GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

A poster on IMDb has been answering questions about the final episode, which he claims to have seen. He's largely being derided as a fraud on the message boards, but I find both the manner and content of his posts to have the ring of authenticity...

For the first time ever, we were able to watch Game of Thrones live tonight!

We don't have HBO; We don't even have cable. We pay Comcast $29.99/month for internet and that's what we use to get all our content (we also have an HD antennae for live TV of the big six networks + their secondary channels). Well Marcy got a call this week or last from ComCast inviting us to try this new site and they'll even give us $25 if we do. It's a site full of streaming TV shows and movies. Seems pretty comprehensive, but I haven't explored it too much yet.

So earlier tonight we watched Hannibal and then just for shiggles I went to see if the finale of GOT was available and it was, too! Pretty impressive; We were able to start watching before it had even finished airing on "real" HBO. I wonder if we could have fast forwarded to a point that hadn't aired yet?

Anyways, crazy episode!

I think Melisandre will revive Jon Snow somehow. Did Theon and Sansa jump into a big snow pile or something? Why didn't Arya kill the other guy AND the guy on her list? What was that ring Daenerys took off her finger? Why hasn't Jorah's stone-man condition been referenced in 2-3 episodes now?

What a cop-out to not actually show the Battle of Winterfell. I told ya'll it would happen!

I use HBOGO and I wondered the same thing tonight, if I could skip ahead.

Dany's ring was the one from Khal Drogo right? Maybe she figured this might be a competing Dothraki tribe and doesn't want to be associated with someone they might hate?

Pretty obvious that Melisandre will be bringing Jon back. Knew he was the one she was after, not Stannis. Poor Stannis.

"Killing" a character in a season finale is always such a bad idea, because we'll know if he's truly dead or not as soon as Season 6 starts filming. The actor will either show up to work or he won't!

That's what I figured too, that it was a ring from Drogo

I think Melisandre truly believed in Stannis, and truly thought he would take Winterfell.... until half his men left. Then she high-tailed it the balls out of there without a second thought

Too bad Brienne didn't have more to do this season. I hope she gets some cool stories next year

...we'll know if he's truly dead or not as soon as Season 6 starts filming. The actor will either show up to work or he won't!

If he shows up (for enough time) then, of course, we'll know Jon's not dead. If he doesn't show up, things might not be quite so simple.

Until recently, I thought there was virtually no chance of them going for this ending, essentially for the reason you gave.

I suppose if they are planning on sidelining him for most of Season 6 and having him come back only towards the end, they could film all his scenes in secret and have it be somewhat of a surprise.

It's funny, every time anyone has ever died on this show I never doubted that they were truly dead. But something about this one makes me think he might not be dead for the first time

So was the guy playing Qyburn's new Knight the same actor who played The Mountain last year?

So was the guy playing Qyburn's new Knight the same actor who played The Mountain last year?

Haha! I just checked the credits and his name is there.

...something about this one makes me think he might not be dead for the first time

I have the feeling that the story (in both the book and the TV show) has too much invested in the character and backstory of Jon Snow to throw it away at this time.

Also, Sam told us a few episodes ago that Jon "always comes back", an obvious in-joke between the writers and those viewers who knew what was coming. How the production team handles the aftermath, before the next installment, is going to be as interesting as the actual story!

I quite like the idea of the betrayal sending Jon over to the Other side.

We're now pretty much beyond the point where book readers know what's in store, in all major storylines (give or take a few details, perhaps).

Ho, here's some cool theories about what might happen to Jon Snow now

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/14/game-of-thrones-finale-jon-snow-dead_n_7557158.html?143433fs850&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024

I think the most interesting one is that he wargs into Ghost, the Night's Watch burn his body, but being a Targaeryn the body is reborn and he returns to it from Ghost....

However, the fact that Melisandre has just shown up, and she uses the same magic as that guy in the cave that resurrected that other dude a few seasons back, probably means that's the more likely way he'll be resurrected.

You know, out of all the season finales, I think this is the one where I am most looking forward to the first episode of next year, even though overall this was kind of the most subdued one, it felt like

Great stuff.

The season finales were never the show's best, but this is a damn fine one. Despite the somewhat struggling season, these last 3 episodes have really been some of the finest shows.

We book readers no longer have any advantage over the others I believe. We will be just as much in the dark about the next season as everyone else, unless they choose to go with some of the seemingly discarded storylines.

I think the most obvious and probably thing that will happen with Jon is he will live through Ghost, the name fittingly serving the vessel's purpose of carrying his spirit. Not to mention his warg-like potential has been teased at more in the novels. With Melisandre, I think she will try and resurrect Jon, but what we get isn't the Jon we know. As evidenced by Beric Dondarrion's own change after resurrection, and

Lady Stoneheart from the books.

So maybe the "real" Jon might live inside Ghost and witness an empty shell of his former self get resurrected.

Cersei's atonement was staged very well. Colour me satisfied, especially since that was one of my most anticipated scenes. And Daenerys' aftermath is done well too. I wasn't expecting them to show Daenerys' encounter with the Dothraki until the next season, but I'm glad they did. And good to have Varys back of course!

Great ending to a really strong season. Maybe slightly less balanced one but offering more development than the previous 2 years combined.

Karol

Well that was all pretty average and forced.

We didnt see the big battle for Winterfell, but that was fine. There was no one left to root for anyway.

Stannig survives, and Brienne just happens to find him, amodst the many thousands that lay dead. Did she kill him? Who know, who cares?

Meryn Trant beating little children, chosing the one who holds out the longest, probably to rape her later on. The scene where Arya kills him is vicious.

