The Godfather tops list of films people lie about seeing

A24

Everyone who ACTUALLY watched 2001: A Space Odyssey died of boredom.

So the actual figure is close to 100% lie about it.

- Blume, posting from purgatory. Oh and the book is actually good.

I forced myself to sit through 2001 and Blade Runner 3 times each.

Here's a space movie that is far more suitable for you guys!

198625.1020.A.jpg

Once was enough for that crap.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a space movie that is far more suitable for you guys!

198625.1020.A.jpg

Never seen it. My guess it that it's too far at the other end of the spectrum. I prefer a a nice happy medium...something intermediate between flesh-blisteringly relentless action and shots that last for several decades.

Hmm...I'm still pretty well alive.

It's a wonderful film, visually, and the music is used quite effectively. Ultimately, the vibe just worked for me. I can see how it's not for everybody, but I enjoyed it. Really, the film clicks with me the way a lot of Yes songs do--the lyrics don't make sense, but the sounds all come together.

I'm probably explaining myself horribly, but there it is.

It's a wonderful film, visually, and the music is used quite effectively. Ultimately, the vibe just worked for me. I can see how it's not for everybody, but I enjoyed it. Really, the film clicks with me the way a lot of Yes songs do--the lyrics don't make sense, but the sounds all come together.

I would agree...if they'd just shown the same events in about a third the time. :P

I'm not sure why 2001 is considered cerebral.

What about it is exactly cerebral?

It had *cool* and novel concepts (for its time), but that does not fire off enough neurons to be called "cerebral."

It's a bold film, in that it pretty much relies solely on images. I don't find it necessarily cerebral, I just find Kubrick's direction and camerawork mesmerizing. Not to mention HAL is one of the greatest villains ever put on film.

Yeah, but there isn't a whole lot for the brain to reflect about during the rests in this movie!

Honestly, I think Kubrick could have accomplished the same thing by throwing up a question mark on the screen and attached some classical music to it.

And I say all this with the utmost amazement at the technical achievement of 2001. It changed Hollywood from a technical standpoint. Not sure about from a literary perspective.

Since when has everyone hated 2001?

Ever since it became trendy to hate Abrams Trek.*

*Never. Some here confuse JWfan with real life.

Well I was referring to the board here. I thought it was held in higher regard among members. Or maybe it's just that Alex praises it so much it encompassed everyone else.

It's a bold film, in that it pretty much relies solely on images. I don't find it necessarily cerebral, I just find Kubrick's direction and camerawork mesmerizing.

I think that's what I'm getting at here. Watching the movie you realize and understand that Kubrick is purely an artist, and as such his vision for the film severely limits the potential of the film, taking it into the realm of boredom and excess ambiguity.

You read Arthur C. Clarke's novel and you have a clear sense that this man has is both artist AND scientist, as he puts forth thought provoking ideas throughout, where Kubrick just throws up question marks.

I like feeling. That's why I watch movies. 2001 does not make me feel, because it's not engaging. It's background noise.

The special effects made me feel things..."I WANT TO DO THAT WHEN I GROW UP!" but...that had nothing to do with the substance of the movie.

Science is irrelevant in films.

Indeed, the realm of written words is where cerebral and thought-provoking ideas is at.

Cerebral and thought-provoking ideas aren't just limited to science. Far from it.

You've mentioned Yes in a comparison to 2001.

I don't think I cam watch it again now.

It's a bold film, in that it pretty much relies solely on images. I don't find it necessarily cerebral, I just find Kubrick's direction and camerawork mesmerizing.

I think that's what I'm getting at here. Watching the movie you realize and understand that Kubrick is purely an artist, and as such his vision for the film severely limits the potential of the film, taking it into the realm of boredom and excess ambiguity.

You read Arthur C. Clarke's novel and you have a clear sense that this man has is both artist AND scientist, as he puts forth thought provoking ideas throughout, where Kubrick just throws up question marks.

?

I've never seen The Godfather, and furthermore, I've never lied about it.

Truth be told, gangster movies are a tough sell for me. It's hard to get me excited about them.

I've seen The Godfather, 2001: A Space Odyssey, This Is Spinal Tap, and The Great Escape multiple times each and would definitely count them as all-time favorites. I've also seen the other six, but only once each and I can't say I'm anything more than indifferent to any of those. Definitely don't feel like I'd have a more positive reaction watching them again, except maybe Casablanca.

