The Godfather tops list of films people lie about seeing

A24

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones I have not seen on that list are The Great Escape, 2001: A Space Odyssey and This Is Spinal Tap.

I do.

I've been reading English for decades.

What films have you lied about seeing?

For me.

Munich

Far & Away

Sleepers

The Terminal

JFK

BOT4OJ

The connecting thread seems to be John Williams. :lol:

What films have you lied about seeing?

For me.

Munich

Far & Away

Sleepers

The Terminal

JFK

BOT4OJ

That's better! I want the fakers to reveal themselves. They must be punished. I will cast the first stone!

I haven't seen any of the following:

1. The Godfather (30%)

2. Casablanca (13%)

3. Taxi Driver (11%)

5. Reservoir Dogs (8%)

6. This Is Spinal Tap (7%)

7. Apocalypse Now (6%)

*. Blade Runner (5%)

10. The Great Escape (4%)

My excuse as a so called 'film buff'? I find it hard to sit down for several hours and give all my attention to a film that may be dialogue heavy, involve an ensemble cast, or be concerned with a subject I have no interest in. I do everything through my computer. As long as the Internet is there, concentration suffers.

While at first I thought, I've clearly never done this, it dawned on me that it's entirely possible. What I mean is, I think I've been propositioned several times to watch movies, which I had no interest in watching, and replied that I'd already seen them. That's the closest I've come to this practice.

To fit in ... insecurity ... one might be afraid of showing a shortage of cultural education or knowledge.

Yeah, but that doesn't stop at movies, it goes for music, books, etc. as well.

Perhaps I looked at the topic as too specifically movie-centric.

Then how can you call yourself a film buff?

When I watch a film....I watch a film. Period.

It's something people have labelled me with. I love film music, and am generally interested in how films are made, from a mostly technical viewpoint (filming to post). I've watched tons of making of shows as a kid. I'm just not very good at getting round to watching films themselves, mainly older ones.

Isn't the Catch 22 that if you lied about seeing it, wouldn't you also lie about the lie, here in this thread?

"The Godfather" happens to be one of my favoite films.

Actually, I forgot to mention that it's also been ages since I've seen The Godfather. The only thing I remember about it is that it failed to impress me.

The really disgusting fact is that people lie about it just to agree with others what great film it is in the first place. I generally enjoy more to trash films people like. And i must see them to do so with relish.

Actually, I forgot to mention that it's also been ages since I've seen The Godfather. The only thing I remember about it is that it failed to impress me.

That's very honest of you. I'm sure a lot of movies (and books) are being falsely loved. I mean, if people lie about what movies they have seen, then it's not strange to think they lie about the love they feel too. Let's face it, not only is it easy to add 2001: A Space Odyssey to your favorite list of movies, it also very chic. It instantly turns you in a smart movie buff.

Alex

I always liked the second Godfather movie better, but that's probably a common opinion. But then again The Conversation is better than both of them. Partially because I like the score very much.

Karol

I still haven't seen Casablanca, although I've never pretended to have seen it. Godfather wasn't as good as I was expecting, although I was only about 18 when I saw it. I'll rewatch it eventually.

I do it a lot, mainly because I don't want to get into conversation with people who think 300 or The Hangover are the best movies ever made. So generally I'll just agree to seeing it, agree vaguely with whatever plaudits are given, and then change the subject.

Don't do it online, though, because the majority of the population of places I visit have a decent appreciation of film.

I'm one of the type that find Godfather II weaker than the original, which is overall an engrossing and entertaining film. In II, the backstory is quite good, but the future stuff with Michael? Yawn. I appreciate that it's showing the rise and fall of the family. But the original kinda does that as well, a bit better actually. And it's not so damn long. The thing in that one was, Michael was a tragic character. I find myself caring about him a lot more in the original, as opposed to the bastard he's become in the sequel.

I enjoy many films that aren't considered great or were actually bombs or poorly received, but my top favorites list is almost completely filled with blockbusters, most from the 1970s and 80s. It's probably very cliche, but I don't care. Psycho is my favorite Hitchcock. Mega boring choice, right? Spielberg? Yeah, most of the usual suspects: E.T., Jaws, the Indys, Close Encounters, etc. A few years ago I picked up a John Ford collection and I was seriously falling asleep through many of his films. I guess I need a lot of whiz-bang effects, aliens, spaceships, and John Williams-scored popcorny blockbuster type flicks to keep me entertained. But they were enormous hits for a reason and they connected with me, most since I was a child. Whatever.

What a rant.

I have seen:

1. The Godfather (30%)

4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (9%)

7. Apocalypse Now (6%)

8. Goodfellas (5%)

*. Blade Runner (5%)

10. The Great Escape (4%)

I have not seen:

2. Casablanca (13%)

3. Taxi Driver (11%)

5. Reservoir Dogs (8%) (though I own the DVD, and can watch it whenever I feel like)

6. This Is Spinal Tap (7%)

I don't walk into a Blockbuster intending to rent those that I haven't seen, they're just not films I remember well enough not having seen when I see them on the shelf. Put them on TCM, then I'll give them a shot. AMC, not so much, that channel has too many commercials.

I've seen Casablanca (in a theater! with a theater organ performance beforehand!), Blade Runner, half of 2001, and a little of The Godfather. Can't say I've ever lied about any of 'em, though. The most I'll do is nod and laugh with the rest of the group when someone is clearly making a reference to a film I should have seen but nevertheless haven't.

I've seen all those film with exception of Reservoir Dogs.

And there's a possibility I've seen that one, I just don't remember it.

Everyone who ACTUALLY watched 2001: A Space Odyssey died of boredom.

So the actual figure is close to 100% lie about it.

- Blume, posting from purgatory. Oh and the book is actually good.