The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

I wonder if the members of the Tolkien Estate have bothered to watch these new films. If so, I'd love to hear what'd they'd have to say about Tauriel :P

I think to shield the older members of Tolkien family from heart attacks they have not shown these films to them.

• 1 month later...

It's the one right in the middle(earth?), isn't he?

Karol

4th from the left in the middle row, the only dude with his mouth open

I am reading The Lays of Beleriand ;)

Shame that Tolkien never finished them in full.

• 2 weeks later...

So Christopher Tolkien succeeded in digging up yet another of his father's old works into the light of day. I have yet to explore the Fall of Arthur so I think this will make a great companion to get along with it. :)

That whole creation scene would actually be a fantastic bit to write a tone poem on. Choral ideas are already floating in my head!

Exactly! Open with warmer tones in the soprano/alto range with lots of 7ths and 9ths with tremolo-ing strings, and then bring in a more ominous cluster with the tenors for the "Melkor" bit, and start spreading polyphonic lines and aleatoric lines, crescendo-ing with the growing chaos. This would be followed by a boy soprano that leads all the sopranos and altos to coo on a single sonority (maybe A?) to represent Illuvatar's silencing of the chaos....

That's what I've got so far. Your turn TGP!

Wtf was that shit?

Looks like they are trying to Game-Of-Thrones-ize LOTR in videogame form.

That whole thing was so un-Tolkien.

Tolkien is whirring like a spinning top in his grave.

Not that spinning top! You ruined my mental image by introducing Inception meme into the equation!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a lovely edition of The Hobbit at the weekend. It's in a black case and contains: A small hardcover edition of the book, a copy of There and Back Again: The Map of Tolkien's The Hobbit, several postcards of his artwork from the book and a CD of Tolkien himself reading the Riddles in the Dark sequence. It was a second hand book sale but this set had obviously never been opened (the map was still in the shrink wrap). Not bad for €5. That's 6 copies of The Hobbit I now have,

EDIT: This is it here - http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=84260

My edition didn't come with the flyer for the films.

Bought a lovely edition of The Hobbit at the weekend. It's in a black case and contains: A small hardcover edition of the book, a copy of There and Back Again: The Map of Tolkien's The Hobbit, several postcards of his artwork from the book and a CD of Tolkien himself reading the Riddles in the Dark sequence. It was a second hand book sale but this set had obviously never been opened (the map was still in the shrink wrap). Not bad for €5. That's 6 copies of The Hobbit I now have,

EDIT: This is it here - http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=84260

Wow what a bargain! Which reminds me I should get the Annotated Hobbit ASAP! Also the hard back edition of the Alan Lee illustrated one!

Wow what a bargain! Which reminds me I should get the Annotated Hobbit ASAP! Also the hard back edition of the Alan Lee illustrated one!

I have both. The illustrated edition is definitely worth it's price. The Annotated version is worth twice as much as it costs. It's brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool indeed. And quite recognizable scenes despite the style. :)

• 3 weeks later...

More "alternative" Tolkien art, really evocative concepts for Silmarillion stuff. Never heard of this fellow before, Jacek Kopalski, but I've seen this first image around for years and always wondered who the artist was and if they'd done anything else.

melkor.jpg

tumblr_mgrxrjG0cV1s3bfgso1_1280.jpg

mahanaxar.jpg

I know that I'm just popping in here and way behind on every conversation so far on this thread.

So to put my post in perspective, I love JRR Tolkien as much as the next guy.

However...!!

All I ever hear about him is his LOTR work.

There's one work of his that I would to see turned into an animated film.

Father%2BChristmas%2BLetters.jpg

With its abundance of interesting, mesmerizing visuals (Northern Lights; use your imagination), and interesting potential story lines that can be inferred/dreamt up from the "letters" themselves, I can easily see it as a Dreamswork or Pixar film.

Thoughts?

Perhaps if they joined most of the letters into one long narrative it might make for a rather entertaining children's animated fantasy film. There is certainly great whimsical action and adventure involved although they would have to expand these rather small incidents that Father Christmas and the Polar Bear (Karhu, which is Finnish for bear btw) and his nephews and elves have with the goblins and in their normal bumbling Christmas routine.

A Dreamworks or Pixar film based on a Tolkien book? No thank you.

First of all, it's a children's book (and quite fun to read). So what if it's written by Tolkien?

The shadow of LOTR hangs heavy behind this author, and this book is here to step out of that shadow. I believe it would make for a great Christmas film.

Second, who would you suggest if not Dreamworks or Pixar?

There is certainly great whimsical action and adventure involved although they would have to expand these rather small incidents that Father Christmas and the Polar Bear (Karhu, which is Finnish for bear btw) and his nephews and elves have with the goblins and in their normal bumbling Christmas routine.

Well, the 1933 letter features an attack on Polar Bear by a band of Goblins, and this is before a future letter where the Goblins try to seize Father Christmas' workshop and consequently the North Pole (which in one letter, Polar Bear breaks). So therein would lie the central conflict of the story.

As far as expanding incidents would go, Father Christmas could have an internal struggle with whether or not Polar Bear ought to continue working in his workshop (what with all the accidents he causes), and at one point maybe even kick him out of the North Pole.

Has J.K Rowling ever voiced her opinion on John Williams's score? I'd be interested to hear what she thinks about it,

What does that have to do with J RR Tolkien?

Why would the fact that this is a children's book justify the use of 3D animation? Why does everything has to be 3D animation these days?

Why does the plethora of 3D animated movies out nowadays preclude the possibility of another 3D animated movie being produced? Customer preference, perhaps?

I'll admit, I'm not familiar with that book, but knowing Tolkien's writing style and universes he created, I think it would far better suited for 2D animation than 3D animation.

Well, you shouldn't make judgments about a book that you haven't read yet. Give it a read-through and see how Tolkien's writing style in this book compares to LOTR.

And don't get me wrong. I love traditional animation myself. However, objectively speaking, it is significantly more time-consuming to produce a 2D movie compared to the production of a 3D-animated movie.