As is the humiliation of Cersei. Yeah she's an evil bitch. But this "atonement" goes on for too long, endless shots of a naked Cersei paraded around the streets being called a whore, cunt etc etc.

It's nice to see a villain get his or her comeuppance, but this is too much. Some shots clearly show the head of Lena Heady CGI's on some woman's body. I can't blame the actress for not wanting to do that scene in the nude herself.

GOT has always had a tendency of humiliating women, but it's slowly going too far.

Mycella dies. In the most clumsy and obvious way they could think of.. The lip kiss made me expect it. The weird and awkward scene between Jaime and her confirmed it. (GOT characters often die after an endearing character moment).

This was so obvious and forced! It's a trick the show has used too many times now. It's gotten boring and ineffective.

Deanerys kidnpped by the Rohirrim. Well I guess after 2 years in Mereen that needed a change. But wait, the Imp is still there, so next year Mereen and it's politics will still continue to bother us.

Oh and Jon Show dies, apparently for good?

Why?

Killing Ned in season 1 was dramatic and meaningful and helped set the story in motion. Red We3dding was sudden and shocking. But why this? Yet another character we invested years in killed out for the sake of what? To provide a dramatic closing shot of the season? With a show that's struggling to create new characters to invest in, what's the point of killing one of the few we still do give a damn about?

In the end a pretty lousy season. Two really great episodes (8 and 9), followed by one that seems to be all set up for next year.

I will have to think long and hard to decide if I will be back.

Pretty obvious that Melisandre will be bringing Jon back. Knew he was the one she was after, not Stannis. Poor Stannis.

If this interview is to be believed then Jon Snow is dead.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

Wow! That interview pretty much confirms it!

So I guess if the character of Jon Snow is resurrected, it won't be in Kit Harrington's body!

Jon being stabbed was something thats was pretty much coming. So as a cliffhanger its not all that great.

Stannis dying in this episode actually does make the sacrifice of last week a bit redundant. Emotionally there will be no follow up. Maybe it was done so we all had a reason to hate Stannis, and therefore it would be OK that Brienne killed him.

The actor playing Stannis does a good job in this episode btw. Nothing really phases him anymore. His wife kills herself, he barely reacts. He goes into battle, because there's no real way for him to turn back. But when the moment comes, there's no conviction in his eyes at all.

Yea he really didn't react much to his wife's death much at all did he

It seemed like from the moment half his army left, he knew it was over. I mean, Melisandre realized it and peaced out immediately.

I wonder if Martin will kill him off in Book 6, or keep him alive now just to be different than the show

Do you think Book 6 will also kill of Baristan Selmy before Tyrion arrives in Mireen?

We actually dont know if what Martin told the producers will happen is actually what he planned all along.

He might just follow through with his own plans and have the show do it another way.

Btw, regarding Cersei's nude scene. If you've seen 300 and one or two other movies she's done you will know that Lena Heady has a modest cup size.

The women they chose as her body double has not.

Were they trying to sex up a scene thats supposed to be all about degradation?

"The War of the Five Kings" was (1) Joffrey/Tommen Baratheon backed by the Lannisters and Tyrelles, (2) Renly Baratheon, and (3) Stannis Baratheon, who each thought they deserved to be the rightful king of all of The Seven Kingdoms; plus (4) Robb Stark who thought The North should separate and not be under the rule of The Iron Throne, and (5) Balon Greyjoy, who felt the Iron Islands should separate and not be under the rule of the Iron Throne (Actually, I think he wanted to eventually rule all of Westeros too?)

Well now Renly and Stannis and Robb are all dead. The North has been made part of the Seven Kingdoms again, with Roose Bolton granted the title of Lord of it.

So this just leaves the Baratheon/Lannister/Tyrelles vs The Greyjoys, right?

Why haven't we heard about the Greyjoys in a while? In Season 2 Balon sent Yara to mount some attacks on the North while Robb was busy in the south. Theon meanwhile took over Winterfell, but didn't get enough men from Yara to keep it after he goes too far by "killing" Bran and Rickon.

In season 3 we had to suffer through watching Ramsay torture Theon, and in the season 3 finale Balon and Yara receive his dick in a box and Yara vows to go rescue him. In season 4 we had that silly rescue sequence where Yara tried and failed to rescue him and that was about it.

But what's up? Why did all of Seasons 4 and 5 go by without showing Balon Greyjoy again? Is he alive? Is he still at war against the Iron Throne? Did the deaths of Joffrey or Tywin affect his plans in any way?

I have read that they are casting some Greyjoys for next season and that's cool, but wouldn't that have a been a better story to tell this season instead of the Dorne one? Hmmm.

Is it possible Daenarys will team up with the Greyjoys to attack King's Landing together?

In the books:

Balon Greyjoy dies around the same time Joffrey and Robb do. This seems to line up with the 3 drops of King's blood Melisandre pours in the fire. You are then introduced to several other Greyjoys who have their own story lines.

But maybe they just avoided all that to help cut the fat.

That's what I'm asking. Is Balon Greyjoy supposed to be alive or dead on the show? Is his army a faction in the war still, or does the death of Stannis effectively end The War Of The Five Kings in the show world?

So what majort characters are actually left in westeros that we can care about and feel invested in.

Sansa.

Samwell/Gilly

Brienne/Podric

Bran/Hodor

Ser Davos

And that's pretty much it, isnt it? The proble is that the Bran/Hodor storyline had already been dragging for about 2 seasons, and they didnt even feauture them this year.

Ser Davos was a major character in season 2, but has been very much on the sideline, no development worth speaking off.

Samwell/Gilly. They actually never were major characters, and I wonder of their role has ended.