EDIT: apparently the EA deal stands until 2023, so don't expect any of these games before then

:crymore:

Finished Jedi Fallen Order. Pretty good game. Only bosses I had problems with is Gorgora, the flying monster thing  and Oggdo Bogdo at the beginning of the game . Beat the final boss in 1 try.

There was one weird jump in a platforming section I couldn't do and had to look it up

it was on Dathomir escaping the brother village I think. You had to jump early for some reason and I couldn't make it across the gap if I  waited at the last second to jump (contrary to all the other jumps in the game) .Supposedly a badly designed section.

I also had to look up where the last stim was. The one in the Excavation Site where you slide up a cable and supposed to land on a narrow beam to find the room .It's near impossible to find because you can't see the beam and normally you jump over it unless you know it's there

At the end I was missing 2 secrets on zeffo, but guides aren't really useful because the map is complicated and I didn't remember the ones I did find