As for lying about seeing movies, I can't remember any specific instances (though I probably have), but I have acted as though I liked a movie more than I actually did, mainly to avoid arguments.

Friend: Reservoir Dogs is my favorite movie ever!

Me: Oh yeah, that's a really great one! *change subject immediately*

I've seen all of those except Casablanca* and The Great Escape.

*Well, I've seen portions of it, because when I was watching it I was drifting in and out of sleep. :ph34r:

I can't be bothered to see 2001, The Great Escape or Casablanca either. Tarantino films are hit or miss with me.

I discovered the pleasures of Blade Runner a few years ago (which is one of my favorite films). I rented the "Final Cut" from the library, and watched it. I was amazed -- there's tons of little details and bigger ones story-wise and production-wise that film scholars wrote dozens of papers on. It's not for everyone, but wow. Jordan Cronoweth's photography is a landmark in cinematography -- with the filters and lighting.

I can't be bothered to see 2001,

I discovered the pleasures of Blade Runner a few years ago (which is one of my favorite films). I rented the "Final Cut" from the library, and watched it. I was amazed -- there's tons of little details and bigger ones story-wise and production-wise that film scholars wrote dozens of papers on. It's not for everyone, but wow. Jordan Cronoweth's photography is a landmark in cinematography -- with the filters and lighting.

Watch 2001 again. The two have very much in common. Both celebral (very much relying on an active interaction with the viewer's mind) and visually immersive. At first, I didn't really like 2001 either, I was way more into the other sci-fi movies but now it's the other way around. Star Wars & co are sorta boring to me now.

Alex

I can't be bothered to see 2001,

Watch 2001 again. The two have very much in common. At first, I didn't really like it either, I was way more into the other sci-fi movies but now it's the other way around. Star Wars is sorta boring to me now.

Alex

I don't understand the people who seem to think SW and 2001 can't co-exist. I love both movies unconditionally, it doesn't have to be one or the other, especially as I don't really view SW as being sf.

I do like them both. I don't hate Star Wars but I notice that it no longer tickles me. I've seen it now. I processed it. There's nothing left for me to engage in with. The formula has grown stale over time. It doesn't have what it takes to survive in the new century.

films people lie about seeing

I don't see why somebody would lie about having seen a film, even if as a short term strategy not to look silly in the company of others who bring it up.

I mean, you're going to look a lot more silly if someone in the groups calls you on it and asks you what your favourite scene or bit of dialogue was. Oh, I haven't watched 2,5,6 or 8

Another movie (Solyaris) many people falsely claimed to have seen.

Basically, you're completely devoid of nostalgia.

I wouldn't say that but nostalgia is generally not a good criterion when judging something.

Another movie (Solyaris) many people falsely claimed to have seen.

Basically, you're completely devoid of nostalgia.

I wouldn't say that but nostalgia is generally not a good criterion when judging something.

Can only speak for myself, but I stopped judging Star Wars about twenty years ago.

I'd be more apt to lie and say I haven't seen a certain film when I actually watched it than I would falsely claiming to have seen a movie.

I'm more embarrassed to admit I've seen Bay's Transformers but have no problem mentioning I haven't seen Avatar.

I can't be bothered to see 2001, The Great Escape or Casablanca either. Tarantino films are hit or miss with me.

You can't be bothered? That's an odd statement. I don't know about you but I like seeing classic films that I've never seen before.

And if Tarantino is a hit or miss, why not take the chance and see if Reservoir Dogs is a hit? It's only 2 hours.

And if Tarantino is a hit or miss, why not take the chance and see if Reservoir Dogs is a hit? It's only 2 hours.

I love Inglourious Basterds. Tried watching Pulp Fiction, couldn't get into it. And like I said, it's hard for me to get into the gangster genre. I probably would've avoided The Departed if it weren't for the cast and stellar WOM.

I put off watching the Godfather 1 and 2 for so long. I just had no intentions. I did finally see them though, truly amazing films.

I have absolutely no intentions of watching the 3rd one.

It's somewhat like ROTJ is to the original trilogy - The first two films are great, you could make an argument the second film is better than the first. And while the same cast & crew and production values are present for the third, it feels like a letdown with only one character's arc worth watching.

I put off watching the Godfather 1 and 2 for so long. I just had no intentions. I did finally see them though, truly amazing films.

I have absolutely no intentions of watching the 3rd one.

Then you're missing out a lot. THE GODFATHER PART III is the operatic, heartbreaking conclusion that the first two films deserved.