GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

And thanks for your earlier links BB, I enjoyed reading through them.

I get the impression that the show makers are trying to advance the plots of who they consider to be the MAIN characters with every season, while allowing additional time for the die plots they can fit in.

So in other words, while they could have included the Aegon VI/Martell alliance and Greyjoy stories in Season 5, doing so would have meant less time for everything else, so they wouldn't have gotten to the same end point they would have for their main characters. So now by adding them into the next season, they can do so while still having the main characters reach the next big point of their character arcs.

Or something like that.

I get the impression that Books 4 and 5 have been Martin treading water / inventing new side-stories to fill pages while his characters age up to the age he wants them to be for the "third act" of his story. And it seems the problem is, by the time he was "done" with Book 5, he still hadn't gotten to the end of his Act 2, so it won't be until 1/3 or midway through Book 6 that he has all that stuff done and it finally kicks right into Act 3. He might even need an eighth book to finish his saga when all is said and done.

What this means for the show... I dunno.

Clearly its in Martin's best interest to finish Book 6 before next April!

Books 1-3 came out in '96. '98, '2000. Boom boom boom.

Then Book 4 took longer cause he thought he would introduce a 5 year jump before telling the end of his story, only to have to rewrite it all with newly invented events to just cover the gap in real time so it didn't come out until '05.

He thought Book 5 would be out in '07 cause he had so much of it written already due to taking half the characters out of book 4 and saving them for book 5, but it ended up taking even longer than the last gap and didn't come out until '11.

If he hadn't gotten caught up in his head about all this stuff - and the show hadn't come along - he'd probably be done with the series by around now or so. At the new rate he goes now, though, he might not finish the saga until the mid 2020s. If he's still alive!

It's not really clear how closely the remainder of the show will follow (the as yet unpublished) Book 6, let alone (the as yet unwritten) Book 7. I know Benioff and Weiss are eager to say how Martin has told them roughly where the major characters will end up in the story, but that could be at a really basic level for all we know (and subject to change in the books). In the case of Book 7, in particular, the question of whether it's "packed with important events" might be undetermined at the present!

There's still some stuff from Books 4 & 5 to be shown in the show (at the very least, we know the Greyjoys' storyline will be included somehow)

We know Greyjoys will be involved, but not necessarily much of the A Feast for Crows / A Dance with Dragons material associated with them.

Apart from Asha/Yara still hanging around in the North (a storyline which may well already be dead in the show), the major Greyjoy storyline concerns Victarion heading off to Meereen. As far as we know, Victarion will not appear in the show. Daario Naharis supposedly captured from the Meereenese navy the

exact number of ships that Victarion was bringing, which looks like a device to make his role largely redundant. The casting information suggests that Euron Greyjoy (whose presence in the books has been much more brief thus far) will be the major character in this respect.

In any case, I agree that it will run for more than seven seasons; it seems impossible to think they could wrap everything up in just two more! Whether they'll get all the way up to eight full seasons I'm less sure...

Or maybe they'll just give Victarion's role to Euron, as a red herring in casting calls.

;)

Heh...maybe. Though the latter is probably a much more interesting character.

Since the Reach looks set to be one of the new locations next year, I wouldn't be surprised if Euron's role involves attacking it.

Oh, come on! The last episode of season 5 had the best ratings since the show's inception! Season 6 & 7 would have to face a significant drop for HBO not to renew it for an eighth season!

Yeah, I wasn't talking about the possibility of HBO cancelling it, but rather about the plans of Benioff and Weiss.

Until they kill Tyrion and lose half of their audience!

I was actually wondering the other day whether they're bold enough to do that.

I mean, Robb was a pretty boring character...

Karol

Well that was pretty awesome in many parts BB, especially that ending. I wish Djawadi had the budget (and skills) to create something as driving and grand as Goldsmith's music you used here.

That had some pretty cool moments BB. Nicely done. Though I'm not a fan of this music really.

Not at all. Just that The 13th Warrior features some of Goldsmith's weakest and most neutered action writing.