GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I think it will still be one of the most talked about shows on the air at least through season 4, for sure! After that, who knows.

The song, Bear and the Maiden Fair, from the novel was really butchered in the end credits plus entirely at odds with the ending of the episode. That contrast just didn't work.

It was a fun song actually, and Djawadi always seems to pick one single theme from the episode for the end credits, so it was the natural choice. Only the modern arrangement was entirely at odds with everything else in the series.

Yes, they do now. But how many years that can last, you think? You overestimate public's attention, Jason. None of the shows in television's history ever secured soaring numbers for all its run. And this one ain't cheap.

You can't really compare it to most long running TV series, where the writers have to come up with new plots and concepts each season, and usually either run out of ideas or go over the top by trying to make everything bigger each time (I'm looking at you, 24). With GoT, five books are already written, so there's little danger of that. More threatening perhaps is the possibility that they may go through all five books before GRRM writes the next one.

I just saw episode 4. I have to say that this was perhaps the best one in this season thusfar. They have found a pretty good pacing here, advancing several major plots with substantial scenes. And the dialogue is absolutely terrific in this one as well. Some significant events took place. All around great episode with a brilliant finale. Even Djawadi got to flex some musical muscles there.

Also the wait is over. Beric Dondarrion is here!

Certainly the best one of the season so far and it belongs to the top five best episodes of the show. Djawadi did his best work in the season yet and the final two cues were really really good. I am also happy about Djawadis constant development of his thematic material like the Theon / House Greyjoy theme.

That was a fantastic episode! What I especially loved is the writing. The intelligent dialogue, the pacing and also the execution of it all. The production values are top notch (love the design for the Great Sept of Baelor). And that finale was the cherry on top.

Djawadi's music for most of its duration was insignificant. But that last cue was actually cool. Perhaps not impressive from a compositional angle, but its nice to have some real prominent colours in the schema of the music. That choral work brings the kind of power that I'd like to see more on screen. So kudos to Djawadi for that.

Episode 5: Fantastic. A beautifully balanced episode. Brilliant scenes and brilliant performances.

Indeed the women are well written in the novels and in the series although I find there is no shortage of interesting male characters either.

Also the wait is over. Beric Dondarrion is here!

FUCK YEAH! Forget Jorah, forget Jaqen: the Champion is here! I knew he would return! The legend is alive! Hope has returned!

Actually he reminds of Jorah a lot. Both in appearance and in the way he speaks. Oh but you haven't seen the 5th episode! Watch it BB, pronto!

Daenerys is a character that actually has an enormous growth story but it makes such long pauses it becomes a bit long winded after a while. I actually agree that Martin and the writers of the series should have made her "lessons in life" a bit faster.

But she isn't too bad on the eyes. ;)

Deanerys' storyline is the one I anticipate the most (mostly in the novels). Sure she has moments where the story doesn't necessarily push forward, but her immense character growth is o e of the series' big high list imho. The actress also delivers one of the best performances on the series. And when she has her moments, its awesome!

That, and as Incanus said, she's not too bad on the eyes ;)

I recently finished season 2 (more detailed thoughts to come later)

I felt Deanerys storyling would have been great if it was presented split up into maybe 4 episodes total. It felt stretched spreading her story out into 8 episodes. I hope she has more to do in Season 3

Deanerys' storyline is the one I anticipate the most (mostly in the novels). Sure she has moments where the story doesn't necessarily push forward, but her immense character growth is o e of the series' big high list imho. The actress also delivers one of the best performances on the series. And when she has her moments, its awesome!

She's my favorite character but my motives are probably extremely rare and strange. You see, I'm generally not a fan of the Fantasy genre, but when I see her with the baby dragons on her hand and shoulders, I'm completely mesmerized. It delivers such a magical and yet believable view, it almost makes me want to go to the next Fantasy Fair. She's responsible for the most unique, enchanting and fairiest Fantasy moments of the entire show.

Jon Snow with the boring Wildling girl ... now that is what I call "boring".

Alex

She's my favorite character but my motives are probably extremely rare and strange. You see, I'm generally not a fan of the Fantasy genre, but when I see her with the baby dragons on her hand and shoulders, I'm completely mesmerized. It delivers such a magical and yet believable view, it almost makes me want to go to the next Fantasy Fair. She's responsible for the most unique, enchanting and fairiest Fantasy moments of the entire show.

