R.I.P. Sidney Lumet

Sixers

"Sidney Lumet, a director who preferred the streets of New York to the back lots of Hollywood and whose stories of conscience — “12 Angry Men,” “Serpico,” “Dog Day Afternoon,” “The Verdict,” “Network” — became modern American film classics, died Saturday morning at his home in Manhattan. He was 86.

His stepdaughter, Leslie Gimbel, said the cause was lymphoma."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/movies/sidney-lumet-director-of-american-classics-dies-at-86.html

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy sh!t! I'm shocked! When I was a bit younger, Sidney Lumet was one of my favorite directors. Dog Day Afternoon made a big impression on me when I first saw it (I was merely a teenager). And many years later, Prince Of The City completely knocked me down.

RIP :(

He was a wonderful director. 12 Angry Men is one of my all time favourites.

Wonderful director, probably my favorite of the great American "actor's directors".

Here's a little interview that he did for Sight & Sound, from their "Best Music In Film" poll. Nice insights into his views on film music: http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/filmmusic/detail.php?t=d&q=26

Rest in peace, Mr. Lumet.

I just realised that apparently I haven't seen any of his movies. :(

You are kidding, right? That's like saying I'm into film music but I never heard anything from Williams or Goldsmith.

Must sees are:

Twelve Angry Men

The Hill

Dog Day Afternoon

Network (for once, let's trust Morlock)

Prince Of The City

Alex

A great director really, he was a master of lean-and-mean, no-frills, powerful filmmaking. Movies like 12 Angry Men, Network, Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon are some of the best examples of American cinema, imho.

RIP.

Never was a fan of the majority of his work, particularly Network. Though loved his earlier works, in particular - 12 Angry Men, The Hill, The Offence, Long Day's Journey Into Night, and of his later lot - Dog Day Afternoon stands head and shoulders above the rest.

And while he was never the most imaginative, or insightful director in the business, the guy had balls. To be able to produce so many films (many of them failures) in such short intervals, is... mind blowing.

RIP.

Even the sometimes derided Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was a worthwhile little thriller. Sidney never lost his touch.

To me that was like Sidney Lumet regained some of his old form. Still, a far cry from Prince Of The City. :up:

interview_Lumet-Prince.jpg It can't get more Lumet than this one.

I just realised that apparently I haven't seen any of his movies. :(

You are kidding, right? That's like saying I'm into film music but I never heard anything from Williams or Goldsmith.

Don't feel bad, Marian, I've also never seen any of his movies. I have heard of a few of them, but I never really got inspired to watch them. Nobody ever shoved one of his movies into my hands and said "watch this;" nobody ever said "let's go down to the cinema and watch a Sidney Lumet, it'll be fun;" I don't randomly pick movies to watch based on their directors the way I randomly select soundtracks based on genre or composer, though I sometimes do based on film genre or cast; and while flipping through channels, if I happened upon an S.L. movie, I didn't watch it long enough to get invested in its story or director, and then expand my horizons.

But lymphoma, now. That hits close to home. Rest in peace, sir.

:( 12 Angry Men is probably the greatest movie I've ever seen. An amazing movie about the importance of intellectual vigour in justice, and the dangers of thinking with emotion.

It should be required viewing for every jury.