The Godfather tops list of films people lie about seeing

A24

I put off watching the Godfather 1 and 2 for so long. I just had no intentions. I did finally see them though, truly amazing films.

I have absolutely no intentions of watching the 3rd one.

Then you're missing out a lot. THE GODFATHER PART III is the operatic, heartbreaking conclusion that the first two films deserved.

Maybe some day!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE GODFATHER PART III is the operatic, heartbreaking conclusion that the first two films deserved.

In a way I agree with the way you describe it (Operatic) in showing the utter futility and inveitable heartache of that whole game he was involved in.

But for me the constant distraction in that film for me was how truly wooden and unconvincing Sofia Coppola's acting was. It was cringe inducing at times.

Perhaps unfair considering her role was alongside veterans like Pacino,but due to that in itself it was probably unwise for Francis to throw her in the deep end for the closing chapter of the saga.

THE GODFATHER PART III is the operatic, heartbreaking conclusion that the first two films deserved.

In a way I agree with the way you describe it (Operatic) in showing the utter futility and inveitable heartache of that whole game he was involved in.

But for me the constant distraction in that film for me was how truly wooden and unconvincing Sofia Coppola's acting was.

Nah, she's convincing as a miserable teenager.

But for me the constant distraction in that film for me was how truly wooden and unconvincing Sofia Coppola's acting was. It was cringe inducing at times.

Again, while her acting is never on par with the rest of the cast, she is fairly harmless.

Everyone who ACTUALLY watched 2001: A Space Odyssey died of boredom.

For me it is good in how it steps outside of the usual pace of things,and the modern reference points of earthly life. Even the early scenes with the apes, it's taking place on an earth without familiar psychological time and the subsequent pace. Everything is going by the sun and the subtletys of the senses,etc. Later on in the film, the two guys on discovery, the whole pace is slowed right down. Rather hypnotic and pulls you into a whole new experience, especially all the silence of later stages of the film. For some, that's boring. For others, it was a refreshing expression in cinema.

For me, it was scary when I was a kid, and completely hypnotic years later. Basically it hits home with me. Lack of dialogue, cool visuals, breathtaking editing at times, apes four million years ago, artifacts made by aliens we never see, spaceships that could actually work, a wormhole, the moons of Jupiter... oh, it's got everything!

For me it is good in how it steps outside of the usual pace of things,and the modern reference points of earthly life. Even the early scenes with the apes, it's taking place on an earth without familiar psychological time and the subsequent pace. Everything is going by the sun and the subtletys of the senses,etc. Later on in the film, the two guys on discovery, the whole pace is slowed right down. Rather hypnotic and pulls you into a whole new experience, especially all the silence of later stages of the film. For some, that's boring. For others, it was a refreshing expression in cinema.

That's beautifully worded, Melange. And then there's also the glorious visual/aural aspect. Combined with the pace, they are propably the key to get into the hypnotic groove. It's not really the characters or their exciting adventures that immerse you into the film, it's everything else. It's the whole view on filmmaking itself. Of course, there are those who like the intellectual challenge of understanding what the film is all about but that never struck me as Kubrick's main intent. I'm pretty sure that to Stanley 'expression' comes before 'meaning'.

Alex

The pacing of the film is near-perfect; with the only misstep being the tediously extended 'warp' journey towards the end. George Lucas should cgi the sequence up a bit, add a few explosions and lens flair.

I've seen all 10 - for reals.

And I liked them all too, except Casablanca, which I found boring.

I actually went into The Great Escape fairly weary... I generally have a hard time getting into older movies, especially with their slower paces. But I was almost instantly captivated by it, and just loved the whole thing.

Would love to see it again on blu.

I've watched the Godfather trilogy on DVD on three days in a row.

Three of the most rewarding film experiences in my life.

People who lie about seeing these should actually watch them.