Jon Snow with the boring Wildling girl ... now that is what I call "boring".

Alex

Daenerys really is more part of the Fantasy than most of the other character and some of her scenes indeed produce those most palpably powerful fantasy moments in the show. On the whole they treat the fantasy elements rather subtly apart from the White Walkers and the dragons, which have been used to full extent only a couple of times.

Oh and I think that the Jon Snow/Ygritte relationship didn't quite get the set up and build-up it deserved.

My thing with Daenerys is that I don't know what to make of her. I can't empathize with her. Her obssession with reclaiming and conquering Westeros is a bit alien to me. I can't hate her either: I love to hate Cersei or Joffrey or other characters that are very entertaining. I also find it difficult to look at her objectively for the outside as a flawed character but seemingly competent in some areas, like Stannis for example.

All I know is that I'd fuck her. Which doesn't do a lot for the character.

The geographical detachment of her storyline doesn't help a lot either. I like Mormont though. The whole dragons idea... I don't know. Daenerys could be a total Mary Sue, but she still doesn't feel like one.

On Jon Snow and the redhead: maybe she should have fallen off a cliff or something.

Watched episode 6. In my opinion so far the weakest episode of the series. And not only because barely anything important happened. There was something awkward about the writing that I can't quite put my finger on.

Karol

Oh, and surprisingly,

I was a bit saddened by Ros' death. I was slowly starting to like her. Bah! She was an invented character for the show! She deserved her fate!

I really liked her. What a pity...but it made for a great finale to the episode!

I didn't think the episode was weak, it wasn't the best of the season, but it was still great. I really liked the banter between Lady Olenna and Tywin. And I also like the whole relationship between Tyrion and Cersei.

I really liked her. What a pity...but it made for a great finale to the episode!

I didn't think the episode was weak, it wasn't the best of the season, but it was still great. I really liked the banter between Lady Olenna and Tywin. And I also like the whole relationship between Tyrion and Cersei.

Yes the episode was far from weak. No utterly dramatic advancements in the plot but there were some really nice character building scenes in this one.

I really liked the banter between Lady Olenna and Tywin.

Yeah. It made for a great battle of wits.

And Tywin lived up to his reputation. For the win!

I really liked the banter between Lady Olenna and Tywin.

Yeah. It made for a great battle of wits.

And Tywin lived up to his reputation. For the win!

He sure did! There is only one person who can stand up to Tywin (for the win!), and for the moment, that person is hiding in the forest with his buddies.

Tywin seems to be the only competent Lannister. Sure he is a horrible father but boy he knows how to rule.

I loved the rare upbeat moment in the show when

Jon and Ygritte look down from the wall in beautiful sunshine. The episode was a good transitioning episode although with some structural problems which make it a bit weaker than the 3 episodes before it.

I am sure it's one of those episodes that will work far better when watched back to back on the Bluray box.

I'm really happy with the music so far this season. Even compared to the new Star Trek score or the atrocious Man of Steel Thrones offers more variety, more themes and motifs and all in all shapes up to be quite epic in terms of scope over all the seasons.

The biggest weakness still seems to be the too stagnant action music.

The "themes" barely qualify as themes. And what's worse is that they aren't even scoring their originally designated places/characters accurately. In the last few episodes I heard Greyjoy music for the Starks (Karstark scene) and Stark music for King's Landing.

I do like the treatment of Daenerys' material though. Overall, this season is looking to have the worst music of the three.

What I was thinking is that the mentality that things need to have music even if it's unnecesary and even if the music is completely pointless hurts things, but barely anyone resposible actually thinks on this. No one with a say seems to notice it or if they do, have the chops to sort it out.

Something like Doctor Who's fairytale world might do with Murray Gold's absurdly epic music, but this is mostly a low key drama show of people talking and Djawdi's contribution feels pointless to me. You could have one of these groups of people that do medieval music add a cue here and there every now and then.

I think the music is the only real weakness of the show. I'm fine with the concept, it's inevitable I guess. But it sounds like a cheap synth scores from the 90's and doesn't measure up against show's excellent production values.

Karol

7th episode: Took a bit time to get it rolling but gathered nicely steam toward the end. This episode had some gratuitous sexposition once again. I guess they had to use it at some point.

The scene with Tywin and Joffrey was just pure gold! You can really see who has the real power in the 7 kingdoms. :D